Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connect External Hard Drive through USB ?

• 22-01-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭

I have a spare 2.5" external HD in a caddy and thought once I formatted it in FAT32 that the xbox 360 would be able to see it and play media from it but it doesn't .

Any ideas as to what I might have done wrong or does it just not see these .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It SHOULD work. I have a 2TB connected which is working perfectly. Are you sure it's formatted in FAT32? Does it detect the drive at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

Definitely FAT 32 . Xbox does not detect it . Red light does come on on the HD , tried connecting it with both one usb and with 2 but still nothing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Im not 100% sure but I think you might have to partition it to only 32gb so that the 360 can pick it up. Thats what mine is and it works.

That's definitely not the case, as I have the 2TB drive connected and working okay. Is your PC or laptop able to read the files? I assume you're going into Video Library on the dashboard and trying to select "Portable Device" as the source?

AdMMM wrote: »
    That's definitely not the case, as I have the 2TB drive connected and working okay. Is your PC or laptop able to read the files? I assume you're going into Video Library on the dashboard and trying to select "Portable Device" as the source?

Yeah , any of the pc's I connect it to can detect the HD and read the files . and then in Video Library the "portable Device" is greyed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea I have 500GB disk that I just connect and it works straight off with no partitioning or nothing. The Portable Device option is greyed out until it recognises that a USB device is powered on and connected. Maybe an issue with the USB ports? Have you tried a USB key on it?

A nice trick is to get a programe called MacDrive for your pc.

You can then format your external HD to HFS+, and use it the same as befor in windows, and which is supported by the 360.

This is very usefull if you want to watch HD-WMVs which are generaly over FAT32s 4GB file size limitation.

Not sure if its your probem tho.

Hmmm, my best guess then is that it can't draw enough power from the Xbox to properly spin up. This is assuming it's a USB-powered drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Hmmm, my best guess then is that it can't draw enough power from the Xbox to properly spin up. This is assuming it's a USB-powered drive.
    That might be it. The usb on the 360 might not be strong enough to power the hard drive.
    If you have an external powered hard drive try that one.

cisk wrote: »

Have Mac drive on the way will give it a shot

It is a USB powered HD but it has the double usb cable and I can hear it spinning .
    BFassassin wrote: »
    That might be it. The usb on the 360 might not be strong enough to power the hard drive.
    If you have an external powered hard drive try that one.

I have a powered HD but it is formatted in NTFS and full of all my important backup data .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

cisk wrote: »

You can then format your external HD to HFS+, and use it the same as befor in windows, and which is supported by the 360.

This is very usefull if you want to watch HD-WMVs which are generaly over FAT32s 4GB file size limitation.

Not sure if its your probem tho.

Can you play mkv files or any other types of HD quality stuff like this?

Unfortunately MKVs are still not supported by the 360.

you may have seen a rise in HD-WMV rips on newsgroups and torrents, this is because its the only HD codec that the 360 support which can be over 4GB.

360 also supports HD MPEG4 files but they need to be under 4GB.

If you want to convert MKVs or x264s for use on a 360 grab:

http://xenonmkv.ev98.net/

It will convert all your HD files to formats supported by the 360, and split films if neccasary.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Cool might give that a go...
    Have you used it yourself? Is it painfully slow?

Also is it fair to say that any hard drive will work with the XBOX as long as its in the right format and possibly has its own power suply?

It will depend on your system.

It saves time by:
    • No video transcoding required. All video is maintained at its original quality.
    • Only the audio is downsampled, so the process is much quicker than a full transcode. The Xbox 360 only supports 2-channel AAC audio with H.264 source. This is a restriction of the Xbox 360 media player and isn’t because I hate 5.1 surround (I’d actually love it, but no dice!) Please write to Microsoft and request enhanced audio support (5.1 AC3, DTS and AAC) as a feature for future dashboard releases.

Any HD should work, even some that work of USB power, but you will be better of with a self powered HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

I use my 250GB HD with my Xbox all the time, just try a USB key in it to see if that works, Im not sure if formatting has anything to do with it. But as was said already it may be a power issue

Advertisement