Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing a Pup?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

My pup is currently Just under 9 weeks old, and has a bit of a small stink coming off him, as we only picked him up from Breeders there yesterday.

Can i give him a bath now? or is it to young ?

Also whats the best way to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

in an ideal world, you would wait until a pup is at least 12 weeks old before washing him. as younger then this their skin has not delvelopep properly. so you would be best advisted to wait until then. but all that said i have washed them younger then that when it is necessary.
    what breed is your pup?
    is their a reason why he is smelling?
    has he an itch or skin problem?

if you do wash him make sure you only use a dog shampoo at at half stgregth at that.

you should remember that all dogs smell somewhat by their nature!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'd try to avoid washing him just yet. Saying that, the smell may be from his paws rather than his coat so have a look and check between his toes. My puppy had a little issue during toilet training of stepping on her poo so I had to always check that her paws were clean to avoid a smell and risk of any discomfort or infection.

Check ears and bum too to make sure they're clean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hello100

I am a Vet , do not wash him , check around the vital areas and give them a quick rub with a baby wipe, put some baby talcum powder on him , leave for a while , then brush off .

Do not wash him/her , way to young .

MM:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

thanks, He's a German Shepard.

its just a low dull smell, basically from the other pups and the breeders.

Thanks for replys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you're going to use baby wipes, make sure that you get the unperfumed ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Another thing that I was told when I was picking up my puppy was not to was him untill he gained our trust...

That he may not like us very much if we put him in the bath the day after we took him home!!

Now maybe that's a load of crap but it's what we were told haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Puppies generally do end up whiffing a bit between putting their paws in their food bowls and walking over their puddles of wee etc. A damp facecloth that was run under warm water should do the trick to get the majority of the smell off. Then when the pups a bit bigger using a really mild puppy shampoo, there are tons of different ones available try and use the most natural one possible esp. for sensative puppy skin.

If the puppies paws are a little stinky just stand the pup in a small very very shallow basic of warm water and rub the paws gently then pat dry with a towel that should wash off any excess urine or food stains etc.

Plain warm water won't do any harm at all, just make sure pup is kept warm until the fur dries.

I have a terrible habit of washing any new pups we have gotten straight away although they've always been around the 4 months mark, never did them any harm or traumitised them, you need to get pups used to being washed at an early age esp. with larger dogs because trying to get them in and out of the bath etc. gets harder as they get bigger. I'd usually not wash a pup until they hit around 4 months usually there's no need to just as quick wipe as above.

There are doggy lotions etc. you can get to freshen up the fur but no idea if any is ok to use on a young puppy.

Advertisement