Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundany pay question

Options
  • 22-01-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just wanted to find out something about this, my girlfriends mother was just let go from her job making soup and sandwiches in a pub. Was paid on the Friday and was told not to come back on Monday as there would be no job for her!!

Is this legal?

She's been there 5 years, working from 10:00-14:30 5 days a week. She was part time so was wondering is she entitled to redundancy pay?
    Tried a rough estimate on this: https://redundancy.entemp.ie/rpsportal/initialiseRedundancyCalculatorAction.do?locale=en

and got a payment of 2385 euro.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 staengus

Does anybody know enough about this to give me an answer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Provided she was being paid above board, then yes she's entitled to redundancy etc.

Has she been getting a P45 at the end of each year? ('Tis probably the best indicator of whether it's legal or not).

I don't know what the next steps are, but there are things she should do. Search a few of the threads here, or perhaps in State Benefits ... or even just search the Citizens Information site.

HOWEVER if she was working under the table, then no it's not legal, but what she was doing wasn't legal either, so no there's nothing she can do.

Advertisement