Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120v lighting circuit...

Options
  • 22-01-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    Due to a number of mess ups in various places, I am now needing to get some advice on would it be possible and feasible to wire a 120v lighting circuit in a house that is being built for my father in law.
    The reason being I have been left with a large quantity of very expensive Z-Wave (Home automation) dimmer switches from the US that are designed for 120v US electricity. And we now need to integrate them into an Irish wiring system.
    The house is still under construction and as such redesigning the wiring is still an option..... or is it... any advice/suggestions MUCH appreciated.
    Thanks for the help.

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Technically possible using a suitably rated 120V transformer feeding a separate 120V distribution panel, but don't know if it's worth it. Would always be a hassle finding replacement bulbs etc.

Personally I'd try and sell the dimmers on ebay in 120V region and buy 230V ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Pete67 wrote: »
    Technically possible using a suitably rated 120V transformer feeding a separate 120V distribution panel, but don't know if it's worth it. Would always be a hassle finding replacement bulbs etc.

Personally I'd try and sell the dimmers on ebay in 120V region and buy 230V ones.

Not a bad idea. I think anyone adding on to the system afterwards would suffer.

There are 120V fittings available off the shelf here, but most are industrial ones used on building sites, however I'm sure that you could look at some LED options too.

but if it was me I'd take Pete67's advice.

Advertisement