Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request: Teflon Tape Mod

Options
  • 22-01-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I saw this mentioned in another thread and have given it a google but havn't gotten any clear results.

Can someone describe, preferably with pics, where the tape is put to improve the air seal?
    I've not done this mod before and would like to try it and measure the results.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Be careful man. That particular mod usually puts an aeg way up over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Dont worry, I'll use ms90 teflon tape. :)

If it makes a big increase, that means its improving efficiency a great deal, and I can use lower power springs, upping rof and reducing wear.

A decent aeg shouldn't gain too much fps, as it wouldnt have a big leak.

I'll be making sure everything is below the limit, don't worry.

Can someone who has done this explain where the tape goes?

I cant imagine it fitting in between the hop rubber and hop unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Can someone who has done this explain where the tape goes?

I cant imagine it fitting in between the hop rubber and hop unit.

You have a PM

Aparantly the results are pretty drastic, not a mod to attempt if you don't own a chrono for sure.

Sorry Hive for not realising what you meant, I was planning on doing it to a quite low fps aep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Aparantly the results are pretty drastic, not a mod to attempt if you don't own a chrono for sure.

Sorry Hive for not realising what you meant, I was planning on doing it to a quite low fps aep.

I posted it hereabouts ages ago. It doesn't make a huge difference, just a bit, but I was having a little trouble with gas... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

it depends a lot on the combination of components but i;ve had results ranging from a 10fps increase to a 25 - 30 fps increase, as other have said not something you should do with a chrono for testing, it does help with fps consistency, so with the right component combination can be of use but something to be careful of as the result are note consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Teflon Tape is the white stuff you put in plubing joints for a better seal right?

I tried this before, didnt hold at all.

From my understaning of it, this is only needed if the seal between nozzle and hop is bad, would it not be better to get a new nozzle/unit/rubber instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Its not only for the hop rubber/nozzle.
    It can be used to pack out an o-ring on the piston head to sealing up a cylinder head etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It can be used to pack out an o-ring on the piston head to sealing up a cylinder head etc.

That makes alot more sense, the o-rings are often quite loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Puding wrote: »
    it depends a lot on the combination of components but i;ve had results ranging from a 10fps increase to a 25 - 30 fps increase, as other have said not something you should do with a chrono for testing, it does help with fps consistency, so with the right component combination can be of use but something to be careful of as the result are note consistent

It does definitely depend on the components in use, but I've personally seen increases much higher than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭kalkor

Iv got an M15 doing 210 - 215 would love to know what to do with teflon tape and the cylinder on this . . ?

If it's that low, I would advise changing the spring for a ms90 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I personally think this thread should be deleted.

This particular modification can give big boosts to fps, so much so that I'm starting to see alot of people doing them.... putting them way over the limit.

Its a quickfix solution to an underlying more serious problem. ( airleak, airnozzle, spring etc)

Or its a quick upgrade for someone looking to get their gun knowingly over the limit

Well at the end of the day,the intent of the person using the hot gun is what matters, how they got the aeg over the 1 joule limit is irrelevant.

Ill ask what the other mods think though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I tend to agree. If the end result is your gun is hot then thats your fault. This mod has other effects but the end power should be a considertion during the mod process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I wouldn't mind boosting my two rifles a little bit, because they're so far under the limits. But as I've said before it's foolish to try to get any gun right up against the limit because it gives you no headroom or safety margin and you could easily find yourself over the 1J if you changed BBs or measured at different air density or whatever.

You also have to bear in mind that your velocity limit depends on the weight of BBs you're using.

I personally wouldn't bother with this mod on a pistol, they're supposed to be used at close quarters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a tough one alright.

I think when it comes down to it, many mods can push an airsoft device over 1 joule. Be it teflon, a new spring..whatever.

If we allow discussion of people upgrading springs for example, then I don't see the difference between that and this.

People just need to as careful with this as they would be doing any other upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

Sure if you end up with a rifle or aeg over the limit then you won't be able to skirmish as most sites chrono before you skirmish it so there's no point in locking the thread. Just be aware that you could end up going over the limit and to chrono it to make sure its not over.

if you can get more pressure this way you can use a shorter, less tense spring and thus lightening the load on your gears and motor? thus they last longer AND you get more shots out of a battery?

is this not good?

doest this increase dependability?

and anyone intending to skirmish a hot gun would ideally not escape the vigilance of other players and site owners?

can i please get instruction on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Masada wrote: »

thats what id like to know how to do:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kalkor wrote: »
    thats what id like to know how to do:cool:

wrap it around

teflon tape is called ptfe tape or plumbers tape its 50c a roll in any shop that sells taps

Tigger wrote: »
    wrap it around

teflon tape is called ptfe tape or plumbers tape its 50c a roll in any shop that sells taps

wrap it around over the o-ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

kalkor wrote: »
    wrap it around over the o-ring?

no wrap it around your ring....

no wrap it around your ring....

ehhhhhhh ..... :confused:

In the space under the o-ring.

I find that an o-ring thats too tight can reduce fps.

Remember most cylinder heads are ventilated now, and the o-ring has to be free to move back and forth to allow the vents to work.

On the back stroke, the o-ring moves forward on the cylinder head creating a gap, breaking the airseal for the back stroke.

• Advertisement

yeah wasnt sure at all there, i just sealed the vent in the cylinder and that seems to have brought the power up a bit

Advertisement