Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally Ireland 09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

For the next Olympics, they are going to set a "Jock" on fire & see if he can run the distance.
    I hope Mrs. T doesnt read that one, you brave man!:D

liam7831 wrote: »
    Enough negativity about the rally, its worth millions to the local economy.
    Iv got a loud car myself and will be up at five each morning... revving excessively
    :D

Mine is not loud but silent and fast (more dangerous!:D), got a loud bike which is not fast what one shall I bring??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭muffinob1

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice, I've gone back to do my masters in St Angelas in Lough Gill Sligo and for some strange reason we have college this weekend!!
    I'm coming from Carlow and on normal weekends I go up to Dublin and in Lucan get onto the N4 and drive up and it takes about 3 hours. Can ye tell me will traffic be brutal and what's the best way to get into Lough Gill Friday at 7pm and out of it Sat at 4

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

do you normally come into sligo and turn for st angela's at the IT?

if so the only place you will see activity is around the service park area
    at the IT and to a lesser extent the park and ride facility which is located in hazelwood on the way to st angela's....there are no stages in the vicinity until sunday morning from what i can recall.....if you wanted to avoid the area altogether you could come/go to st angela's via dromahair.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭muffinob1

Thanks a million that doen't sound too bad!! Will traffic around sligo be mental?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Was at the Lough Gill stage and a few others in '07 and was bored senseless by the lacklustre pace of the drivers. Dani Sordo seemed to be the only one prepared to attack the corners and actually drive as if he were in a rally car.

All in all I came away with the impression that they simply didn't fancy it after Gronholm crashed out. I'm not convinced they will fancy it much this year either to be honest.

i would say to expect the worst and that way you won't
    be disappointed!......seriously tho it does'nt take much to
    snafu the traffic in town so if the crowds forcast/weather
    forcast is right then it might not be pretty by times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Hoorah! I found out when the fireworks are! Saturday 31st January 7.30 pm Rally festival and fireworks. Live music throughout the day in O'Connell Street, big screen, a street pageant at 7.30pm which finishes at 8.30pm along the riverside. Samba bands along Riverside before the fireworks display around 8.45pm :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 4wheelin

Just a harp back to the wum's who were obviously bored with boy racers and at the annoyance of attracting a major sporting event to these parts. I have an ideal solution, lets get rid of it from the NW, lets send it to, let's say North Antrim, Kerry, Armagh, N.Down, Offaly, Waterford, Galway, Tipp, I'm sure they'd be most annoyed like you with all those b----y noisy boy racers, nosey tourists, shattered B&B hosts, hoteliers, publicans,fuel stations, newsagents,cafes, chippies, were all depressed with the "current worldwide economic downturn" so lets all join in and turn down any more opportunities and send the lot packing. Watch out the above mentioned counties, bet you are glad you dont have to put up with all this "hassle"
    I've got a big gun lets all shoot ourshelves in the feet this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Was at the Lough Gill stage and a few others in '07 and was bored senseless by the lacklustre pace of the drivers. Dani Sordo seemed to be the only one prepared to attack the corners and actually drive as if he were in a rally car.

All in all I came away with the impression that they simply didn't fancy it after Gronholm crashed out. I'm not convinced they will fancy it much this year either to be honest.

Lough Gill was closed down after the crash and times were not being recorded so that would explain the cars just driving through. There is good upto date coverage on Ocean FM (102-104FM) so its always no harm to bring the radio attachment for mobile phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

genie wrote: »
    No, I completely agree. I live near Geevagh and I don't know who was consulted about the rally. We were just told that it was happening - end of story. :rolleyes: It is noisy and I'm not looking forward to spectators taking a short cut down my very narrow and winding road and driving far too fast like they did last time. In short, I can't wait until it's over. :(

I am neutral enough about the rally, but I have heard others wondering will there be any environmentalists having a silent protest against these gas guzzlers I wonder ?

It must be costing the taxpayer a fortune, given the amount of Gardai about, not to mention the Bord Failte sponsorship / handout etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

4wheelin wrote: »
    Just a harp back to the wum's who were obviously bored with boy racers and at the annoyance of attracting a major sporting event to these parts. I have an ideal solution, lets get rid of it from the NW, lets send it to, let's say North Antrim, Kerry, Armagh, N.Down, Offaly, Waterford, Galway, Tipp, I'm sure they'd be most annoyed like you with all those b----y noisy boy racers, nosey tourists, shattered B&B hosts, hoteliers, publicans,fuel stations, newsagents,cafes, chippies, were all depressed with the "current worldwide economic downturn" so lets all join in and turn down any more opportunities and send the lot packing. Watch out the above mentioned counties, bet you are glad you dont have to put up with all this "hassle"
    I've got a big gun lets all shoot ourshelves in the feet this weekend

They do not want it in Kerry either. http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=82291-qqqx=1.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

I would love to see it down South, save you bunch of moaners the annoyance!!
    I'm not a huge rally fan but as this still puts money into your local economy in what is a quiet peroid, you lot are the most ungrateful people I have ever heard...You must be all doing great business up there are you in these times???
    I'll tell you what, bring it to Cork and Kerry and we'll take it off your hands no problem! The people there would be very glad of it at this time of the year!
    By the way I'm not a boy racer, if it was just 4 days of annoyance, then put up with it!!
    From what I could see, no one could casue any trouble with the Gardai force involved and was only the noise issue that would be a big thing.
    So take it from me you moaners....bug off!! You won't miss it till its gone! Everyone is getting benefits from it directly and indirectly!:mad: Cop on people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Essexboy wrote: »

Give the Killarney Hoteliers and people living in the town 6 more months of bad times and they'll change their minds!!
    I lived in the town for some time and they would jump at the opportunity to have it with the way the town has declined...
    Everyone is linked to tourism in that town, its going through a massive decline, with hotels closing left and right, business in this time of the year is non existant, they would get money in what is a dead peroid of the year!

I know the people can't be seen approving of the image but they'll take the money and shut up! Any rally there (Rally of the Lakes), despite the clean ups, trouble and stuff, pumps millions of euro into Killarney. As much as they hate the image of it and who it attracts they do well not to mess it up given the current climate.

As much as people disapprove of the event up the country, you'll still take the money from extra business you hypocrites !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I went out for a look at the shakedown stage today. I was mostly interested from a photography point of view as I wasn't convinced of the thrill of standing in a cold field for an hour just for a car to go past at a ludicrous speed every couple of minutes.

I won't say I'm completely converted but they are pretty impressive up close and there's definitely a buzz to watching the skill with which these guys can drive. That and the fact that they're flying past at that speed 3 or 4 feet from your face:eek:. I'll stick up some shots when I get them off the camera.

Ultimately there are lots of things that humans get up to that probably don't make sense in absolute terms, rallying included, but that doesn't mean it's not fun!:)

Now, anyone got any good suggestions for a spot on Lough Gill for Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

i read a report yesterday that most of the hotels in the area are booked out, i think for the sake of a bit of noise for a few days it is good to see money coming into the area and we shouldnt be turning our nose up at it, the rally is viewed by millions of people worldwide and u would be surprised at the amount of people that would travel here just because what they see on the tv.

as for not hosting it again, the drivers relish our roads because they are not used to the challenges, the surface can change in a couple of feet, yes the numbers are down but then again at a cost of over 50k to run a car in one event why wouldnt the numbers be down.

as for the time delay someone mentioned after the crash at lough gill, i have worked at a lot of rallies, and when a car crashes it is radioed back to the beginning of stage where all cars are stopped but between the crash and start there are a no of cars on the route and this have to be accounted for before a service or rescue vehicle can be allowed on.

with regard to people viewing and walking through gardens and leaving crap behind, have seen this firsthand and it is just the menality of irish people in general if u ask me, walk down any street in a town and u will see people throwing rubbish, any rally we worked on we always spoke to people that might be near where we parked the car and most people were lovely would let us use their bathroom, make us tea etc.

as for boyracers - what can u do? there is a few daft ones that dont take anyones safety into consideration but most of them spend so much money on their cars and insurance that they are okay, drive into sligo town anyday on the dual carriageway plenty of drivers not in revved up sports cars thinking they are boy racers!!

it is a huge event a lot of hard work goes into it and it is good for our economy esp with the ways things are going so for the sake of 4 days i think just ignore it.

if people ever had any problem with the sligo stages they complained and this were listened to, but most times it is just some person that likes to complain.

my biggest regret is the times that the rally is on and it is a pity not run a little bit later in the day.

good luck to them all and may they keep their very expensive cars between the ditches

I do like the rally and I'm not a rally fan at all, the buzz in our village is great.

As for the boy racers, we all have been young and did silly things. If you didnt do anything stupid in your teenage years or twenty's you haven't lived! (in my hummble opinion)

Boys=testostoron=stupid behouvior, see we cant help ourselfs!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Boy racers are not necessarily always "boys" - most of them are in their late 20s... a lot of them keep going through their 30's and then there's the bizzarre phenomenon of the really old dudes going round in souped up Subarus. As for girl racers... don't get me started. :D

not a wrong word about girl racers!! There is something seriously hot about a girl in a tuned up loud car!!!

Ps I'm a boy in my 30th's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

anyone see anything today, was down at the service park my self, was going to head back down there this evening after the completion of the 2 night stages, to get some shots as the cars coming back under the lights, but just heard the they have been canceled due to flooding

oh well, will head back down in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I went to Glenboy but got a tip off that point B was the spot to go. Headed there for the second 4th stage, i got a spot standing on the end of a long straight and we got to see them take the corner just under our feet. Stood in one spot for 2 hours but well worth it. Thinking of Tempo tomorrow.

was at the first stage through glenboy this morning...on the course at 5.30 so good vantage point...went home and dried off then headed for
    ss7 at murley on the far side of enniskillen...was there before we heard it was cancelled:( (..was looking forward to the night runs too!)

tomorrow will head for tempo and prob stay put for the two stages.

...don't know about sunday...will wait and see how the standings are
    before i commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Had to work Friday and Saturday but headed out to Geevagh (point B) at stupid o'clock this morning, and then back to the service park just in time to watch the cars arrive back. ^_^ I love the rally - were I grew up we used have the old Circuit of Ireland rally come along our road - I really miss the buzz of having it so close.

It's only 4 days folks, the town is just as messy the day after New Year's or St. Patricks day. It does give me rage to see people drop litter (anywhere) or trekking off across a private field, but anytime I see such a thing I'll say something to the perpetrator.

And frankly I find it difficult to believe that there are many shops/hotels/etc in the area that don't benifit from it. I work in the Carraroe retail park which was a park and ride. We had a number of sales to people who were only there for the Park and Ride so I know we benefited.

Anyway, I don't care - I had a run up a hill at 8am in the cold to see some smashing driving and it felt great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Is it my imagination or are all the rally enthusiasts supporters of a particular political party?

All the people I know who are interested in WRC support this party and the public representatives shouting the loudest about it are members. :confused:

Is it my imagination or are all the rally enthusiasts supporters of a particular political party?

All the people I know who are interested in WRC support this party and the public representatives shouting the loudest about it are members. :confused:

You mean the Green Party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anyways,
    We went to the parade and fireworks last night. Great turn out. This morning we saw all the rally cars going through our village getting ready for the Lough Gill stage, great to see them up close. Unfortunately didn't get to see the fast action because they had to turn spectators away because it was too busy. Glad there was a lot of support. We loved it!!! Great buzz around here.

Mrs.T wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anyways,
    We went to the parade and fireworks last night. Great turn out. This morning we saw all the rally cars going through our village getting ready for the Lough Gill stage, great to see them up close. Unfortunately didn't get to see the fast action because they had to turn spectators away because it was too busy. Glad there was a lot of support. We loved it!!! Great buzz around here.

I watched some of the highlights on the telly last night... there was one driver from Letterkenny who ran out of petrol on one of the stages!! He'd to siphon petrol from a mate's car to get going again & lost 4 minutes - :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

You mean the Green Party?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

What on earth are you talking about? What possible connection is there? And for the record I'm not a member of any political party, never have been, and I've voted for candidates for a number of different parties over the years. Hope that helps settle your paranoia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

still sorting through the pictures i took at the service park, took over 300 there last night when the cars were coming back in and was there at three seperate ocasions over the weekend, would say took between 700 and 800 over the three visits

didn't go to any stages this year, although had i known a few days ago that RTE were not showing donegal town live might have gone to it, their production of it still not great this time around, but still way better than their attempts in 2007

Advertisement