Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letter to gun club

Options
  • 22-01-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

A friend of mine`s kid is just after getting his first gun and he wants to join the local gun club.He was told to write a letter of application to the club secetary.What should he say in the letter.I got into a club years ago down the local over a few pints so i dont want to steer him in the wrong direction.If any of u lads could help,maybe a sample letter or something i will pass it on.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Does he not know anyone in the club. Our club also have the letter bit ( I cant remember when it was last used) when it comes down to it its who proposes you and seconds the nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

As in many clubs , Cavan Shooter, as you said a lot of the time it depends who proposes & seconds you.....but there is a genuine reason for this.

The Gun Club committee are respondsible for the running of the club. As membership of their club can assist in a person acquiring a licence they have to be vigilant in who they accept and that the person is going to be law-abiding & responsible.

The letter of application is required in most clubs I know of. It doesn't have to be elaborate or really well written.....just a down to earth letter outlining your interests. In our club what the committee are looking for is someone who is genuinely interested in shooting and will 'pull their weight' in the club.

The last thing any club wants to do is to offer membership to someone who requires a firearm for home protection & nothing else.

If, in time, a member were to break the law using a firearm it would come back to the club, especially if the club membership assisted the person in acquiring a licence.

If the club, in such a case, when questioned by Gardai can show a letter of application in writing, whereby the committee were satisified that this was a bona-fide shooter interested in the sport & only required the gun for shooting of vermin / game and the person was proposed & seconded by club members who knew him/her, then the committee would more or less be in the clear........that's usually the reason why a member must be proposed & seconded.........not always the 'old boys club' as it may often appear as.

Anyway, in the letter I would outline:

How long you are in the area.....reason for moving here

occupation

club members you know

if you were a member of another club......why you left

if so, any references or names / addresses of those who'll vouch for you

Your shooting interest ....shotgun.......rifle

What you hope to shoot....game.....vermin.....deer etc.

Any other outdoor interests...falconry, ferretting, hounds, etc.

Your shooting experience

any shooting dogs?

What you can contribute to the club....work sessions, vermin control, etc.

Remember you must convince the committee that you will be an asset to their club and that the club will benefit from having you as a member ......there may be 2/3 vacancies from 10/15 applicants ......your letter of application is their first introduction to you prior to interview (if you make it that far) so impress them ensuring that you are the one who will be called to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Please see attached link to the NARGC website,
    http://www.nargc.ie/site/downloads.aspx
    its an application form for membership to a club. You might find it useful. I checked our records and found the last letter was sent to us in 2006 looking for membership, it was quite simple and I have detailed it below. The chap actually asked me what he should put in it I told him to say it as it is.. see below

To the Secretay of _________Gun Club:

My name is ________and I presently live at the following address, which is in the boundary of the parish of_______. I have moved to the area from_____________and I am a keen shooter both game and target, in the past working springers and labs as my prefered method of hunting,

I was a member of ____________gun club and __________ and participated fully with all vermin, rearing and fund raising events but had to retire from active membership when I moved to thisarea as my children were quite young at the time and my weekends were taken up renovating my recently acquired house.

As I am keen to take up the sport again I would be appreciate it if you would consider my application for membership of the gun club. I would be happy to meet with you or the committee to discuss same

Yours sincerally

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LOUTHSHOOTER

its an application form for membership to a club. You might find it useful. I checked our records and found the last letter was sent to us in 2006 looking for membership, it was quite simple and I have detailed it below. The chap actually asked me what he should put in it I told him to say it as it is.. see below

My name is ________and I presently live at the following address, which is in the boundary of the parish of_______. I have moved to the area from_____________and I am a keen shooter both game and target, in the past working springers and labs as my prefered method of hunting,

I was a member of ____________gun club and __________ and participated fully with all vermin, rearing and fund raising events but had to retire from active membership when I moved to thisarea as my children were quite young at the time and my weekends were taken up renovating my recently acquired house.

As I am keen to take up the sport again I would be appreciate it if you would consider my application for membership of the gun club. I would be happy to meet with you or the committee to discuss same

Yours sincerally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

This may be useful to newcomers so perhaps mods may move it to the TIPS sticky

Yours sincerally

• Advertisement
Advertisement