Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Ahern on Guantanamo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

shqipshume wrote: »
    How do you know? Do you know anyone from there.I do ;)
    Unless they're ISI or an expert on the intelligence communities in those countries, I'd say that who you know and where they come from makes eff all difference.
    Steve Coll has written some very good articles on the ISI (Pakistan), GID (Jordan) and the GIP (Saudi Arabia) for example. Christiane Amanpour and Jon Snow too also have delivered eye opening reportage on these agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Unless they're ISI or an expert on the intelligence communities in those countries, I'd say that who you know and where they come from makes eff all difference.
    Steve Coll has written some very good articles on the ISI (Pakistan), GID (Jordan) and the GIP (Saudi Arabia) for example. Christiane Amanpour and Jon Snow too also have delivered eye opening reportage on these agencies.

The point i am making you don't know if they are innocent or not! No one knows how they will be treated when they get home.An no one knows if they even want to come here or not.It called kissing their asses so they don't bring lawsuits against them.
    I hope they go home and build a better life for them and their families and take back their rights for the ones who are innocent.Instead been displaced and forced out of their country way of life and away from their families.

And another thing how screwed up are these people going to be after what they endured? They are going to need severe counseling and care. :(
    Whats best for these people you nor i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I have not said i agreed with the way things were handled over there and do not agree with them been held for so many years without trial.Again not Irish peoples fault.Thats the Americans who should be held accountable on that.And therefore they should be given homes in America if they have no desire to return home.

Who would you be doing it for?

I can imagine the inmates would love to live in America:rolleyes:

I've already said that it should be for our lack of stopping the injustices (eg Shannon)

To be fair since it's not going to be a drain on our economy, these aren't guilty people and because of what they suffered. That's why. And it's not for the American's I'd be doing it either, if it was my choice they'd not have the use of Shannon

The point i am making you don't know if they are innocent or not! No one knows how they will be treated when they get home.An no one knows if they even want to come here or not.It called kissing their asses so they don't bring lawsuits against them.
    I hope they go home and build a better life for them and their families and take back their rights for the ones who are innocent.Instead been displaced and forced out of their country way of life and away from their families.

And another thing how screwed up are these people going to be after what they endured? They are going to need severe counseling and care. :(
    Whats best for these people you nor i know.

If you read my initial post you'd see that I was talking on a sidetrack. I never expressed an opinion about where Gitmo inmates should go or be sent.
    You said that they'd be treated like heroes when they got home. I disagreed and said while some sympathisers to the causes they were accused of being part of would laud them, it would be dangerous for them given the proven track record of the relevant intelligence communities in some of the countries they are likely to come from.

If you read my initial post you'd see that I was talking on a sidetrack. I never expressed an opinion about where Gitmo inmates should go or be sent.
    You said that they'd be treated like heroes when they got home. I disagreed and said while some sympathisers to the causes they were accused of being part of would laud them, it would be dangerous for them given the proven track record of the relevant intelligence communities in some of the countries they are likely to come from.

Yes its possible it might be dangerous(not 100% possible) What about their families isnt it possible was dangerous for them to be related to them.Makes no sense to displace these people from their homes when their is no plausible reason except its possible.;)

• Advertisement

Cliste wrote: »
    I can imagine the inmates would love to live in America:rolleyes:

I've already said that it should be for our lack of stopping the injustices (eg Shannon)

To be fair since it's not going to be a drain on our economy, these aren't guilty people and because of what they suffered. That's why. And it's not for the American's I'd be doing it either, if it was my choice they'd not have the use of Shannon

Arent some of them born and raised in America?

Our lack of it.We are neutral country we let everyone here,they even would have given asylum to Saddam if he had sought it lol
    That's a poor reason for us to be apart of the blame,
    And didn't people demonstrate against it?
    So let the government officials responsible for it bring them to their houses and give them refuge there you go answer to problem.:D

Again point is they are some guilty perhaps all! When i am in favour of helping everyone Ireland is in no fit state to take on something which they do not understand.
    We already have apparent Islamic cells here in Ireland lets just give them more recruits :D

I can see your points of wanting to help but sorry sometimes its better to say no,help in other ways.give them funding help them rebuild take down those agencies that do if they do cause a threat to some of the innocent people when they go back home.
    Displacing them from their families after years of imprisonment is not the answer.
    When it is clear they wont be allowed work here.They will be just dumped here and have no lives at all.

Our lack of it.We are neutral country we let everyone here,they even would have given asylum to Saddam if he had sought it lol
    That's a poor reason for us to be apart of the blame,
    And didn't people demonstrate against it?
    So let the government officials responsible for it bring them to their houses and give them refuge there you go answer to problem.:D

I don't think we did enough - the people gave the government a mandate to complain. But they didn't.
    Again point is they are some guilty perhaps all! When i am in favour of helping everyone Ireland is in no fit state to take on something which they do not understand.
    We already have apparent Islamic cells here in Ireland lets just give them more recruits :D

I'm not 100% any of them would like staying here if this is our Céad Míle Fcuk Off's :D

Perhaps by mopping up the mess we would show ourselves to be a friendly western nation, thus reducing the risk :rolleyes:

I can see your points of wanting to help but sorry sometimes its better to say no,help in other ways.give them funding help them rebuild take down those agencies that do if they do cause a threat to some of the innocent people when they go back home.
    Displacing them from their families after years of imprisonment is not the answer.
    When it is clear they wont be allowed work here.They will be just dumped here and have no lives at all.

They don't have to move here, I'm not going to tie a rope onto them and nail them to the floor so they don't go home. I just saw that one of the inmates solicitors was trying to get him into Ireland - ie they want to be here.

And wait a second.... a minute ago we didn't want to give them money for accomadation, now we want to start giving more aid?!?!? :pac:

Yes its possible it might be dangerous(not 100% possible) What about their families isnt it possible was dangerous for them to be related to them.Makes no sense to displace these people from their homes when their is no plausible reason except its possible.;)

Using that logic, the families would have been 'renditioned' also.

Using that logic, the families would have been 'renditioned' also.
    But thats exactly how it works in all the countries you have named and many others guilty by association

I don't think we did enough - the people gave the government a mandate to complain. But they didn't.

I'm not 100% any of them would like staying here if this is our Céad Míle Fcuk Off's :D

Perhaps by mopping up the mess we would show ourselves to be a friendly western nation, thus reducing the risk :rolleyes:

They don't have to move here, I'm not going to tie a rope onto them and nail them to the floor so they don't go home. I just saw that one of the inmates solicitors was trying to get him into Ireland - ie they want to be here.

And wait a second.... a minute ago we didn't want to give them money for accomadation, now we want to start giving more aid?!?!? :pac:

Its done over done what can you do now?

Reducing risk of what now exactly?

And why in the world would anyone want to move to Ireland and been in a prison for how many years.
    If he has family here already fair enough.But perhaps its the easiest most naive country in the world right now and good pickings here lol

• Advertisement

Its done over done what can you do now?

reduce the effect
    Reducing risk of what now exactly?

Them orrible terrorist attacks you so fear - you were talking about terrorist groups in Ireland
    And why in the world would anyone want to move to Ireland and been in a prison for how many years.
    If he has family here already fair enough.But perhaps its the easiest most naive country in the world right now and good pickings here lol

lol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I seen an article that says at least one of them wants to be here.

And good pickings!? what?:confused:

reduce the effect

Them orrible terrorist attacks you so fear - you were talking about terrorist groups in Ireland

lol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I seen an article that says at least one of them wants to be here.

And good pickings!? what?:confused:

I dont think we will be attacked they have cells here thats a fact! They dont see us as a threat and we are good base;)lol

Good pickings cash accomadation and free cars lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

One or two might have been born there.
    free cars lol

This would be the free cars for 'dem blak immigrantz' that everyone swears exist, because they know somebody whose sister in the civil service told them it was true...

But thats exactly how it works in all the countries you have named and many others guilty by association

QED it is not safe for them to return to those countries ie. my point all along...

Nodin wrote: »
    One or two might have been born there.

This would be the free cars for 'dem blak immigrantz' that everyone swears exist, because they know somebody whose sister in the civil service told them it was true...

More than one or two some British some other nationalities to apparently.

It does exist i have been told first hand by them.Just say they are been racially attacked on bus or at bus stop i cant travel for fear of abuse and there you go car for you.Some of the scams i have heard of are pretty genius lol
    Oh the naive :D

Did you know Irish may claim it to under some medical condition.

It does exist i have been told first hand by them.Just say they are been racially attacked on bus or at bus stop i cant travel for fear of abuse and there you go car for you.Some of the scams i have heard of are pretty genius lol

link?

link?

For what?

For what?

I was asking for some proof that isn't you!

I was asking for some proof that isn't you!

Proof on what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Proof on what?

the shíte you are spouting about non nationals being given cars. Its the oldest cliché in the book and has been disproven so many times its unreal.

You must be on a wind up. No-one is that dense.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

the shíte you are spouting about non nationals being given cars. Its the oldest cliché in the book and has been disproven so many times its unreal.

You must be on a wind up. No-one is that dense.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/false-claims-help-bill-for-asylum-seekers-to-hit-8364300m-1366632.html

I havent got a link to the confidential welfare system and they are hardly advertising free cars.I am telling you they have told me as such certain people they have received cheques for cars from Irish welfare and thought it was quite funny.
    Also Irish people can claim Cars on ground of certain medical conditions.
    i am not going through god know how many documents to find it for you.

cliste stop been a smart ass you are jumping on a few words and ran away from the other stuff i have said.The above link tells you what asylum seekers from these countries see Ireland as;)easy pickings

Interesting. Still nearly 90% were not found to have been refused elsewhere, and to be honest any scams pulled by asylum seekers is sick. Just as it's sick to see from the Irish themselves. I'd rather not tar them all with the same brush.

Anyway what have these asylum seekers got to do with the inmates in Guentanemo?
    I havent got a link to the confidential welfare system and they are hardly advertising free cars.I am telling you they have told me as such certain people they have received cheques for cars from Irish welfare and thought it was quite funny.

May be so, but it's a case of I'll believe it when I see it. And I don't
    cliste stop been a smart ass you are jumping on a few words and ran away from the other stuff i have said.The above link tells you what asylum seekers from these countries see Ireland as;)easy pickings

Stop winking at me for no reason. And what points have I failed to address?

Interesting. Still nearly 90% were not found to have been refused elsewhere, and to be honest any scams pulled by asylum seekers is sick. Just as it's sick to see from the Irish themselves. I'd rather not tar them all with the same brush.

Anyway what have these asylum seekers got to do with the inmates in Guentanemo?

May be so, but it's a case of I'll believe it when I see it. And I don't

Stop winking at me for no reason. And what points have I failed to address?

I am not going around in circles with you again to tired.

I have repeatedly asked what grounds are they been coming to Ireland been housed etc.... i am still waiting for plausible reason,and not the feeling of people who are feeling bad for them,I feel bad for all people who endure any pain if they are not guilty.
    And i am not taring all with same brush,I know plenty of good people who deserve some form of asylum, but you can bet the ones who are coming here aren't coming here to be safe. sorry i don't buy it.
    we can go over and over and over it,I am viewing it as it is Ireland should not be taking on possible terrorists or Islamic extremists.
    You be the do good-er go ahead good for you i wont agree with it unless they are proven without doubt innocent the ones who do get here.
    And again i ask what about their families back there do they get to bring them to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/false-claims-help-bill-for-asylum-seekers-to-hit-8364300m-1366632.html

Who are they? The lads in your class?

No mention of these free cars in the article. This story has been doing the rounds since the 1950's in England and it was bollocks then.

What medical conditions? If you cant find the document you should retract your claims, because they are total fantasy.

I googled "Do asylum seekers get free cars"

http://www.google.ie/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=do+asylum+seekers+get+free+cars&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Obviously, if this was to happen, it would be done for political reasons, and to be honest... I think maybe the pros outweigh the cons. There's a hundred reasons the ex-detainees - guilty or innocent - shouldn't go home. They have to go somewhere, and IMHO, Ireland stands to gain internationally by stepping up.

Plus, it would be nice for Ireland to be the Grown-Up for once.

I believe there were two chief reasons for this. First, Ireland only started accepting massive amounts of immigrants and asylum-seekers within the last 10-12 years or so, during its "Celtic Tiger" economic boom. Ireland had never experienced such an influx of foreigners before, and so it acted out of simple ignorance in allowing them in, without considering this: once you admit foreigners -- particularly those who are so different that they can never fully assimilate, such as Middle-Easterners and blacks -- how is that going to affect your country in the long term? We're talking over TEN PERCENT of Ireland's current population here, and these foreigners have far higher birthrates with totally different cultures, which they maintain. Ireland never really considered this question, as it should have -- and therefore never had the safeguards in place to prevent populations of these people from entering in the first place, and/or lying that they were asylum-seekers just to get in and bum off the state's money (this happened with blacks, especially). This was the longer-term answer to your question.

The second answer is that the Irish government, as you alluded to, has become what we in the U.S. call 'politically correct'-- in other words, of a mindset to pander to ethnic minorities in every way, at the expense of all else, just to show how 'un-racist' they are. In this kind of poisonous mindset, people become hyper-sensitive, fear and paralysis sets in, and whole new sets of laws are crafted that deliberately give preferences to minorities over much more qualified persons, based on race -- and any criticism of this will get the person ostracized as a bigot, racist, criminal, etc. and could even result in prison time. I kid you not, it's gotten that bad in places, and is fast getting there, in others. This is the exact OPPOSITE mindest of Martin Luther King Jr, who said he dreamed of a place where content of character was the basis of thinking, not skin color.

Now, Ireland's current economic tumult is seeing a lot of immigrants leave again, but not (that I've yet seen) any of the above-mentioned ones. So, until the Irish people reclaim their former, fighting spirit in a mass, national way -- these people are going to keep coming to Ireland. They've discovered yet another passive European country to go to, but NOT assimilate into.

copied from someone in america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So you can't prove it. And, given that others can't find anything and seeing as I looked to see if it was true before and could find nothing, surely the decent thing to do is to admit theres not a grain of truth in it...?
    No-one is that dense.

I came across so many repeating it as true, I looked into it myself. So common it was, that I would probably have believed it, were it not for the fact that in every version, the ones getting the cars were described as 'black'. No chinese, Arabs, or other ethnicities.
    so it acted out of simple ignorance in allowing them in, without considering this: once you admit foreigners -- particularly those who are so different that they can never fully assimilate, such as Middle-Easterners and blacks

Them 'blacks' eh? So your problem with ex-Guantanamo detainees isn't based on fear of them going Jihadi at the sight of a Guinness add, but them being "middle Easterners" or "blacks"....Tut, tut, tut.

Don't we have a Nigerian mayor here, and a few playing the GAA....Isn't there a 'Black' as President of some large Western power or other.....

• Advertisement

Surely you should feel better:

"no one is talking about terrorists or anything like that coming to EU countries. We're talking about non-combatants — people who clearly have no history of any terrorist activity."

It even says they can't go home:

"The U.S. Defense Department says about 50 of the 245 prisoners awaiting freedom cannot go home again on security or political grounds"

Advertisement