Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Would You Like to See as Ireland Captain for 6 Nations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Well? has the team been named folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

From MunsterFans:

"Pat Kenny has just announced BOD to remain Captain "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Noopti wrote: »
    From MunsterFans:

"Pat Kenny has just announced BOD to remain Captain "

Don't think that's right at all.. Paul O'Connell is definatley ready to be captain now and its the best time to change..i could be totally wrong but personally i think this just shows once again the politics in irish rugby.. POC should of gotten it ahead of Brian O'Driscoll it would of given the team a new bit of life and a lift..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Apparently its Brian O'Driscoll

Harpy wrote: »
    Don't think that's right at all.. Paul O'Connell is definatley ready to be captain now and its the best time to change..i could be totally wrong but personally i think this just shows once again the politics in irish rugby.. POC should of gotten it ahead of Brian O'Driscoll it would of given the team a new bit of life and a lift..

Listen I think Kidney knows what hes doing hes not an idiot.

Lads there has to be a ****in reason BOD always gets selected as captain by coaches can we put this 'hes a bad captain' argument to rest no one knows how good he is but the players and the coaches and we have seen today yet another new manager sticking by BOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

it's official.

I thought Kidney would have the balls to pick POC as captain to be honest.

If O'Driscoll was on top form and undroppable then sure, he could remain as captain. But in all fairness he is immenentley droppable on current form so why have him as Captain.

Anyway, move on and support the team now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You don't acheive 50 caps as captain and be bad at it. COME ON IRELAND

I thought Kidney would have the balls to pick POC as captain to be honest.

If O'Driscoll was on top form and undroppable then sure, he could remain as captain. But in all fairness he is immenentley droppable on current form so why have him as Captain.

Anyway, move on and support the team now! :)

Kidney obviously did have the balls as seen with Foley but obviously he sees something that us posting on an internet forum can't. Lets be honest all we have is speculation and nothing concrete so no one really knows if he is a bad captain or not but I will say this theres a reason why every coach has selected him as captain and it is very likely its because hes a good one

and yeah completely agree its 6 nations time lads lets get behind our captain,coach and team

Just to add Kidney's comments

He continued by paying tribute to Ireland Captain Brian O’Driscoll, “I am delighted that Brian has yet again agreed to lead the side in this year’s championship. He has the leadership qualities which are vital at this level and, along with those of the other team leaders in the squad, will be important for the tournament ahead”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It'll be interesting to see if Thornley's prediction of PO'C for Lions captain comes true as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

perhaps BOD needed time to think about it...

Kidney obviously did have the balls as seen with Foley but obviously he sees something that us posting on an internet forum can't. Lets be honest all we have is speculation and nothing concrete so no one really knows if he is a bad captain or not but I will say this theres a reason why every coach has selected him as captain and it is very likely its because hes a good one

and yeah completely agree its 6 nations time lads lets get behind our captain,coach and team

I agree absolutely, BOD was/is a great captain. I just felt that the time was right for change based on the forms of BOD v POC. I also think however that Kidney had more free rein for tough decisions with Munster then he will within the Irish setup.

At least we have O'Connell in barnstorming form coming into the 6 Nations, he can lead through action at least! :)

RuggieBear wrote: »
    perhaps BOD needed time to think about it...

Thats what I was thinking when Kidney made the statement that he was delighted BOD agreed to it.

Just on MF.com... the conspiracys of higher up influence in who got to be captain has begun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Think Kidney's reference to other 'team leaders' in squad is a salient point. POC is obviously the leader in the pack (a 'pack leader' if you will) calling the lineout etc.,

BOD will be the one to talks to the ref. Helpful when a player is usually quiet level headed and can be well spoken. Also I wouldn't underestimate the fact a player of BOD's stature can have on a ref.

P.s. anyone think of a bad bod captain move? none immediately come to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

A surprise I must admit, coming from a Leinsterman. Id have given it to Pauli

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

perhaps BOD needed Kidney should have took more time to think about it...

FYP.......

I'm very surprised by this, I understand that recent public statements would have suggested that BOD was concentrating more on his own game and I have doubts about his ability to unify the team in a sense of common purpose, a task that I thought POC would do with passion.

I wish only the best for the national team, it would be wonderful to see them playing in a manner and style that would justify their individual talents and I hope Kidney's faith in BOD is justified.

Ritz.

Thats what I was thinking when Kidney made the statement that he was delighted BOD agreed to it.

Just on MF.com... the conspiracys of higher up influence in who got to be captain has begun :rolleyes:

Are you Munsterman101? lol

Nope. Check the IPs if you want.

Nope. Check the IPs if you want.

Nah, was just wondering as I saw a first post by him telling the MFs to quit the bull ****e! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lenguy

BoD it is! Will be interesting to hear Kidney's reasoning.
    Hopefully PoC and BoD can work together on the captaincy, on and off the field. RoG has a lot to offer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was reading both sites and it's the first thing that entered my head. The tone, the use of language and

the

large

spaces betweens paragraphs do seem to point to Rugbyfanatic. Plenty of Leinster fans on MF.com RF, if you've got a something to say about that site do so by being up front and honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Well a suprise there. But lets just hope it proves to be the correct decision. Only time will tell.

Lets all hope that BOD can get his form back (along with the rest of the backs TBH) and inspire Ireland to a great 6N.

It would be great to see a grand slam decider in Cardiff come the last round of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thats what I was thinking when Kidney made the statement that he was delighted BOD agreed to it.:

I'd say that's just spin. If Kidney says that he himself was undecided until the last minute, it wouldn't seem like he had that much confidence. O'Driscoll was on record several months ago saying that he wanted to remain as Irish captain.

Does anyone have any stats on what Paul O'Connell's record is like as Irish captain? Am I wrong in thinking he's had a somewhat patchy record as well?
    Noopti wrote:

I really don't think he is that droppable. Even a poor day by his standards is a pretty damn good day for most international centres. Whenever people talk about him having a "quiet day", they often miss out on the massive effort he has made in defence.

And another argument is that the captain might get his spot because he is a good captain - not that he is captain because he is guaranteed his spot. Sometimes you have to compromise to make sure you have the best leader on the pitch. Simon Easterby was known as a very good leader, and a lot of people will say he got his game for Ireland ahead of other more talented back row players, because they needed someone with leadership in the pack. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember Michael Bradley being only an OK scrumhalf, but being a good leader.

eoin wrote: »
    Does anyone have any stats on what Paul O'Connell's record is like as Irish captain? Am I wrong in thinking he's had a somewhat patchy record as well?

I don't think you can fairly judge someone based on some stand in performances as Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Ask Munsterman101 for he's overall opinion of ROG it will become quite clear from the reply if its RF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

back on topic people. what handle somebody uses on another website or their opinions there of are no concern to this thread or boards tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bad decision this - it implies that nothing has changed from the O'Sullivan era.
    No disrespect to BOD who is a fantastic player but surely this was a time to change the captaincy - a new beginning if you like as the last couple of years have been a disaster. A change of captaincy would have indicated a new era of Irish Rugby and this is what we desperately needed.

Seems like more of the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Look I guess we need to keep some perspective here. Thinking about it, it would have been hard to take captaincy off Ireland's greatest ever player, he obviously wished to remain in job.

A successful team needs leaders all over the pitch, in this regard Ireland are reasonably well placed. We have Pauli, Best and ROG who are all leaders in their own right and have experience of captaining teams so I think its important to concentrate on the positives. The more leaders a team can have the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yeah i think too much is been made of this tbh and its not as if O'Driscoll is a terrible captain or anything and hopefully its a vote of confidence that can help him back to what we know he is capable of been

Advertisement