Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Charlesland closing??

Options
  • 22-01-2009 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I was told today that Superquinn in Charlesland is closing. The guy that told me always seems to know what is going on in the area. This is not an official source so perhaps (hopefully) this is untrue, has anyone else heard anything??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they announced yesterday that their Dundalk store is closing, but that they intended to keep their other stores open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

they informed their staff they intend to lose 400 staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

they announced yesterday that their Dundalk store is closing, but that they intended to keep their other stores open.
    Yeah I heard this on the news last night.

It is the one in Charlesland that I am wondering about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

They are letting 400 go, only 67 are from Dundalk so the balance must be coming from the other branches.

I wondered if they would have stayed if the shopping centre development went ahead but thats not an issue anymore.

Id say they still have many many years left on their lease on the place. Certainly there is noone who would be willing to sub let from them in the 'current economic climate'!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

TBH there is always a queue at the checkouts no matter what time i go at so i think we can safely say they wont be closing. Job losses may be the issue with that store though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Very doubtful. And even if it did close it would just be replaced by another chain. There is money to be made there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

No way in hell are we closing. Only the bigger stores are letting go of staff, select stores are fine.

If anything we need to hire more people!

We don't even have enough staff on checkouts for the number of customers, it's ridiculous :mad:

Agreed! Always get stuck on a queue in there. I'm sure they could have a place filled in a couple of hours atm.

I can imagine! :eek:

The only reason they're not allowed to hire anyone is because of the redundancies that are happening in other stores. You'd think they'd make an exception with us because we seem to be getting busier. :confused:

Staff morale = non existent on the checkouts, because we have to work hours we can't manage! so apologies if there's ever any "hostility" when you're being served! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

xIsabelx wrote: »
    Staff morale = non existent on the checkouts, because we have to work hours we can't manage! so apologies if there's ever any "hostility" when you're being served! :P

Being friendly doesn't cost you anything, Irish supermarket staff should be sent to the North to do a course on how to be friendly!!! Trust me, the staff in the North are a LOT busier than down south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've always found the staff in Squinn Charlesland friendly enough. What does annoy me about the place is the frequent lack of prices on the shelves. And the so called "express" checkouts which are anything but.

Nonetheless its still a very handy place to have just around the corner - much better than a Spar\Centra or other ripoff minimart.

DonJose wrote: »
    Being friendly doesn't cost you anything, Irish supermarket staff should be sent to the North to do a course on how to be friendly!!! Trust me, the staff in the North are a LOT busier than down south.

Fair enough, but I'm sure they actually have the staff to cover the hours :rolleyes:
    loyatemu wrote: »
    And the so called "express" checkouts which are anything but.

Wost.machines.in.existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

the prices in squinn annoy me. It's always about 15 percent more expensive than all the rest. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I thought they had offered some of their staff from Dundalk positions in the Charlesland store ? I'd be astounded if that store closed, its constantly busy.

dr ro wrote: »
    the prices in squinn annoy me. It's always about 15 percent more expensive than all the rest. Why?

Apparently the uncomprimised quality Squinn offers will make up for the "marginally" higher prices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Apparently the uncomprimised quality Squinn offers will make up for the "marginally" higher prices :rolleyes:

LOL Yeah right. They sell the same stuff as you'd get in Dunnes for half the price. Also, i hate that they have all these price match signs but never actually go lower on prices to compete :P

Jaffa20 wrote: »
    LOL Yeah right. They sell the same stuff as you'd get in Dunnes for half the price. Also, i hate that they have all these price match signs but never actually go lower on prices to compete :P

Half the price in Dunnes is exaggerating a good bit imo.

Those price match signs you talk about are seen in most supermarkets, infarct i have seen some in Dunnes advertising the same product 1c cheaper which is not worth a sh*t.

When did this turn into a Superquinn bashing thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

For all it is worth I think having a Superquinn so close is fantastic, so what if it is a little bit more expensive.

It is a convenience store, a scaled down supermarket. I would not do my weekly shopping in it, I don't think many do.

A few cent here and there is a small cost compared to getting in the car and driving to Tesco because you need bread or a pint of milk.

Also, the recent promotions have had some great bargains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Have to agree with firstIn. Great to have them so close until 10pm every day. it's a convenience store. You'd be mad to try do a full shop there because it would cost you an arm and a leg. But great when you need bits and pieces.

So on the thread topic? It's not closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

No way in hell are we closing. If anything we need to hire more people!

We don't even have enough staff on checkouts for the number of customers, it's ridiculous :mad:

Couldn't agree more... 15 mins to get a pack of fags...!!
    I know smoking kills you but this is madness...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its a Monopoly there is no other Shops around that are convient its not a Bad shop good for a few bits and pieces like the Tesco Express in Kilcoole id go to Tesco in Greystones they dont have much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Its a Monopoly there is no other Shops around that are convient its not a Bad shop good for a few bits and pieces like the Tesco Express in Kilcoole id go to Tesco in Greystones they dont have much.

Agreed totally. Surely every store has houses near them therefore they all are convenience. The mark up down there is mental. After another trip up north its even more apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Apples and Oranges my friends, apples and oranges.

We are not comparing like with like. We are comparing apples to oranges.

I am no supermarket price of goods expert but if there is someone here that is can they tell me;

How do the prices in our Superquinn stack up against the Tesco Select in Kilcoole? Or the Centra in Eden Gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Was in there this morning. Two staff, one manager. One autopoint open whilst manager farted around with the other. No tills. People queing up to spend money in this economic time. Unacceptable. Put shopping back and walked out. Other staff were unpacking newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Was in there this morning. Two staff, one manager. One autopoint open whilst manager farted around with the other. No tills. People queing up to spend money in this economic time. Unacceptable. Put shopping back and walked out. Other staff were unpacking newspapers.

Ha! That sounds so familiar. I've been forced to do that before.
    :pac:

Thats crazy! Manager needs a kick in the h0le methinks. No effort to take available money in these times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Know the feeling. In fairness, some of the staff are very nice but the place is very badly run.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I Agree with you but did you complain to him before you walked out? We need to start complaining in the shop to make a difference, not on-line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

LMC wrote: »
    I Agree with you but did you complain to him before you walked out? We need to start complaining in the shop to make a difference, not on-line

Wrorte a complaint in to the manager about a year and a half ago, no response whatsoever:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

there's more than 1 manager down there. I had no joy dealing with one of them last year. The other one seemed to be the one to get things done. Didn't get a name though. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement