Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dal, and vegetable kofta curry

• 22-01-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi

Just looking some veggie recipe suggestions - this forum seems more active than the vegetarian one so I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm a big dal fan, but I can never seem to make one as nice as ones I get in indian restaurants. I know there's loads of recipes on websites, but I was looking for suggestions from experience, if anyone has any.

Any suggestions for ingredients / methods to try? At the moment most of my efforts involve cumin / coriander / mustard seeds / random other spices, tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic, sometimes some grated creamed coconut. Lentils wise, I am using red lentils because they're so quick to cook, but I'll go into town to an Asian shop and try some other types, I'm just not sure which.

Secondly, Bombay Pantry take away do a lovely dish called vegetable kofta curry, does anybody know it? It's deep fried vegetable balls in a cashewy-creamy sauce. I've found a few recipes online and will give them ago, but again was just wondering if anybody has tried making a similar dish, and how did it turn out?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I cook the garlic in oil until toasty and golden, a fine line between toasty and burnt, but the flavour of the dhal with the toasty garlic is similar to that in the restaurants, I think.

Tarka dhal is (apart from my favourite food joke) is dhal with the spices - the tarka or talka. So cook the lentils in stock with tumeric, then when the lentils are cooked, make the tarka by frying whole spices in oil to release the aromatics - include the garlic here - once the seeds are popping and the garlic is golden, tip the whole lot into the dhal. Garnish with a little carmelised onion or some fresh chopped coriander.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I think the reason why the Dal in the Indian restaurant is so much nicer is because they load it with ghee...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

muckety wrote: »
    I think the reason why the Dal in the Indian restaurant is so much nicer is because they load it with ghee...

very true, it makes a massive difference. I'd imagine it should be available in any ethnic foodstores though. Or you could try using a clarified butter which is more or less the same thing.

I love making tarka Dal, although its laborious and takes quite a time, the flavours are fantastic. I do agree though you need to add the spiced tarka to the dal last to get the best flavours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jobucks wrote: »
    Or you could try using a clarified butter which is more or less the same thing.
    It's exactly the same thing (as long as it's "real" ghee and not the vegetarian stuff you can also get) :) You can even make it yourself quite easily by melting, skimming and straining molten butter through muslin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Thanks all for the suggestions, i'll start experimenting....:D

• Advertisement

This is an excellent source for veggie indian recipes.

http://365daysveg.wordpress.com/category/dals-legumes/

Advertisement