Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is allowed into Thomond Park?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Thomond Park, the hallowed ground, sacred turf, Limericks field of dreams.

So who can get a ticket to a big match anyhow? - I ask this particularly today after speaking to someone who has spent a lifetime playing rugby with two of the longest established grass roots rugby clubs in Limerick who says that he can't get tickets.

- So for a real epic clash in Thomond park is there nobody in there but Corporate fat-cats, Bank Managers, A3 driving Sales Gimps who always hit their monthly targets etc.?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

All rugby clubs in Munster get a certain amount for every HC game.

Oh and of course, Season Ticket holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

So I was aware - I also found out recently though that certain clubs then mark up the face value and distribute them to people who can afford to pay twice the face value etc.

Great for revenue for the club and you could say in turn the game of rugby etc.

- Not so could for ensuring access for the average fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

People who spend their hard-earned cash to get Thomond Park season tickets! The Munster Rugby Supporters club also.
    Alot of people get lucky and get tickets!
    Raiser wrote: »
    So I was aware - I also found out recently though that certain clubs then mark up the face value and distribute them to people who can afford to pay twice the face value etc.

Great for revenue for the club and you could say in turn the game of rugby etc.

- Not so could for ensuring access for the average fan.
    The mark up is only about a fiver! Not sure of clubs ripping off fans though

I have yet to pay anything over face value for a ticket this season, Heineken Cup or Magners League.

• Advertisement

Got a Thomond season ticket, mainly for the AB match! But thinking about buying one next season, comes in very handy so it does

Whats the waiting list(if any) for the Season ticket for the HC?

Oh and how much is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Never believe these "I'm a son of the soil, long time player, hardest working clubman who can't get a ticket" stories. They guy is just spoofing you.

Firstly anyone can apply for a Magners League season ticket, which also gives you a great chance of face value tickets to the HEC games.

Secondly, you can usually buy tickets to league games off ticketmaster, or from a ticketmaster outlet. Or, if you're in a club, you can apply to your club for a ticket who may choose to add a nominal handling fee, but even if they do, it's going back to the club you love and support, so what's the harm?

If you're a long time member of a club, as your friend no doubt is, he can apply for a season ticket through the clubs too, which I think also covers HEC games.

Also, if you know people in clubs, or in various rugby bars in town, as your friend no doubt does, there's usually spare tickets floating around on the day of a match.

In short, your friend is pulling your leg or having a moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As a member of the Munster supporters club I can tell you that this way will be very hard unless you are a member now. There are 1000's of people as associate members waiting to be invited to be full members.

Getting it through the clubs is easy as long as you are a paid up member. For example you could join the young munsters supporters club and pay them €250 every year and be guaranteed a pair of tickets or become a sponsor or buy yourself a box for €25,000 a year.

The problem with Thomond Park and Munster rugby as a whole is the "johnny come lately" supporter whom only got on the winning streak bandwagon. Some of these are paid up members of the munster supports club but do not go to matches, do not buy their allocated ticket and make life a misery for people outside of clubs and supporters clubs looking for tickets.

The easiest way to get a ticket besides paying good money to the above is to buy the Magners and Heineken cup Season tickets.

OR write letters/e-mails to the big companies who support Munster rugby and tell them a child of yours is dying and their dying wish is to see a match. :D

Berty wrote: »

The problem with Thomond Park and Munster rugby as a whole is the "johnny come lately" supporter whom only got on the winning streak bandwagon. Some of these are paid up members of the munster supports club but do not go to matches, do not buy their allocated ticket and make life a misery for people outside of clubs and supporters clubs looking for tickets.

The MRSC operate a ticket return system where if you can't make the match you can have your seat or ticket resold through their website.

Every team has a proportion of idiots following them, Munster is no different, but anyone who wants a ticket can usually get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

but anyone who wants a ticket can usually get one.

But at what price? Im sure we could all get a ticket if we were willing to pay as much as 20 times face value but how does a person get a face value ticket when the tickets are only given to the clubs and sponsors.

Do we have to resort to being flag bearers like at the New Zealand match?

But at what price? Im sure we could all get a ticket if we were willing to pay as much as 20 times face value but how does a person get a face value ticket when the tickets are only given to the clubs and sponsors.

Do we have to resort to being flag bearers like at the New Zealand match?

I've never paid above facevalue for a ticket, and the only game i couldn't get a ticket for was the Munster - Leicester game, for which I hopped the wall. There's always tickets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

:D

i think they account for the majority of munster supporters

jackncoke wrote: »
    i think they account for the majority of munster supporters

Why do you say that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

The MRSC operate a ticket return system where if you can't make the match you can have your seat or ticket resold through their website.

Every team has a proportion of idiots following them, Munster is no different, but anyone who wants a ticket can usually get one.
    I've tried but have never got one. Although I didn't try very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Why do you say that?

Cause its true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Why do you say that?

I know you weren't talking to me... but I'd like to say something negative about munster...
    It has ruined the following... AIL leauge( what league you may ask), the munster senior cup which used to be played in front of 10,000 people in april but was played this year the day after the Munster V Ulster game in early Jan in the killing fields...
    Junior cup, the what??? where???
    When I played underage (I'm 32 not 82).... (club not schools)the cup and league finals from under 13 all the way up was played in thomond park.. thats gone now... instead kids get to play for 10 min at half time...
    If a senior club has a half decent player.. munster sign him and the club have to ask to play him... what good is he to the club...
    ANd finally (for now) it's turning limerick rugby in D4 rugby.. snobby... it used be just garryowen and bhos who were snobby now it has spread like wild fire...

Oh yeah it has created the worst chant ever... MUNNNNNSTERRRRRR MUNNNNSTERRRRRRR MUNNNNNSSSSSTTERRRR... the fields of athenry isn't sung as much anymore...
    ANd what P***ES me of a lot is people who get a ticket for the match and watch it on the TV in thomond park at the bar!!!!

SOrry for going on but as you see it's not all rosy in munster rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

you can get munster tickets granted Heineken cup ones are harder to get unless your a member of a club ro know someone but Magners league matches you can buy them from ticketmaster so it annoys when people say they can't get a ticket, the magners league matches are usually on sale for a couple of weeks from ticketmaster so if u want a ticket for an M/L match you can get one..

I agree with the above poster about the AIL, i used to go to all the shannon matches with my dad and they were brilliant the crowds were huge some great days in thomond park watching shannon and trips away to cork and dublin they were great days out when i was younger.once munster got big the crowds started dwindling...i stopped going about 4-5 years ago cause i got a bit older and wanted to hang out with my friends at the weekends:pac:... I've gone to a few of the home ones this season and last now and i really enjoyed them so im getting back into going to them again...if you want to see rugby i'd definatley say go to some of the ail games be it shannon, munsters, garryowen or whoever they're great matches and you really get the true sense of supporters there. the men who would do anything for their club..they're great days out

baza1976 wrote: »

Oh yeah it has created the worst chant ever... MUNNNNNSTERRRRRR MUNNNNSTERRRRRRR MUNNNNNSSSSSTTERRRR...

That isnt how it goes at all!! Its more like Munster Munster Munster Munster Munster!

The way you are saying was the old way! And is waaaaay better than the chant at the moment!

I also agree that MSC etc should be played in TP!! But due to the pitch being in a young stage after re-development, it wasnt possible this season!

Advertisement