Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Speed Issue

Options
  • 22-01-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm on NTL 20Mb, and I can only get a maximum speed of 7Mb over wireless. It's definitely a wireless problem as I get the full 20Mb over ethernet. I had thought the problem was with the Netgear router that comes with it, so I bought a Linksys WRT160N, a wireless N router, even though the adapters on the computer are only wireless G, but it hasn't made any difference.

There are 3 computers and they all have a full signal strength in windows. I have tried the different wireless channels, tried without security, with WEP and WPA, updated the firmware on the router, unplugged the cordless phone, and even if the laptop is directly beside the router I can only get a max of 7Mb. Can anyone give me any idea as to where else the problem could be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pinksnack

If it's like you say, then an all-11n wireless network will remove this bottleneck. Some entry-level 11n router - I've used 3com and Dlink - plus an 11n interface for each machine should be sufficient for home use.

You've got the 11n router already, so now you need to get the 11n i/fs and switch the router to all-11n mode (i.e. not mixed 11g/11n nor mixed 11n/11g/11b).

This will exclude any visiting 11b/11g clients from connecting - they will need an 11n i/f if they want to connect wirelessly.

Please use WPA also, never use WEP again (bad peeps out there).

All the best,
    Pinksnack.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In simple terms any wireless g card on the network will drag down the standard to g even though the router may be 'n'. What I would suggest is buy one 'n' card or usb dongle and try it with the new router (with the other pc's turned off of course) and see if that improves your speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pinksnack

From the wifi site:

"...but the dramatic range and throughput improvements are only possible when both the client device (notebook computers, gaming devices, printers, cameras, etc.) and access points are Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 802.11n draft 2.0."
    [ http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge_center_overview.php?docid=4554. ]

For your linksys router, this means setting the network mode to "Wireless-N only".

I quote from the Linksys user guide, ch 3., page 11,
    Basic Wireless Settings, Network Mode:
    "If you have only Wireless-N devices, select Wireless-N Only."

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

Thanks but I realise that having G adapters will mean G speeds. I really upgraded the router because Linksys are supposed to be better than Netgear. Getting N devices is not really an option so I wanted to know if anyone has any more ideas as to where the problem could be. G devices connected at 54Mbps should be well fast enough to carry the full 20 Mbps and certainly more than 7, especially when they are DIRECTLY beside the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

54g has a max throughput 0f 15-20mb/s. Though your right you should be getting alot more than 7mb over a 54g connection.

I have 10mb ntl and can download at 10mb on any 54g device with the standard netgear router.

Obviously something is bottlenecking your throughput severely. Try changing your wireless channel, switching to G only mode etc. Just fiddle around with any and all settings on your router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement