Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Pubs - Review

Options
  • 22-01-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

This post inspired by the Drogheda pub review.
    Please note when I refer to the quality of the pints I mean Guiness :)

Oscars - Friendly staff and a fairly decent pint. Good music both mid week and at the weekends.

Cheers - If your a border line alcoholic or even a full blown one well I would reccomend Cheers. Pretty rough pub, never stayed long enough to try the pints

The Emerald - Not to sure if this spot is still open, was a fairly decent pub, grand pints but watch what company you keep, can have some dodgy regulars.

Mc Manus's - Not a bad pub at all, could do with a bit of a clean in the jacks but otherwise a nice pub. Good pints

The Beerkeeper/Bartender - Love this pub, always good craic at the weekends. Although I would recomend getting early as it will fill up quick, Nice smoking area and stick to the bottom bar for pints. Also does exotic a nd foreign beers.

Good Time Charlies - Some of the best craic in town, pretty small though. Tuesdays is karaoke night and is always good fun. Smoking are is narrow and can get easily cramped as can the bar. Pints can be ok, but bad at times.

Vinegarmans - Best Guinness in town! Enough said.

Thats just a few, there are several other pubs in the town so feel free to add more in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Vinegarmans - Best Guinness in town! Enough said.

I think you will find Toales has the best pint of stout in town!

Jimmys (Oscars) and Good Time Charlies can have a few undesirables in them at times.

McManus's is a sound pub.

Bartender is also cool.

Vinegarmans- I do enjoy a pint in there

Parkes - Pints aren't usually the best

McGeoughs - Good food but again, with pub food, tends to taint the beer.

Jim McKeowns - Good pint and nice

Courtneys -Good pub and craic is good

Brubakers - V. Bad pint of stout in there. Haven't been back for a retry.

Toales - As said best pint in town - but always racing shoite on

Johnny Masosn - Nice pub - pint of carlsberg was okay in it aswell

Phoenix- Okay but wouldn't stay long in it

Spirit Store - Cool pub just a bit out of the way if you are in town - taxi there and back

Will add more when I think of them

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

Would have to agree with you there on alot of those pubs. haven't been in Toales in a long while, but from what I remember it is a good pint.

I did leave a lot of them out as I thought it would be a quicker way to get a discussion going:P

But most pubs will have a few undesireables on some nights to be fair, and as for The Phoenix, or Sweaty Betty's as it is is fondly known to regulars, can definatley have many undesireables, dont frequent it much and when I do i dont stay long.

But feel free to add some rural pubs to this, I know a few good ones but they aint very welcomin to outsiders haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

The Wee House in anne st is a great wee pub. Traditional Music Session on a friday with fra and friends is great craic. They are very careful choosing their customers so there are definitely no undesirables. The couple running it are very nice people and there's also a big screen for the matches in the lounge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

It’s funny how people have such a varied degree of opinion on certain pubs. Some of the pubs mentioned in previous posts I wouldn’t go into if I’d a stab vest or a death wish but likewise some of the ones criticized I like! Personally I would never venture north of the Courthouse. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Here my particular stroke !

Beerkeeper/Tender; love this pub but not at the weekend, too stuffy, nice to go for a drink during the week, nice and cosy, not that anyone can afford to do that nowadays!

Phoenix; Great pub and nice to go in and see the changing themes, she really does put thought and energy into it. but I much prefer it when she’s not there, it’s too stressful when you know she’s eyeing up the 2mm space between you and the stranger next to you ! but I would never say it has a few undesirables frequenting it………………….though I think I know the particular ‘one’ you mean!

VinegarMans; good pub but fairly uncomfortable seating throughout!

Parkes; good music on a Saturday night……some dodgy characters in situ though.

Punters/Gormleys; was in it maybe 4 times and always had a good time though there was always a quare crowd around the window area for some reason!

Oscars; only good if your seated at the window facing out, very cramped otherwise.

Spirit Store; Great athmosphere but agree it’s a bit far out, would be great if it had a shuttle bus to and from town! I wonder have they a suggestion box !

Russells; Was great back in the day, think it changed hands since.

58x was a great disco bar, danes isn’t a patch on it.

Overall I think we have some fairly decent places in the town, if only we could go back to the time when you could be guaranteed a crowd when you went to a pub!

bettedavis wrote: »
    but I would never say it has a few undesirables frequenting it………………….though I think I know the particular ‘one’ you mean!

I think we all know that particular 'one', from what I hear they managed to get themselves a slap after acting a little smug in the bar a short time before xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

58x was a great disco bar, danes isn’t a patch on it.

Danes is now closed. And has been for a few weeks now.
    It is now a Londis sore and owned by the same crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I think we all know that particular 'one', from what I hear they managed to get themselves a slap after acting a little smug in the bar a short time before xmas?

But wasn't it overdue!

+1 for the Phoenix despite some of the poncy crowd that it gets. Also like McKeowns, a proper drinking pub. Outside of the town centre, the Greenore is very relaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

who on earth said crime time charlies was good craic?

jesus christ, id rather drink water at home

But wasn't it overdue!

Yes long long overdue, said person used to live near me, not a terribly nice man it has to be said. I couldn't believe it when I heard what happened to him, was a quality bit of news.

As regards "Crime Time Charlies", I think its can be a good wee pub, karaoke can be good fun and I just dont pass any heed to all the "undesireables" and so called crime that goes on, personally I haven't seen anything to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

As regards "Crime Time Charlies", I think its can be a good wee pub, karaoke can be good fun and I just dont pass any heed to all the "undesireables" and so called crime that goes on, personally I haven't seen anything to bad

Have only been there on a Monday or a Thursday and had great nights in it. Have heard from family and friend that have been there at the weekend that there was a fair few scummers in it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mondo_ie

event wrote: »
    who on earth said crime time charlies was good craic?

jesus christ, id rather drink water at home

haha quality answer. i have to say i agree. haven't been in it in over a year as carlsberg say "probably the worst pub in the TOWN":)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Don't forget Corbetts-Decent pints, always have the footy on and always great for a game of pool. :)

petes wrote: »
    Jimmys (Oscars) and Good Time Charlies can have a few undesirables in them at times.
    I
    Oscars; only good if your seated at the window facing out, very cramped otherwise.

Just reading through this thread and realised that it's very out of date! I've picked out the Jimmys one as a pub that changed hands about 4 years ago solely because I was talking with the owner in it recently. I'd recommend it highly now, it's bright, more airy and gets a decent clientele. Some of the other pubs from 2009 are no longer with us either, what a difference a few years makes not least the reopening of Russels

Just reading through this thread and realised that it's very out of date! I've picked out the Jimmys one as a pub that changed hands about 4 years ago solely because I was talking with the owner in it recently. I'd recommend it highly now, it's bright, more airy and gets a decent clientele. Some of the other pubs from 2009 are no longer with us either, what a difference a few years makes not least the reopening of Russels

Too true, I know Vincy very well at this stage, so much so I was sponsored by Jimmys in the kube the other week, what a difference a few years makes is right!! Haven't been in Russels yet but might pop in for a nosey at the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

what's the story with Russell's now you mention it? Is it
    going for the same clientele? Spent many a great night in there filling the jukebox. Wonder did they keep the 'springless holey seat' in tribute of the old days! ;(

No, they have gutted the place entirely. Heard the drink is a bit pricey but heard it's nice. Can't say too much as I'm only going on other people's opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

They have done a lovely job of it. Nice big fire there too.

Was in it yesterday evening, thought it was really nice and a great smoking area! I'll go back in for a pint!

Was in it myself the other night, had a very much new feel about it. Not to different internally, yo'd still know the shape from the old one There's obviously been a lot spent on it, it's very well appointed.
    Still it's approaching Dublin pricing for pints at €4.60 for lager probably worth it for the surroundings though. Good thing for Park Street given how empty it's become over the last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I must give it a look. I had to laugh the other night though. Was passing it and there was a doorman on it. That's a first for that place :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement