Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Husky Excercise Q

• 22-01-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

How far do you walk your husky every day or every week!
    Iv heard they need roughly a 10mile walk every day, this is the only thing putting me off getting one as i dont have the time or energy to walk 10miles a day!

hat is a sufficient amount to walk/ excercise them...

(I live in a housing estate however i have a large green area behind my house)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

They would need at least 2 hours walk a day i would imagine, they need a lot of exercise.
    A green area would not be sufficient exercise for a husky as they need long walks to burn up any energy they have. The were bred to pull and need a lot of daily exercise, maybe a husky isnt for you if you dont have the time to walk them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

10 miles sounds great, mine don't get that every day, but they do have a large field to run around in and they wear themselves out like that. Before we moved here, I used to walk them twice a day on a beach and nature reserve and I guess they probably were doing about the 10 miles a day. The unfortunate thing with huskies is that you can't let them off the lead for their exercise, pups are usually fine (although they shouldn't be over exercised anyway) but when they hit a certain age, they will disappear on you if they're off lead. So they really do need good long, brisk lead walks unless you have an area for them to run off lead that is fully fenced - a lot of people in the UK let their dogs off in tennis courts, basketball courts etc.

Scootering is great fun and scooters aren't that expensive, much cheaper than rigs, and you can scooter with one dog easily. It is a fantastic way to wear a husky out - once they get to the right age - and lots and lots of fun, you can cover a couple of miles with them and because they're constantly on the go, it really wears them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

They need to be strenuously worked, walking might not even be enough no matter how long. They're designed to run and pull long distances in harsh conditions and are built for stamina. I really think you should reconsider getting this breed of dog - how about a samoyed or akita? Both are husky-like but don't need as much exercise!

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    They need to be strenuously worked, walking might not even be enough no matter how long. They're designed to run and pull long distances in harsh conditions and are built for stamina. I really think you should reconsider getting this breed of dog - how about a samoyed or akita? Both are husky-like but don't need as much exercise!

Best of luck :)

Was thingking about a samoyed cross bread with a husky! is it possible to tell if they would require the same excercise as a husky?
    I would be torn between a husky, samoyed or rough collie... So far a rough collie is the most practical and realistic dog (in relation to my lifestyle) however i do love huskys but dont know enough about samoyeds! Do you know if there are any good info sites on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Well the Samoyed is also a husky breed so the answer to that is probably no... that wouldn't solve your problem... I think the best idea is to go for a rough collie, who, while originally working dogs, also need a lot of exercise to keep them in top condition, probably don't need as much or as intensive exercise as a husky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, having experienced first hand what huskies can do (i.e. pull a sled 50km a day without even breaking a sweat) I'd never get one as a pet, despite always having wanted one myself.

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    Well the Samoyed is also a husky breed so the answer to that is probably no... that wouldn't solve your problem... I think the best idea is to go for a rough collie, who, while originally working dogs, also need a lot of exercise to keep them in top condition, probably don't need as much or as intensive exercise as a husky.

So would you think a samoyed would be out of the question, i intend on walking ,whatever dog i get, roughly about a mile every day! would this satisfy the needs of a samoyed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Don't mean to be rude here but a mile a day wouldn't be enough for 99% of breeds! I go biking with my cairn terrier and he can run beside the bike very easily for a good 7-8 miles! Collies could do a lot more than this so imagine what a huky can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Yeah, a mile a day is pretty meagre, I walk more than a mile to and from work, and home again for lunch-time, it takes about 5 mins... My middle-aged greyhounds (the laziest breed known to man) get at least 3 miles brisk walking a day, more at the weekend, they are quite capable of doing 8miles over rough terrain, so a young exuberant husky would be neurotic, destructive and frustrated if it got a mile a day... (not to mention fat...)
    The only breeds that would be happy with a mile a day are tiny toy breeds, and by that I don't include terriers who would give any dog a run for their money.

Maybe im over estimating the length of a mile... When i go for a walk it usually lasts a good 45-50mins! I think ill measure it tomorrow in the car as its alongside a road and see how far it actually is!

• Advertisement

My Guy is 10 weeks now but i have to wait another week before i can take him out for walks. He likes to run the garden at the moment . I am actually thinking about making somthing were he can drag me along the street or the beach.

My main concern is i need to get him to stop using hands as chew toys !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I am adopting a ten year old Samoyed - how many miles would be recommended?
    (Edit: She has stiffness in her legs and is overweight - vet recommended daily dose of Cod Liver Oil and switch to Pedigree Light, but didn't mention how much walking is appropriate.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

A mile should take someone about 20 mins to walk or less.

If you are getting a Huski or Samoyed you will either need to be very fit or need to get a bike so you can cycle along with them.

Measured the route that i thought was a mile, turned out to be 3 and a half miles... Wow poeple who ask me for directions must get really pissed off

Anyways would a 3.5 mile walk a day be ok for a rough collie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

If you walk your Siberian husky twice a day and give him some playtime he will be fine. As for walking him ten miles a day,well thats crazy stuff. We have two huskies and thats the key,as they are always jumping and playing with each other,burning lots of energy.They do need company and will get bored and lonely on their own. Remember they are a pack animal.
    They are quite happy with any walks-short or long and love routine. Huskies are great pets-dont smell,eat too much,very clean gentle and loving.
    They love hunting and will run off as soon as they are off the lead so be careful!

Advertisement