Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho never won anything without class

• 22-01-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Mourinho has never won anything in his career except with top quality players at his disposal. He never achieved anything in his first two jobs with Benfica or Leiria. The Uefa cup win of 2003 and even more so the Champions league win of 2004 are not as big a fluke as many think. Just look at the players he had at his disposal at the time.

Now before people start saying "oh well some of them players were not really known before the Uefa cup win of 2003" takes nothing away from the fact they they were top class players. An example is the Ajax team of 95 which bar Rijkaard were not regarded as a mighty team but how they are looked on now is remarkable. Now I am not saying that all this Porto bunch went on to have the same success as many of the Ajax players but some of them have gone on to big clubs much the same as the Ajax situation. At Chelsea and now Inter he is obviusly surrounded by top quality players.

Now am I just dreaming this up or are there any similarities ? Should I hang me head in shame at even entertaining the notion ? let us know.

Uefa Cup 2003
    Baia
    Ferreira
    Valente
    Costinha
    Deco
    Carvalho
    Costa
    Maniche

Champions league 2004
    Baia
    Ferreira
    Valente
    Costinha
    Deco
    Carvalho
    Costa
    Maniche
    McCarthy
    Boswinga

Champions league 1995
    VDS
    R De Boer
    F De Boer
    Rijkaard
    Seedorf
    Davids
    Overmars
    Reiziger
    Kluivert
    Blind

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Whats the point of this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Most managers have won f**k all, with are without class,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't think it was possible for me to see a worse ball of sh*t in a post than the rubbish in the Benitez thread.

But that first post is hands down the silliest, stupidest post I've ever read. No sense or reason to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Melion wrote: »
    Whats the point of this thread?

To garner others opinions perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So, to summarize, you need good players to win things.
    'scuse me while I call CNN.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    To garner others opinions perhaps ?

On what though?

Savman wrote: »
    So, to summarize, you need good players to win things.
    'scuse me while I call CNN.

Thats the whole point. A manager does not need top class players to win things. The better ones can win without being surrounded by quality. Look at Greece in Euro 2004. Look at Fergie at Aberdeen ? He broke the old firm and beat Real Madrid in the 83 UEFA Cup Winners cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That is an absurf statement.
    Porto's team wasn't that good, he made them good.

Final team:

Vítor Baía
    Paulo Ferreira
    Jorge Costa
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Nuno Valente
    Pedro Mendes
    Costinha
    Maniche
    Deco
    Derlei
    Carlos Alberto Gomes

There is at absolute most, two world class players in there, Deco and Carvalho. Ferreira was a good player, as was Maniche. The rest of them barely played outside Portugal or Brazil.

Mourinho won the CL, the European Cup (not the Cup Winners Cup) with little more than 2 top class players, 2 very good players, and an average team. An amazing achievement, and why I wouldn't be too sad to see him take over from Fergie [if only he could be more attacking].

PHB wrote: »
    That is an absurf statement.
    Porto's team wasn't that good, he made them good.

Final team:
    ORTO:

Vítor Baía
    Paulo Ferreira
    Jorge Costa
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Nuno Valente
    Pedro Mendes
    Costinha
    Maniche
    Deco
    Derlei
    Carlos Alberto Gomes

There is at absolute most, two world class players in there, Deco and Carvalho. Ferreira was a good player, as was Maniche. The rest of them barely played outside Portugal or Brazil.

Mourinho won the CL with little more than 2 top class players, an amazing achievement.

What about Ajax then ? None of them bar Rijkaard at the time were looked on as they are now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You must be joking.

Who picks the players?

Who decides who is "class" or not.

This isn't premier league manager with the stats beside them.

Only the cream of the crop rise to the top.

Mouriniho is a top manager because he is meticulous in his preperation and execution.

As are all the top managers.

This is quite possible the stupidest most irrelevant thread I have EVER read on Boards.

There is no way to back up that assertion. None, and you might as well delete it now or expect 20 pages pilloring you.

• Advertisement

You must be joking.

Who picks the players?

Who decides who is "class" or not.

This isn't premier league manager with the stats beside them.

Only the cream of the crop rise to the top.

Mouriniho is a top manager because he is meticulous in his preperation and execution.

As are all the top managers.

This is quite possible the stupidest most irrelevant thread I have EVER read on Boards.

There is no way to back up that assertion. None, and you might as well delete it now or expect 20 pages pilloring you.

I asked was there any similarities between the two. Why should I delete it ? I am a big boy and can take whats dished out. Deleting it would only serve the purpose of showing myself being weak and afraid to take what others dish out. It would also jus serve as ammunition for others to use against me in future posts. Foolish thing to do in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What in the world are you even arguing then?

The Ajax team was filled with young emerging talents many of whom were the top players in their position in their age group.

The Porto team was nowhere near as good and he still managed to win the CL.

Mourinho won the CL without class. Ajax wom it with young talent yet to emerge on the world stage. If anything, Mourinho's achievement is more impressive!

PHB wrote: »
    What in the world are you even arguing then?

The Ajax team was filled with young emerging talents many of whom were the top players in their position in their age group.

The Porto team was nowhere near as good and he still managed to win the CL.

Mourinho won the CL without class. Ajax wom it with young talent yet to emerge on the world stage. If anything, Mourinho's achievement is more impressive!

Good. I just want others opinions. Constructive criticism. Not abuse and ridiculous suggestions to delete my thread in fear of being criticised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't care what ****ing players you have, to go on a consecutive run of:

- win the UEFA Cup;
    - win the Champions League;
    - lose by the narrowest of margins to the eventual winners in the Champions League Semi Final;

While winning your domestic league each year is just an utterly phenomenal achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Blah, he only won the CL because a perfectly good Scholes goal was ruled offside. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i really fail to see what this thread is about?

you say he wasnt a success at benfica. he managed for a managed for a massive 11 games, winning 6 and losing 2. what exactly were you expecting?

At his second job, União de Leiria he led them to their highest ever finish, quite a success for the size of them

the players you mention for the uefa cup:

Baia
    Ferreira - signed by mourinho
    Valente - signed by mourinho
    Costinha
    Deco
    Carvalho
    Costa - recalled from loan by mourinho
    Maniche - signed by mourinho

for the next team:

McCarthy - signed by mourinho
    José Bosingwa - signed by mouninho

are you saying that he has only done well when given good players?

he signed a lot of those key players.
    At porto he won two leagues, a champions league, a uefa cup, the portugues league cup and proper cup in 2 and a half years. his record speaks for itself.

what exactly are you saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Everyone who knows me knows just how much I detest Mourinho but there's no way I can agree with the OP. Your wrong IMO, that Porto team weren't full of class, far from it. What he did with Porto was truly amazing!

Nearly 5 years on if you look back on the champions league team of 2004 you would hardly call them a bunch of average joes now in fairness. That would be my opinion. Some very good players in there I think. What difference does it make if Mourinho brought in players or not ? I dont see how it changes what I said originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

WTF is up with this forum today :rolleyes:

Smegball wrote: »
    WTF is up with this forum today :rolleyes:
    Stupid day indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

WTF is up with this forum This Month :rolleyes:

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

WTF is up with this forum :rolleyes:

tbh

redout wrote: »
    Nearly 5 years on if you look back on the champions league team of 2004 you would hardly call them a bunch of average joes now in fairness. That would be my opinion. Some very good players in there I think. What difference does it make if Mourinho brought in players or not ? I dont see how it changes what I said originally.

Did it ever occur to you that the players were average until Mourinho got his hands on them?

I think it might have something to do with the fact the PL is tight this year, no one team has really looked all that spectacular. Good for the neutral because it keeps it interesting, but bad for fans of the Top 4 because you get all this playground bickering, bringing up meaningless stats and relating to former glories as if it means anything in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Apart from the fact that the the post is an axiom. It applies to almost any manager you can think of.

Already another Thread on our esteemed Inter manager.
    Closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Apart from the fact that the the post is an axiom. It applies to almost any manager you can think of.

Already another Thread on our esteemed Inter manager.
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement