Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heathrow's new Runway/Terminal

• 22-01-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I've asked several people this and tried looking at the BAA site etc and I can't find the answer.

Will the new set up at Heathrow be joined totally with what is there currently? in otherwords, if a plane boarded at T5, would they be able to taxi o the new runway and take off?

If so, how the hell is it going to get there, or will the new runway only service the new terminal and passengers have to travel there by train or whatever?

If the latter, surely they will need to put in new hangers, firecrews, etc. It will be in effect a whole new airfield.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

This is the proposed layout(images copright to English Daily Telegraph & Daily Mail):

news-graphics-2008-_658515a.gifRunwayGraphES_468x767.jpg

I can't find any detailed image of what the new layout would be, seeing as BAA haven't even finalised a proposal there probably isn't one, but I'm sure the whole airport will be connected. It wouldn't make sense for the new runway to just serve the proposed T6, as the runway wouldn't reach anywhere near it's capacity and would be a waste of money.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There are already some roads that run under the northern runway so pax transfering to/from T6 wouldn't be a huge problem. Getting the aircraft to 3rd runway will be the challenge. Assume new taxiways that cross the northern runway would be an option. Lots of Euro airports have taxiways on bridges over roads. There is a great photo of the A380 taxiing over a road!

I know that in BCN you have to cross the usual landing runway to get to the usual takeoff runway. Also in AMS one runway is 1.6 miles from the airport terminal,takes about 20 mins to taxi in/out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Bramble wrote: »
    There is a great photo of the A380 taxiing over a road!

0957189.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That is a brilliant photo!!

There are two roads the planes would have to cross, the northern perimeter road and the A4, getting a plane from one to the other will be quite a challenge! looks like there will be a few hotels going as well.

The roads around there will be absolutely chaos while they are building this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Thats if it all goes ahead. The general feeling, as far as Ive heard, is that it won't, if it does go ahead it will be 11 years before it's open, so that leaves plenty of time for appeals and what have you. IMO there is probably a need for a new London runway, but not sure waether wiping out a whole village to do so is the answer. If they spent the millions (maybe Billions) on upgrading RAF Manston, and building a high speed rail link into london. The Eurostar line runs up through Kent into St Pancreas and that could utilised and that would mean you could be in central London in about 30 minutes or less, which is as fast as Heathrow to central London.

• Advertisement
Advertisement