Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thesis based on Navan rail line

• 22-01-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all,

As the title suggests i'm basing my final year thesis on the proposed Navan rail line. Its basically a report on route selections on 3 different lines. One of the lines i will be analysing will never be built in real life (It deviates north east to include ratoath) but i shall be anlysing it anyway just to compare with the other routes.The other two routes are the ones outlined by Irish Rail (One to the west of Dunshaughlin and one to the east). Im also going to be incorporating a scaled down version of an EIS for one of the routes(more than likely the one to the west of Dunshaughlin). To look into demand im using census 2006 data and a program called SPSS to find out were people work and how they get to their place of work (obviously most people along the propsed lines work in Dublin city).

Anyways im just posting to see if anyone had any thoughts or ideas on what im doing? Im also trying to get hold of some official rail figures for similar sized towns to Navan such as Drogheda but not sure how to get my hands on them?

Thanks again,

T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Try Iarnród Éireann for passenger figures.

If you want to try something unique, throw in a westerly deviation to cater for Trim traffic instead of Ratoath.

I think any deviation of the line needs to consider that the line will be competing with the M3 and every minute in journey times added by speed-restrictions and extra distance getting the line east of Dunshaughlin, makes the line less competitive against road based options.

The extra time involved would particularly effect commuters from Kells / Virginia etc who would would be very time-sensitive and would need very attractive journey times to use a park and ride in Navan rather than continuing on by car all the way to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a formula for determining expected passenger demand, it was included in a report by Arup - might have been the Strategic Rail Review.

You should also talk to the CSO about what actual journeys are made by people in the area.

Advertisement