Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic mat on wall

Options
  • 22-01-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Not sure if this the suitable forum, but neither electircal nor home appliances seemed applicable.

Anyway, my neighbours recently installed a plasma TV, hung on the party wall between our houses. The noise is driving me crazy as it is being carried by the structure of the house throughout all of the rooms. At night I can hear the TV in my bedroom, upstairs at the front of the house despite the fact that the TV is in the rear, downstairs.

I have been in to them a few times to complain about it and the noise has improved somewhat but it is still driving me crazy. I've been told that because the sound (low frequency sounds) are being carried by the structure of the house, there is very little that I can do from my side. The last thing I want to do is have to pursue a court action. I am going to pursue it further and see can I get them to take the TV down off the wall but i am not holding out much hope. I've lived next door to them for almost 5 years and until the put this TV up a few weeks ago, I had very little problem with noise from them.

Is there something like an acoustic mat that they could put between the TV and the wall that would absorb the bass sounds before they enter the wall? I've tried to find something like that online but haven't been able to find anything suitable. If there is something commercially available, any info on where to get it, approximate price and how to install it would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Bass sounds are very hard to stop as they require very dense materials (like lead) to reduce them. If they have a TV mount bolted to the wall, I wouldn't be convinced that anything between the mount and the wall would make any difference. Partition walls in SD houses make very good loudspeakers as they vibrate to low frequency sounds and the only way of avoiding that (as far as I am aware) is not to fix anything to them in the first place.

Advertisement