Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man U - FA Cup 3rd Rnd

Options
  • 22-01-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Harry is going to play bench warmers and kids for this one...Quote: "It will be a real very, very weakened team going to Old Trafford because we play Stoke on Tuesday".

Tbo, I can't blame him. Our squad is so weak and depleted that we can't afford any more injuries. The players need to focus 100% on getting results in the league and climbing the table into safety.

It's only goal difference keeping us out of the bottom three presently however our few wins and we could be in the top ten.

To say the bottom half of the table is tight would be an understatement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm glad I've had to blow this out due work, it will be an excruciating 90 mins to watch.

Apparently the kids are off in Mexico for some tournament so little chance of the likes of Bostock or Parett making an appearance, so what's your team?

Cesar/Alnwick (don't matter, both are toilet]
    Gunter
    Rocha
    Dawson
    Bale
    Taarabt
    Zokora
    O'Hara
    dos Santos
    Pav
    Campbell

?

Fcuk me...:eek:

King won't be risked, Woodgate picked up a knock last night. Can't see Bentley feature if Lennon is a risk for Tuesday night (anyone know?) and Defoe will be rested with the league game in mind. Can see Zokora play, as he'll be dropped for Palacios anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'll go with

Gomes
    Gunter
    Rocha
    Hudd
    BAE

Taarabt
    Zokora
    Jenas if fit
    Bale

Campbell
    Bent if fit

It could go either way, 1. we get fcukin battered out of sight, or 2.they play with some pride, hold United for 50 mins and cave in, either way I cant see anything but a home win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'm glad I've had to blow this out due work, it will be an excruciating 90 mins to watch.

Apparently the kids are off in Mexico for some tournament so little chance of the likes of Bostock or Parett making an appearance, so what's your team?

Gunter
    Rocha
    Dawson
    Bale
    Taarabt
    Zokora
    O'Hara
    dos Santos
    Pav
    Campbell

?

Fcuk me...:eek:

King won't be risked, Woodgate picked up a knock last night. Can't see Bentley feature if Lennon is a risk for Tuesday night (anyone know?) and Defoe will be rested with the league game in mind. Can see Zokora play, as he'll be dropped for Palacios anyway.
    Harrys made it clear he likes Zokora so i doubt he'll drop him for Palacios,at least he ran his ass off last night even if it didn't come to much....

tippspur wrote: »
    Harrys made it clear he likes Zokora so i doubt he'll drop him for Palacios,at least he ran his ass off last night even if it didn't come to much....

I'd be surpised if he went with Zokora and Palacios in the centre together, can see Zokora being a utility player either as cover for Palacios, part of a middle three or filling in at full back. We can't afford to play 4-4-2 with the two of them in the middle unless he gets a decent option in for the left of midfield. I can see Modric and Palacios in the middle with O'Hara on the left and Lennon or Bentley on the right tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

From watching last night's match, there's ONE thing that I think would make a HUGE difference......

When the backs are clearing the ball, they need to direct it towards a Spurs player; last night (and in the previous leg and in other matches) the "clearances" are going straight to the opposition and therefore keeping the pressure on.

A combination of cooler heads while clearing, as well as a more intuitive and eager midfield would reap HUGE dividends......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I predict that Defoe, Pav, Zokora, Lennon, Woody, Dawson, Corluka and Gomes will be left out of the squad for this one.

I fancy he'll start with something like this:-
    Alnwick
    Gunter.....Rocha.....BAK.....Bale
    Dos santos.....Bentley.....Hudd.....Jenas.....Taarabt
    Bent
    And we'll win 3-2 with a 93rd minute goal by Rocha :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Gunter
    Rocha
    Dawson
    Bale
    Taarabt
    Zokora
    O'Hara
    dos Santos
    Pav
    Campbell

?

As he is on loan, would Fergie allow Campbell to play against manyoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Holy Fcuk.

OHara is a massive loss if he's out for several weeks.

Harry Redknapp has a host of injuries to contend with ahead of Saturday's FA Cup fourth round tie at Manchester United.

The manager faces taking on the champions without up to 11 injured players - many of whom he's worried may not be fit to face Stoke in a key Premier League fixture at the Lane on Tuesday.

On top of that, he's without Fraizer Campbell at Old Trafford as the loanee striker cannot play against his parent club.

The players who are definitely out for Saturday are goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes (thigh), Vedran Corluka (groin), Ledley King (hamstring), Aaron Lennon (groin), Jermaine Jenas (calf), Darren Bent (groin), Jamie O'Hara (hip) and Alan Hutton (foot).

Harry reported that Jonathan Woodgate (back) and Luka Modric (back, hamstring) were also unlikely to feature and that Michael Dawson had 'about four different injuries'.

Neverthless, the manager said he would play the strongest team available.

"We've got so many injuries it's very difficult to put out our strongest team," he said. "I will field the best available team.

"I had players missing at Burnley but I didn't rest them - I wouldn't rest them for a semi-final that takes us to Wembley, they just weren't fit.

"Aaron Lennon, Corluka, Ledley King, Gomes - they weren't fit for Burnley and won't be fit for Saturday. We've another list of injuries from Burnley as well.

"Jamie O'Hara is going for a scan on a hip problem and could be out for several weeks

"Luka Modric has a bit of a stiff back and he feels his hamstrings are getting a bit tight. He could be fit for tomorrow though and if he's fit, he'll play. Jonthan Woodgate is also struggling.

"However, we're not taking a reserve team to Old Trafford and everyone who is fit, will play,"

Harry also suggested that Giovani, Adel Taarabt and Ricardo Rocha will all be involved and Academy goalkeeper Mirko Ranieri was likely to be on the bench as cover for Ben Alnwick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With 'arrys priorities and Fergies + defence crisis, this could be one facinating game for the rest of us. Luckily it doesn't really matter for either side.

Tottenham’s on-loan striker Fraizer Campbell is ineligible to play against parent club Manchester United in the FA Cup at Old Trafford this week.

Spurs also have a host of injury problems ahead of the fourth-round tie, with Heurelho Gomes (thigh), Vedran Corluka (thigh), Ledley King (hamstring), Jermaine Jenas (calf), Jamie O’Hara (hip), Aaron Lennon (groin) and Darren Bent (groin) set to miss out.

Michael Dawson and Jonathan Woodgate are also doubtful with knocks, while Alan Hutton (foot) is a long-term absentee. Luka Modric (back/hamstring) will require a late test.

Provisional squad: Alnwick, Ranieri, Gunter, Bale, Dawson, Dervite, Rocha, Zokora, Bentley, Huddlestone, Giovani, Gilberto, Modric, Taarabt, Assou-Ekotto, Pavlyuchenko, Defoe, Parrett, Bostock, Obika.

• Advertisement

Seems the info I was given last night re. Bostock and co was way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

as far as i know palacios is suspended for this. i may be wrong though. i think ive read it some where. rumours doing the rounds that harry is fielding a team who are playing for their future at spurs. poor performance results in the door been shown. again not sure how true this is.

keane=cock wrote: »
    as far as i know palacios is suspended for this. i may be wrong though. i think ive read it some where. rumours doing the rounds that harry is fielding a team who are playing for their future at spurs. poor performance results in the door been shown. again not sure how true this is.
    As far as i know he is suspended for two games, so he will miss the Stoke city game on tues as well..it will be interesting to see how the Hudd will perform against Man U after his stroll the other night..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭pickles_17

campbell cant play for spurs cos hes on loan from utd! (isnt he?)

As far as i know he is suspended for two games, so he will miss the Stoke city game on tues as well.(

Hopefully the Burnley game would count as one and Manure the other of his two suspensions. Free to play against Stoke? Hope so.

ruiseal wrote: »
    Hopefully the Burnley game would count as one and Manure the other of his two suspensions. Free to play against Stoke? Hope so.
    He wasn't signed in time for Burnley game to count..anyway I think he was cup tied for that one..

Don't think "cup-tied" counts; when he signs, all he has to do is miss two matches. Hope he signed in time before the Burnley game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

If he's given a full 90 minutes, could this be the game where the mercurial Adel Taarabt makes his mark? Some lovely touches in the first half of ET against Burnley...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

cxcully wrote: »
    If he's given a full 90 minutes, could this be the game where the mercurial Adel Taarabt makes his mark? Some lovely touches in the first half of ET against Burnley...
    Agree.

Team:

Alnwick, Gunter, Assou-Ekotto, Corluka, Dawson, Bentley, Huddlestone, Zokora, Bale, Modric, Pavlyuchenko.

SUBS - Gomes, Gilberto, Giovani, Taarabt, Defoe, Rocha, Dervite.

• Advertisement

HT. Same bull**** from Spurs since the late 90s....sitting back asking one of the top 4 teams to attack us. Inferiority complex with pussies for players. I groaned after 2 minutes seeing 10 players behind the halfway line.

Only hope is Defoe to come on to make a two man forward line.

cxcully wrote: »

eh no unfortunately.

Really demoralising performace from many players. Actually looked badly coached with no real coherent shape. Perhaps Redknapp wanted to crash out of the cup to concentrate. We bent over and opened our arse cheeks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Screw united back to hell :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

redknapp doest give a sh1te about the club or the fans anyway. We all know that he's at the club for the money and west ham is in his heart. He is the root cause for that performance today. He basically claimed he didn't want to win the game last Wednesday night, what kind of a manager would come out and say this. He's a self publicising idiot if you ask me and even if we stay up and win a cup i'd want him no where near OUR club after this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

redknapp doest give a sh1te about the club or the fans anyway. We all know that he's at the club for the money and west ham is in his heart. He is the root cause for that performance today. He basically claimed he didn't want to win the game last Wednesday night, what kind of a manager would come out and say this. He's a self publicising idiot if you ask me and even if we stay up and win a cup i'd want him no where near OUR club after this season.

Calm down there. Things ain't going well at the minute but we'll start picking up results again. Maybe look at the players who couldn't care less and there were plenty of them out on the pitch tonight. Redknapp isn't the problem here in my opinion we are carrying too many passengers and a lot of players need a serious kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Sorry pal, but that's total bollox.

dublin, okay so harry is at the club because he has a love for the club, and the fans etc... obviously he is there for his final big pay day... wasn't it 5m we paid Pompey for his services? he came out on wens after the game and said he was going to send a right old 'mish-mash' of a team to old trafford and he was 'sorry to the fans'... ask me bollarks. he doesn't give a sh1te about them. He started with a fairly strong team in the end, but if it wasn't for FA regulations he would have sooner got the tie over with. What kind of a message does this send to the players going out to play for the club against man utd yesterday? We lost that game before it even kicked off thanks to his comments on wens day, its disgraceful, and whats worse is that thanks to him and his medie buddies he'll always deflect the blame away from himself and, these days, on to the players. Publically 'slagging' them off as well... its neither here nor there whether Bent is ****e and did miss a sitter, do it behind closed doors.
    So my question is that which part of my previous post do you regard as 'absolute bollocks'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

dublin, okay so harry is at the club because he has a love for the club, and the fans etc... obviously he is there for his final big pay day... wasn't it 5m we paid Pompey for his services? he came out on wens after the game and said he was going to send a right old 'mish-mash' of a team to old trafford and he was 'sorry to the fans'... ask me bollarks. he doesn't give a sh1te about them. He started with a fairly strong team in the end, but if it wasn't for FA regulations he would have sooner got the tie over with. What kind of a message does this send to the players going out to play for the club against man utd yesterday? We lost that game before it even kicked off thanks to his comments on wens day, its disgraceful, and whats worse is that thanks to him and his medie buddies he'll always deflect the blame away from himself and, these days, on to the players. Publically 'slagging' them off as well... its neither here nor there whether Bent is ****e and did miss a sitter, do it behind closed doors.
    So my question is that which part of my previous post do you regard as 'absolute bollocks'?

All of it.

Harry is trying to put right a club in total disarray after years of mismanagement from top to bottom and a squad riddled with passengers and cowards.

Why shouldn't he publicly slag off a player ?? Obviously a quiet bollocking isn't working. Bar Defoe and Palacious none of the players are Harry's and he knows that most have little or no future at the club. That's great news to me.

As for the Utd game, after Burnley he said he was gonna play a weak side because of the Stoke game, he also aploogised to the fans for this. I have no problem with this and totally understand. Also he did'nt have to say anything at all, but it was nice to hear our manager talking openly about our players and our priorities as a club, after years of confusion under Jol/Commolli/Ramos.

You think he's only at Spurs for the money only and that he has no ambition to turn around our failings.
    Well that's entirely up to you but I think he has a lot more integrity than that. Time will tell if I am right.

I have to say I agree with Dublin spur on this one,Harry is trying to sort out a big mess of players some who obviosly dont give a ****. and plese dont talk about changing the manager again, we would be more of a laughing stock than we all ready are.

• Advertisement

years of mismanagement that under jol, and for a short while arnesen, that got to a bogey dinner of the CL ? On the pitch for two of the last 3 seasons we had been pushing towards the top 4, although we may not have got there we were going in the right direction. Eitherway, the issue of mismangement was down to Levy and his appointment of comolli after arnesen left. if he was to scrap the idea of the DoF he should have done it when a manager of Martin Oneills calibre was available but wouldnt come to us because of the structure.... but instaed at this stage we have the wonderful harry redknap, who's CV consists of the big clubs such as southampton, pompey, west ham... the man has already brought one team down out of that lot. Despite all his years in football he has won 1 trophy. it just shows how far we have fallen when we pin our hopes of survival on such a man.
    He has never accepted blame for anything, if the players aint motivated to try against man utd, well thats his fault im afraid, its his job to motivate them to want to play for the pride of the club if not themselves.
    Of course he is at the club for the money, he even said if we go down he's off... some loyalty that.
    Either way, i dreaded the day we were linked with him as i always thought he was an idiot who'd scrap a result or two a season that would keep fans of clubs happy to be staying up content, but now he's at the helm of our club lets not try and pretend he is something he is not.
    I will always cheer and suport the club and i pray we stay up, but while he is here we will be nothing more than a mid table club.
    COYS

Advertisement