Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Would You Like to See as Ireland Captain for 6 Nations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cianl1 wrote: »
    Again, I'm a Dubliner, this to me is so sweet it's like chocolate:D, I just love laughing at Cork. No offence to Cork people, you're all wonderful, but still...haha!

It's still not as much fun as laughing at the Dub's football team fail year after year. :D Especially when the supporters always say "This is our year, i know it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

How is that funny? It's ****ing true until the bastards make a balls of it!:mad:

You're from Cork aren't you? Care to explain why you're in the real capital of culture?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cianl1 wrote: »
    How is that funny? It's ****ing true until the bastards make a balls of it!:mad:

You're from Cork aren't you? Care to explain why you're in the real capital of culture?:D

No it's not. They look good because they play in a **** provence but once they have to play other teams it all goes tits up. It's as comical as the English in soccer whenever they get to a world cup.

Capital of culture? :pac: Family moved up here, didnt have much choice really. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Capital of culture? :pac:

A referrence to Cork having been voted European Capital of Culture, and then as we all know, Cork people all declare Cork city as the true capital of Ireland,and yet...it's not. So, as I heard from one very on-the-ball man while walking around the streets of home, "Does that mean Dublin is the real capital of culture?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

It's still not as much fun as laughing at the Dub's football team fail year after year. :D Especially when the supporters always say "This is our year, i know it".

I enjoy that too (no offence meant)! :DAs sure as night becomes day every year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Sure didn't half the Munster team play hurling ... and one or two of the Leinster lads play football ...

You from Cork bleg? :D

**** no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Folks, can we even vaguely get back on topic? I've had to delete posts i've written about cork hurlers, Cork as the capital of culture, the dublin footballers, and Roy Keane in Saipan at this point, its getting a bit ridiculuous :)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

I am replying to a thread which is centered around Ronan O'Gara and 3 other players so I am entitled to mention him. If you have a problem with my point just ignore it or counter it. What you have just written contributes nothing to discussion. Well done.
    You were warned by the mods about your obssessive posts about O'Gara weren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Folks, can we even vaguely get back on topic? I've had to delete posts i've written about cork hurlers, Cork as the capital of culture, the dublin footballers, and Roy Keane in Saipan at this point, its getting a bit ridiculuous :)

:pac:

lol

Looks like POC is the peoples choice afterall. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Noopti wrote: »
    POC is the only sensible choice. BOD should never have been captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jam_on_toast

Picked O'Connell, tis a no brainer.

Cant understand how people would pick ROG. He just about deserves to start IMO.

POC is the only sensible choice. BOD should never have been captain.

My post was in response to someone yesterday claiming that Hugh Farrelly was talking out his arse by saying POC was the peoples choice.

I don't agree with your sentiment that BOD should never have been captain. He has done well as Captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

lol

Hey Noopti - Looks like its Paulie all the way.

Pitty Goose81 has been banned. It would be funny to hear what he has to say now.

Lets hope that Kidney makes the right choice now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Can I just put something out there

How much of a difference to people think a captain actually makes on the pitch?

Put it this way, POC leads the pack anyway, ROG calls the backline moves and BOD makes the decisions and talks to the referee.

It just seems to me that people think that with a new captain we will suddenly start playing champagne rugby. Anyone thats ever played serious rugby knows that while inspirational speeches from the start of the match from your captain are nice after the initial few minutes of the game you soon forget them.

Brian O'Driscoll makes the right calls during the games and is always level headed and polite with the referee. He is also great with the media and never puts blame on his teammates (unlike another Irish player who is being touted for captain) taking the pressure off.

EOS said himself in that recent TV interview that in training if there was something that players didn't agree with POC and BOD would always make it known.

I mean people are saying BOD is a poor captain but how many of you have been in the dressing room personally? How many of you have played under him?

Don't you think its odd that every coach hes played under since 23 has made him captain?

But what do they know.....

Can I just put something out there

How much of a difference to people think a captain actually makes on the pitch?

Put it this way, POC leads the pack anyway, ROG calls the backline moves and BOD makes the decisions and talks to the referee.

It just seems to me that people think that with a new captain we will suddenly start playing champagne rugby. Anyone thats ever played serious rugby knows that while inspirational speeches from the start of the match from your captain are nice after the initial few minutes of the game you soon forget them.

Brian O'Driscoll makes the right calls during the games and is always level headed and polite with the referee. He is also great with the media and never puts blame on his teammates (unlike another Irish player who is being touted for captain) taking the pressure off.

EOS said himself in that recent TV interview that in training if there was something that players didn't agree with POC and BOD would always make it known.

I mean people are saying BOD is a poor captain but how many of you have been in the dressing room personally? How many of you have played under him?

Don't you think its odd that every coach hes played under since 23 has made him captain?

But what do they know.....

Some very good and valid points. But I think the Captain can have a big influence on the game, depending on what type of Captain they are.

BOD seemed to be a quiet captain who let his play do the talking. He would lead from the front and the others would follow. But lately, due to his dip in form he isn't leading from the front as often as he should be as captain. Why has Cullen been made captain of Leinster?

POC is a similar captain, but he is a much bigger onfield presence than BOD being in the pack and his workrate is epic. He would lead from the front even moreso than BOD at the moment - due to the nature of the game (backs rely on the forwards to gain the teams momentum and allow them space). POC has also made the calls for a team that has played to the highest level in Europes biggest club competition.

When Johnson was captain of England he was a massive presence for England. I'm sure Greenwood could have easily been a good captain also, but the fact of the matter is that Johnson was the leader in the engine room of the team - and he drove that team forward. This is where the games are won and lost. So to have a pack leader like POC available to us is fantastic and he should be utilised as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SJPRogue

Before saying anything, I'm from Leinster.

That said, i think that a Munster player has to be captain.

Think of it, 3 minutes to go and your team is down by 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 6 points. Who would you want at the helm? Munster are tried and tested when it comes to keeping the head down, keeping calm and having absolute confidence in their ability to win a game even in the last 30 seconds. Leinster just don't seem to have that consistent backbone.

Between ROG and POC, it has to be POC. ROG is too tempermental. too many tantrums.

Well looks like we will find out today. Seeing as Kidney and the captain will have to travel to the 6N launch tomorrow.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/air-of-expectancy-as-kidney-prepares-to-make-vital-call-1615653.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Diva242

SJPRogue wrote: »
    Before saying anything, I'm from Leinster.

That said, i think that a Munster player has to be captain.

Think of it, 3 minutes to go and your team is down by 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 6 points. Who would you want at the helm? Munster are tried and tested when it comes to keeping the head down, keeping calm and having absolute confidence in their ability to win a game even in the last 30 seconds. Leinster just don't seem to have that consistent backbone.

Between ROG and POC, it has to be POC. ROG is too tempermental. too many tantrums.

It should be POC. And I'm also from Leinster and believe it has to be a Munster player!!

Diva242 wrote: »
    It should be POC. And I'm also from Leinster and believe it has to be a Munster player!!

Why does it have to be a Munster player?

anybody at the press conference?

• Advertisement

We will have to wait for breaking news I'd say.

We will have to wait for breaking news I'd say.

can't be long now. I reckon its going to be POC

Agreed. All the clues point to it.
    The INDO article makes a great point that if it was going to be BOD it would have been announced at the squad announcement last week. The fact it wasn't announced points to O'Connell, as if they announced it last week it would have overshadowed his and munsters preperations for the final HC pool game.

This is more or less determining the captain for Lions as well (imo of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah, he deserves a crack at it.

The INDO article makes a great point that if it was going to be BOD it would have been announced at the squad announcement last week. The fact it wasn't announced points to O'Connell, as if they announced it last week it would have overshadowed his and munsters preperations for the final HC pool game.

Thats my thinking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

You could look at it the other way that POC not getting it could have harmed Munster preparations for the match.

Not long for speculation now anyway

Yeah, he deserves a crack at it.

Hes had a crack at it a few times but if he gets it I won't complain really I'm satisfied with either BOD or POC to be honest.

taking nothing for granted til it's official

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hes had a crack at it a few times but if he gets it I won't complain really I'm satisfied with either BOD or POC to be honest.

But there is a big differance between stand in captain and permanent. He is a natural leader and has proven his credentials. We are looking at a furture Lions captain.

Advertisement