Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Would You Like to See as Ireland Captain for 6 Nations

Options
  • 22-01-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Starting New Thread to see who is the Peoples Choice for Ireland Captain

Who Should Be Captain Of Ireland For The 6 Nations 131 votes

Ronan O'Gara
    0% 0 votes
    Brian O'Driscoll
    6% 9 votes
    Paul O'Connell
    17% 23 votes
    Rory Best
    70% 92 votes
    An Other
    5% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Paul O'Connell, for the following reasons:

1. He deserves a decent shot at it. Not just as a stand in for BOD
    2. He is a great captain for Munster and they are a considerably more assured team when he is playing/captaining
    3. I firmly believe the captain should come from somewhere 1-10. Which would also allow for Best and ROG.
    4. He has the experience of leading a team in pressurised, cup winning scenarios and this would stand to him, and the team for the tough 6N games.

Just my own opinion. I'm sure whoever does end up Captain will give it their all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

the bull hayes cause its his field hehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

POC deserves not to get it as he has not transformed his provincial performances onto the international field.
    much as i admire POC i dont rate him as an intelligent mind on the pitch, some of his lineout calls are terrible, he seems to focus on calling to the tail of the lineout. The irish lineout has gone backwards at a rate of knots in recent years and blame has to go on the person who is calling the shots.
    For what its worth i'd have ROG as captain, and the BOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

the irish backline has gone backwards at a rate greater than the lineout. how you can justify having o gara or o driscoll as captain is beyond me. surely if o connell is to blame for the lineout then the 2 most instrumental backline players are responsible for backline play ergo ruling them out by your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Do we even have to ask this question? The man, the legend, the GOD!!!! that is Paul O'Connell will get captaincy, either that or O'Gara, but maybe, just maybe Kidney will chicken out and give it to O'Driscoll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think Paul should be named as captain.

Best, ROG and Drico as vice captains! Keep everyone happy!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have no idea how anyone can put O'Gara forward as a serious candidate.

I'm not bothered whether its O'Connell or O'Driscoll to be honest. They practically share the captaincy as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

How are people serious about ROG?

He regularly can have shockers where he doesn't want to know and has criticised his teammates regularly. He scapegoated and slagged off Murphy, essentially he criticised all his teammates saying they didn't play with passion, threatened to walk out on the team if he didn't get more game time ahead of Humphreys etc.

For what its worth Best or BOD however if POC was to get it I wouldn't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

He regularly can have shockers where he doesn't want to know and has criticised his teammates regularly. He scapegoated and slagged off Murphy, essentially he criticised all his teammates saying they didn't play with passion, threatened to walk out on the team if he didn't get more game time ahead of Humphreys etc

Would you ever change the effing record?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.........:rolleyes:

Voted O'Driscoll because it makes bugger all difference. O'Connell will be rousing up the forwards and O'Driscoll marshalling the backs anyway regardless of who is captain. They both do the job at halftime. So does Best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 deepriverrock

ferris

• Advertisement

Would you ever change the effing record?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.........:rolleyes:

I am replying to a thread which is centered around Ronan O'Gara and 3 other players so I am entitled to mention him. If you have a problem with my point just ignore it or counter it. What you have just written contributes nothing to discussion. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

ferris

This actually makes sense. Didnt think about having Ferris as captain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

He regularly can have shockers where he doesn't want to know and has criticised his teammates regularly. He scapegoated and slagged off Murphy, essentially he criticised all his teammates saying they didn't play with passion, threatened to walk out on the team if he didn't get more game time ahead of Humphreys etc.

For what its worth Best or BOD however if POC was to get it I wouldn't complain.

You must this saved somewhere ready to copy & paste in every topic where ROG is mentioned.

I voted for ROG because we've a new management team and to continue with some change I went for a new captain and with that in mind thought ROG was by far the best option.

phog wrote: »
    You must this saved somewhere ready to copy & paste in every topic where ROG is mentioned.

I voted for ROG because we've a new management team and to continue with some change I went for a new captain and with that in mind thought ROG was by far the best option.

ROG threatened to walk out on the squad hes hardly the type that puts the team first.

What does Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland, Ronan O'Gara and Cork Hurlers have in common? They always put themselves ahead of their team and are all from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

ROG threatened to walk out on the squad hes hardly the type that puts the team first.

What does Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland, Ronan O'Gara and Cork Hurlers have in common? They always put themselves ahead of their team and are all from Cork.

Interesting you draw the comparison with Roy Keane considering he was one of the best captains Utd & Ireland have had. If ROG was anything like the Captain Roy Keane was there would be no need for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

agree with rog
    poc will rouse the forwards anyway and the players could do with a change from bod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

So, ROG threatened to walk out on the Ireland squad :rolleyes:. You do realise if he walked out on the Ireland squad, he would be out the door in Munster because it is the IRFU that employs him. It is doubtful if ROG is that stupid. If you believe that he threatened to walk out, presumably you believe he is very anxious to play for Ireland :eek:

Now, before making such allegations, can you supply a source of this information please? (and don't bother quoting any newspaper 'extracts' from ROG's book. They have been edited and sensationalised to sell newspapers to people like you who wouldn't read his actual book because you have some axe to grind).

Roy Keane certainly got the right results on the pitch when captain of Man Utd & Ireland. (You a Liverpool supporter then?) ;)

soundsham wrote: »
    agree with rog
    poc will rouse the forwards anyway and the players could do with a change from bod

I voted for ROG (to annoy RugbyFanatic) :D but I actually think POC might be better because generally the forwards need to talk to the ref a lot and so he would be in a better position to influence him.

Interesting that the Munster squad vote for their captain. A much better system really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I voted for ROG (to annoy RugbyFanatic) :D but I actually think POC might be better because generally the forwards need to talk to the ref a lot and so he would be in a better position to influence him.

Interesting that the Munster squad vote for their captain. A much better system really.

Why? Is it common practice? Do many other teams do it?

It just makes sense really, the players themselves always know who's working and who isn't so they should be the ones to make the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

ya we always did it to pick our junior b hurling capt:pac::pac:

It's not Cork hurling is it?:rolleyes:

Why? Is it common practice? Do many other teams do it?

Why? Its a team sport - players select who they will follow. They will also vote for someone who can talk nice to a ref and get them out of a spot of bother etc. etc. Its not unusual to vote for your 'leader' rather than have your 'leader' imposed. I don't know if anyone else does it - but it certainly works for Munster who are regarded as a 'great team' in that people frequently comment how they really look out for each over and cover each others mistakes and put in a great 'team' effort generally.

cianl1 wrote: »
    It's not Cork hurling is it?:rolleyes:

In fairness, they fight together as a team on all fronts!

I know, just a joke. Despite my Blue-and-Lighter Blue heritage, I do respect them as a team.

cianl1 wrote: »
    I know, just a joke. Despite my Blue-and-Lighter Blue heritage, I do respect them as a team.

... TBH, I have to admit to enjoying the latest installment of the Cork soap opera as I'm from Tipp :)

Again, I'm a Dubliner, this to me is so sweet it's like chocolate:D, I just love laughing at Cork. No offence to Cork people, you're all wonderful, but still...haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

somebody should really make a GAA forum

Off you go then...:)

• Advertisement

bleg wrote: »
    somebody should really make a GAA forum

Sure didn't half the Munster team play hurling ... and one or two of the Leinster lads play football ...

You from Cork bleg? :D

Advertisement