Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.E.A.R II Demo

• 22-01-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this is up on live now, has anyone got it yet? impressions?

Can't get it myself cos i'm without my 360 for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Just noticed this is up on live now, has anyone got it yet? impressions?

Can't get it myself cos i'm without my 360 for a while.

:eek:awsome

downloading now;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Downloading it now. I like the way they allowed you to queue your downloads remotely with the new marketplace thing. Just a quick call home to get the xbox turned on and you're sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ye seems pritty good..What you'd expect..Pritty good graphics good AI etc.....Apparantley it just takes on from F.E.A.R 1 and ignores the expansions..I had to wiki it caused its been so long since ive played it ive forgotten the plot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Cheers for the heads up, downloading it now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Hm got lost in the dark so I turned it off, it does strike me as a game that would scare the bejesus out of me though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

i like! good AI and bloody creepy!

Just finished playing it now. Freaking awesome. Although I was sold on this the moment it was announced as I loved the first one. Still the horror bits are more accomplished (as in I could feel the shiver and the panic rather than just the odd jump). I played it on my own in the dark right up against the tele with headphones on - the way it should be played! Hope they bring back the penetrator, such fun pinning people to walls by their ankles. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Got it myself finally, but for the PS3. It's a big improvement graphically. Some parts pretty freaky too. the big power suit you get into is class too, blowing people to bits never gets boring! (in games....)

Got it myself finally, but for the PS3. It's a big improvement graphically. Some parts pretty freaky too. the big power suit you get into is class too, blowing people to bits never gets boring! (in games....)

It's such a great release after being scared and shot to pieces so making you feel really puny to hop in the mega mech and blow **** up! Whooo yah! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Played it earlier. Its brilliant. I was definatly creeped out, with
    that ghost thing and the lockers in the school.
    I'll definatly be picking this up when it comes out.

Any other info on it. Multiplayer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

played it last night on my own for a while,

had to switch it off and put the xbox in the freezer,

Bad xbox, bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I loved the first game!
    The online was brilliant.

I didn’t really like the expansions

F.E.A.R is an underrated game. Its the scariest and most atmospheric game on the 360.

I can’t wait for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

FEAR was good but it got very repititive towards the end. By the looks of this demo they've worked on a lot of the first game's flaws. Great demo too - you get your hands on lots of different weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I might have been imagining things (if so then kudos to FEAR 2!) but I could have swore I was taking damage in
    that locker area in the school
    . Granted it wasn't a lot of damage, but an addition like that would really fix one of the major problems I had with the first game. In that the 'jumpy' scenes effect wore off because they were so rarely threatening to my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I might have been imagining things (if so then kudos to FEAR 2!) but I could have swore I was taking damage in
    that locker area in the school
    . Granted it wasn't a lot of damage, but an addition like that would really fix one of the major problems I had with the first game. In that the 'jumpy' scenes effect wore off because they were so rarely threatening to my life.

yeah i think you do take hits. I was trying to shoot/ hit the things. just got the fock out of there in the end. really creepy part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Yeah I was freaked out loads playing the demo. And usually I cant handle that in games these days lol but I'll be picking this up for definite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Definitely well done - the AI is good too, with the enemies knocking over tables and any other makeshift cover to hide behind... I remember that was a big selling point of the original FEAR and even though you see it in more shooters these days, a lot of them still don't have even a basic shred of AI. And yes, you definitely take some damage in those creepy scenes mentioned if you don't get the hell out of there or shoot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

hmmm...I was wholly unimpressed. Cheap 'shocks' don't disguise the blandness of the shooting. Also, creepy little girls are not scary, I don't care what anyone says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Have to agree, it was pretty average. Definitely creepy, but I reckon that gets a bit tiresome after a while.

I remember playing the FEAR 1 demo, it was a pretty crippling hardware experience for me, but the game looked great, lots of strong shadows and great use of lighting. The guns were the real stars though, I don't think guns had been so forceful since I played soldier of fortune and used a desert eagle with surgical precision.

Anyway, these were the expectation I was carrying into the demo and I was a little letdown. The graphics were average at best, the lighting was good but all the textures seemed flat and lacking bump mapping. It almost had a faintly "cartoon" look on my TV but I have to say the psychic interruption scenes with Alma looked very cool.

The guns were the big disappointment for me however, they just lacked any oomph, a bit like the arsenal from the PS3 launch title "Resistance: FoM". The assault rifle felt a bit underpowered and the way this guy hurls grenades he should be signed up for a major league baseball team pronto! Everything just didn't have that sense of inertia the first game had, when a bad guy was riddled with bullets you could sense the force of each one hitting him. In FEAR 2 I could have been using a BB gun for all I knew. At times I felt I was playing Star Wars: Republic commando, another example of a game that was good if unspectacular.

Can't see the AI praise either. They run from one piece of cover to the next and back again in little shuttle runs like they are on a psychic soldier bleep test. I sat behind a car while this one lad fired a shot, ran behind a post box, fired another shot and then ran back. I'm pretty sure he could have kept this up all day. That's not to say its bad, just unimpressive.

Anyway, it seems like a competent shooter, I did enjoy the final section, but it doesn't seem to have much to separate it from the crowd besides its "sequel" status. It ticks all the shooter boxes without trying anything new, which to me says "rental".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Really enjoyed the demo, albeit a little short. Can't really fault Monolith on any of their games this generation. I thought FEAR was an excellent game so am thoroughly looking forward to this one. Agree that the graphics may not be the best but they are more than adequate. Some genuinely spooky moments too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Downloading it now. I like the way they allowed you to queue your downloads remotely with the new marketplace thing. Just a quick call home to get the xbox turned on and you're sorted!

handnt spotted that before. cheers!

Eurogamer gave it 5/10, this is despite the review not being very negative at all. Still getting this for sure though. They gave Viking: Battle For Asgard the same score and that was very enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wait..did I read that the alt attack kicks and stuff arent in the xbox version?

or am I mis-reading it?

defo in the pc demo anyway

kaimera wrote: »
    wait..did I read that the alt attack kicks and stuff arent in the xbox version?

or am I mis-reading it?

defo in the pc demo anyway

It says they aren't in the 360 version in the review, but in the comments, loads of people point out that it is! I deleted the demo so i can't check myself

I'm pretty sure they were, but it's been a week or so since I played it. I would go along with some of the Eurogamer comments that it'll be better on the PC but if you don't really have a choice (like me) it'll be the xbox one. Anyway I already reserved my copy based on the demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

cant wait to buy this game the demo is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

So anyone buy it yet ? What are your thoughts ? And who is selling it the cheapest ? Liked the demo as well and enjoyed Fear on the 360. So thinking of picking this up after work today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

€45 new in xtravision.

It was a rental for me - looking forward to playing it tonight.

Pity the achievements are 50/50 between SP and MP.

Flaccus wrote: »
    So anyone buy it yet ? What are your thoughts ? And who is selling it the cheapest ? Liked the demo as well and enjoyed Fear on the 360. So thinking of picking this up after work today.

Got mine for €37 from gameplay.co.uk, been looking forward to this since it was announced! :D

• Advertisement

Flaccus wrote: »

I'm a good bit into it now, i'm liking it so far. Extremely gorey stuff, creepy too!

Advertisement