Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally Ireland 09

Options
  • 22-01-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

OK so who here is going ?
    Where is the best viewing spots ?
    What time to be there ?
    Getting into the service park best times ? (free times)

Etc etc etc ,

I for one am thinking about heading out by Manorhamilton on friday morning and getting two stages there. Was anyone out there last year ?
    I was in Arigna last year and would go again only for it is Sunday morning and running once, also a lot of drop outs at that point in the event.
    Donegal Town will be madness and pretty poor if you are looking to see cars pushing it on as the rally will be over by the time that stage runs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

was at lough gill and mulagmore last time round, about two hours before the first car came through, as for the service park, ticket is €15 for the whole weekend, its open all day from about 7 ish am till late at night, although to get a good vantage point for the garages, especailly the citron one you would want to be standing in your chosen spot at least 2hrs plus before the cars return for service, even better, once they leave after the prvious service

for example, last time around was very difficult to get a good view of the citron one and i was there about 45minutes before service started, although crowd started clearing once service was finished, people were taking their positions straight away to get a good view of the car and working being done when they returned, and the cars had just left and not due to return for about 2 1/2 hours

you might get into sections of the service park for free on the wed or thurs when their setting it up, altough think the service park/area for the none WRC cars might be free all weekend, walked straight in their last time after leaving the main park, you might not see big names but will still see plenty of cars and work being done

this was my view last time in the park, as close as i could get, people to my left there alot earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I had a look at the maps and reckon Glenboy spectator point B on the programme could be best suited to me. I dont think I will need to get up at 330 am again, being there for 6am should be enough to secure a good spot.
    I might take a scouting trip round there this weekend and see. I was speaking to a guy who went there for the adfernoon last year and he had no problem getting a spot with only minutes to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is it just me or does anyone else think that rallies are just an excuse to legalise boy racers for a weekend?

Personally it freaks me out to see dudes in identi-kit Subaru gear, poncing about like some Will Farrell movie - OK, it's funny on film, but in real life, it's really just a load of geeks who drive cars instead of doing other geeky stuff.

Or is that a bit harsh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Is it just me or does anyone else think that rallies are just an excuse to legalise boy racers for a weekend?

Personally it freaks me out to see dudes in identi-kit Subaru gear, poncing about like some Will Farrell movie - OK, it's funny on film, but in real life, it's really just a load of geeks who drive cars instead of doing other geeky stuff.

Or is that a bit harsh?

No, good point.

I know a lot of people - perhaps the silent majority - do not see anything great about the rally. It causes a lot of traffic inconvenience to a lot of people / people not being able to leave their homes etc. A lot of taxpayers money ( bord failte ) is spent sponsoring and promoting the rally. It can be argued it is environmentally unfriendly / contributes to global warming in no small way. It is not what our unspoilt quiet natural environment is all about. Most daytrippers who come to see it do not spend any money in the region. More than a few people are of the opinion it is noisy / polluting / inconvenient / dangerous / encourages boy racers etc / waste of resources in todays world. I like cars, but I am just saying how some people feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

jimmmy wrote: »
    No, good point.

I know a lot of people - perhaps the silent majority - do not see anything great about the rally. It causes a lot of traffic inconvenience to a lot of people / people not being able to leave their homes etc. A lot of taxpayers money ( bord failte ) is spent sponsoring and promoting the rally. It can be argued it is environmentally unfriendly / contributes to global warming in no small way. It is not what our unspoilt quiet natural environment is all about. Most daytrippers who come to see it do not spend any money in the region. More than a few people are of the opinion it is noisy / polluting / inconvenient / dangerous / encourages boy racers etc / waste of resources in todays world. I like cars, but I am just saying how some people feel.

You have my vote, Jimmy.

Plus why have fuel prices in Leitrim/Donegal risen over the past few days?
    eg Prices at Tullaghan were always below Sligo Town but now they are above it. Any connection to the Rally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Does anybody know when the fireworks are being held? Will it be on the Sunday when we are all having coffee in Tobergal lane cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Or is that a bit harsh?

No, I completely agree. I live near Geevagh and I don't know who was consulted about the rally. We were just told that it was happening - end of story. :rolleyes: It is noisy and I'm not looking forward to spectators taking a short cut down my very narrow and winding road and driving far too fast like they did last time. In short, I can't wait until it's over. :(

I met a 'dude' in a green
    penis extension
    convirtible this afternoon coming down into Geevagh village from the rally route crawling along, mouth wide open in a WTF at the state of the 'road'! :D

At least by having it in January there won't be lots of people camping on the roadsides, having parties and leaving lots of bottles and other litter behind. Please take your rubbish home with you this time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The sooner this is over the better. Thank god im going to Derry for the bloody sunday rememberance because if i had to listen to those wan*ks revving their car at the clarion at 6 in the morning like the last time... Murders!!!

Or is that a bit harsh?

No its not and yes it is ...

Any chance of keeping at least one thread on here on topic, this is a thread for information on people who are interested in the Rally and not bashing the event or having a go at boy racers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

The sooner this is over the better. Thank god im going to Derry for the bloody sunday rememberance because if i had to listen to those wan*ks revving their car at the clarion at 6 in the morning like the last time... Murders!!!

???? murders?? what murders? Who died by a revving car? did somebody get killed last year by a driving revving car? heard nothing about that, would have been on the news wouldnt it? every accident in ireland is broadcatsted normaly.

Ps give boyracers a place to go and they dont have to do it on the road! I love the rally!

I drove up half of the Glenboy circuit Friday evening. Where the Dromahair Rd (r297) meets the Manor to Carrick RD (r280), you take a left towards Manor and take the first right the starting point is a few hundred yard in. I am told that if you turn off the Carrick road and take the next right then you will get parking close to the stage. There is a corner about 1KM into the stage where the cars will take a sharp right turn then you will see them go up hill for a good distance. Its on a hill with a gate to the field so there will be no problems viewing. Further up the road about a mile there is viewing point A on the programme which would be good also then after that (2-3kms) there is a straight with a massive jump in the road. Viewing point B and C will be good also with a lot to see and easy access.

bennyc wrote: »
    Any chance of keeping at least one thread on here on topic, this is a thread for information on people who are interested in the Rally and not bashing the event or having a go at boy racers.

In fairness, the thread is titled "Rally Ireland 09" and everyone is entitled to their opinion on the event. The event effects most people in Sligo in some way - be it noise & air pollution, traffic congestion or the hoards of boy racers who invade the county for the weekend... to fans of the Rally, they are not an issue, but to the rest of us they are.

???? murders?? what murders? Who died by a revving car? did somebody get killed last year by a driving revving car? heard nothing about that, would have been on the news wouldnt it? every accident in ireland is broadcatsted normaly.

I'm saying their will be this year if they rev their engines anywhere near my house while im sleeping:D

I'm saying their will be this year if they rev their engines anywhere near my house while im sleeping:D

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

There is only 38 WRC cars entered in it this year.

It think it will be a flop and probably the last one to be held here.

Cool that will make head lines, driver killed by revving his own car!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

What's the story with them selling tickets, is that to just get into the service pits? Are there like official spectator zones?
    If i was coming up from Dublin, would I stand any chance of finding a spot to spectate on my own? Would be more than happy to leave Dublin as early as need be, just wondering what people would advise...
    THanks!
    Edit: No, tickets only for the service bay it seems!
    Found maps here:
    http://www.rallyireland.org/spectator-information

What stages would people recommend? I'd like to see one of the coastal ones, looking to take photos..

cianclarke wrote: »
    What's the story with them selling tickets, is that to just get into the service pits? Are there like official spectator zones?
    If i was coming up from Dublin, would I stand any chance of finding a spot to spectate on my own? Would be more than happy to leave Dublin as early as need be, just wondering what people would advise...
    THanks!

yep really easy, I live in dromahair and there are always lots of people about here. You can watch for free every where along the route. As we do ourself. You can also ask people if they dont mind you standing in there gardens or fields. most wont mind when asked.

• Advertisement

slideways wrote: »
    It think it will be a flop and probably the last one to be held here.

:( I hope not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Enough negativity about the rally, its worth millions to the local economy.
    Iv got a loud car myself and will be up at five each morning... revving excessively
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

jimmmy wrote: »
    No, good point.

Silent majority my ass... they're the whiniest people going, mouthing non-stop and complaining. No one complains about the environmental impact and disturbances caused by GAA/Soccer/Rugby matches, with all that sewage from people crapping in the same place and all the CO2 by people driving to see the games, but it's fun to take it out on the Rally crew. Only one WRC event every two years is the proposed plan, probably about 20 or 30 fairly significant matches of various sorts per year. Which creates more CO2? Find something else to complain about. Every other country is proud to host it, but our bunch of whine bags love to give out till the fun is spoiled for everyone.
    I suppose the Olympic flame should be changed to an energy light saving bulb that's run on solar power too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Biro wrote: »
    Silent majority my ass... they're the whiniest people going, mouthing non-stop and complaining. No one complains about the environmental impact and disturbances caused by GAA/Soccer/Rugby matches, with all that sewage from people crapping in the same place and all the CO2 by people driving to see the games, but it's fun to take it out on the Rally crew. Only one WRC event every two years is the proposed plan, probably about 20 or 30 fairly significant matches of various sorts per year. Which creates more CO2? Find something else to complain about. Every other country is proud to host it, but our bunch of whine bags love to give out till the fun is spoiled for everyone.
    I suppose the Olympic flame should be changed to an energy light saving bulb that's run on solar power too...

Every other country is proud to host it

Then let them host it. Boy racers + profiteers = Rally Ireland.

Biro wrote: »

For the next Olympics, they are going to set a "Jock" on fire & see if he can run the distance.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Iv got a loud car myself and will be up at five each morning... revving excessively
    :D

First kill is always the sweetest........so they say:eek:;):D

I'm escaping all the madness anyway to remember 14 people murdered in derry. All I can say is that with many cars pulling out for financial reason and their generally being a smaller buzz about it this year than last then I would assume it won't be the same or as good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Essexboy wrote: »

Every other country is proud to host it

Then let them host it. Boy racers + profiteers = Rally Ireland.

We are letting them host it, and they're letting us host it. Are you from Essex? Do you complain about Rally GB too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Yeah but rally GB is held in Wales.

Its good for the locality, brings much needed revenue to the area and from what i saw the last time there was alot less trouble and messing around in cars compared to the normal Sligo Stages.

It is worth the slight inconvenience for the exposure and advertising of our beautiful local countryside.

My 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

For the next Olympics, they are going to set a "Jock" on fire & see if he can run the distance.

Try to keep posts on topic, guys.

Discussion about the benefits/costs of the rally will be allowed, if only because this thread was dying a slow and painful death before everyone started whingeing about the other side :P

• Advertisement

cianclarke wrote: »
    THanks!
    Edit: No, tickets only for the service bay it seems!
    Found maps here:
    http://www.rallyireland.org/spectator-information

What stages would people recommend? I'd like to see one of the coastal ones, looking to take photos..

There is a charge to get into the Diamond in Donegal town also. But IMO the Rally will be well finished as a contest come that part of the weekend so you are better off getting to some of the early stages. Best way is to go out early be at the stage 2-3 hours before it and walk up the stage to find a good spot. They close the roads going into the stages early also so be early. I plan on being at the Glenboy stage at 5.30 , should get parking withen 2miles of where I am planning on watching.
    On Sunday morning I am going to the Arigna stage, same again going early and about 1.5 miles form the start there is a excellent viewing point thats not on the programme, you will see the cars for about 1KM going flat out and cornering then going flat out again right past where you are standing leaving you with a mouth full of fumes :D

Advertisement