Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bird Flew strain..

• 22-01-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

So the Bird has flown the coup, made a nice feathered nest for himself in the US, but how long before we feel the Bird Flew strain.

He's "Mister RTE" right now with his artic exploration programme and the continuous promos for same numerous times a day, his coverage of the US primaries and elections, the new Washington interpreter for TV and radio on day and night, pretending to be "hanging-out" with Bono and the boys. Its a bit of overkill on RTE's part and a strain to watch/hear.

..anyone else getting a little too much of Charlie Bird? Or do you think we're not getting enough of the Bird?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Robert Shortt was a very low profile Was corr.

previous to that Little and Coleman made some kind of a name for themselves.

Looks like Bird is out to make a name for himself out there.

Hell I must admit i can't blame him for that.

Let's wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

How old is Charles?

Is he close to retirement and doing his final stint in the States?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hey Mick :confused: This is RTE we are talking about..

What's retirement??

Ha!

Well to be fair, they do "retire". Maybe have a tribute show, and then end up doing as much work, if not more, than they did before they "retired".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

mick_irl wrote: »
    Ha!

Well to be fair, they do "retire". Maybe have a tribute show, and then end up doing as much work, if not more, than they did before they "retired".

Retire !!! When ???

Think O'Muirceartaig, Magee, Gogan, Fanning, Andy O'Mahony, some of these guys well over 70 !

Nice little sinecure ...working in the State Broadcasting Company.

And I haven't even mentioned Balf / Bland Boy Collins / MacAnally and other assorted liggers who come out of the woodwork from time to time.

A cosy little club...well for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If he can make it out there he will have done a lot more than the others who were minnows in a big lake. He is unlikely to though as he is too honest. I dont think he will ever be the new Dan Rather. I predict a return to Ireland in 2-3 years to retake the position of "chief news correspondent" in RTE.

I like Ronan Collins - dont know why.

kmick wrote: »
    If he can make it out there he will have done a lot more than the others who were minnows in a big lake. He is unlikely to though as he is too honest. I dont think he will ever be the new Dan Rather. I predict a return to Ireland in 2-3 years to retake the position of "chief news correspondent" in RTE.

I like Ronan Collins - dont know why.

Eh Michael :confused:?

Some wires crossed here maybe - the Birdman has gone to the land of the free to work FOR RTE as their Washington corrospondent.

So no question of "making it" in my opinion - he is just getting a few more years out of it - and will return in three years to be interviewed by other RTE "Luminaries" and write a Beewke on his experiences.

Will end up a columnist for one of the Newspapers and general pundit.

Go the Bird !!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"Today in Washington an attempted assisination on President Odama occurred. We now go live to our Washington correspondant Charlie Bird in...Mexico."
    -Eileen conditions are horrendous here in Mexico. The mini-bar's too expensive and I've been wearing the same socks under my sandals for two whole days.

He was on the tv thingy the other night. Up in the North Pole he was. He jumped into the water through a clearing in the ice. He had a rope tethered to his midriff. I'd have cut the rope and held him at bay with a barge pole until hypothermia set in.

Retire !!! When ???

Think O'Muirceartaig, Magee, Gogan, Fanning, Andy O'Mahony, some of these guys well over 70 !

Nice little sinecure ...working in the State Broadcasting Company.

And I haven't even mentioned Balf / Bland Boy Collins / MacAnally and other assorted liggers who come out of the woodwork from time to time.

A cosy little club...well for them

I was making reference to Uncle Gaybo...who has 'retired' but seems to be on the wireless and on our tv screens a lot...

And I don't mean in his capacity as RSA Chairman.

See the Birdman got some flack in one of the papers for his casual dress style as the new Washington Corr.

Cargo pants an open necked shirt apparently...also rumour has it he is now sporting an earing !

Ah how standards have fallen :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Ever since his amazon adventure when he was afraid of everything and I mean everything, I just cannot stomach him.

The only US correspondant of note was Mark Little.
    Coleman really let herself down with the Bush interview and was always a bit mediocre.
    Don't know how Robert Short got the job - RTE must have been really stuck.

For some reason I haven't seen any of Charlie Bird's contributions yet. His election day coverage was over sentimental, but I imagine he'll be quite good.

Advertisement