Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation of the Soccer forum

Options
  • 22-01-2009 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Ok this can go one of two ways....:eek:

I only found out recently that one of the busiest Mods of the Soccer forum happens to be Female. I've been wondering whether, in a male-dominated sport, this is really a wise choice. "Sexist bastard" I hear you cry already, but give it some thought.

I'm not trying to suggest Women have no place in Soccer, lord knows a football manager recently got into deep sh*t for suggesting the same, but whether it's PC or not the simple fact of the matter is that it's always been primarily a male driven sport. This, in my humble opinion, raises doubts about the ability of a Female Mod to see the wood from the trees. I've played football since schoolboy level, there has always been fights and slaggings between rival teams, something which gets blown out of proportion on the Soccer forum these days. IMHO, moderating this recurring tension requires more than watching a few episodes of Soccer AM, it goes back to childhood, fellas growing up with a Male figure who undoubtedly influenced their team choice, so when someone slags their beloved club, it cuts to the bone.

I think heavy handed moderation and lashing out infractions and such, is not the way forward. Granted, the way some posters behave from time to time is nothing short of ridiculous, but I do think there has to be a bit more leeway given for what is fundamentally an emotional game.

I want it to be known, I have absolutely no issue with Women or Women in Soccer, so don't throw the chauvinist card at me if you don't mind. I'm just raising a point I think might need to be looked at. I mean, it's obvious the Soccer forum doesn't have many female users (I don't think it does anyway) and in the real world it's like a bunch of fellas sitting in a pub arguing Rafa V Fergie stats and a woman intervenes telling everyone to shut up or keep it calm. It's never gonna go down too well, some things are just testosterone and cannot be understood by the female species. Yes, we're stupidly childish and wrong most of the time, shock horror. If we just accepted the league was a one horse race before the season even began, we'd just quit following the game altogether.

Apologies in advance for the inevitable offence this might cause, but I'm open to correction re all the above.

Let me have it...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If there are any issues with GY as a mod, it has nothing to do with the fact that she is female and american (I'm sure you'd have mentioned this aspect if you knew).

Either make a valid point or don't make an point.

This thread isn't going to last too long I'd say (and rightly so due to it's nature) so won't make any more comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've played three years of semi-pro soccer, supported Seria A and English soccer for over 20 years and have attended derbies in Rome, Milan, Dublin (shock!), Tokyo, Manchester, Nottingham, Rio, and Madrid along with the El Clásico game in Mexico, I've also attended top flight games in Spain, France, Germany, Bolivia, Mexico, Brazil, Ireland, England, Holland, Argentina and Belgium. I've attended two World Cups and three copa Americas and I've had a season ticket to my local professional soccer team for 10 years (no matter where I've been).

If that isn't enough, my soccer writing was anonymously voted joint third in the soccer forum. ;):p

What makes you think you know anything more about the sport or have any greater claim to it than I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

GuanYin wrote: »
    What makes you think you know anything more about the sport or have any greater claim to it than I do?
    Where did I make that claim? I figured you might take this personally, but it's not actually a vendetta or hidden agenda. I'm just questioning the logic of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Savman wrote: »
    Where did I make that claim? I figured you might take this personally, but it's not actually a vendetta or hidden agenda. I'm just questioning the logic of it.

Ok, well then as I'm someone who has attended and played more high quality soccer than most in the forum what is illogical?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've played three years of semi-pro soccer, supported Seria A and English soccer for over 20 years and have attended derbies in Rome, Milan, Dublin (shock!), Tokyo, Manchester, Nottingham, Rio, and Madrid along with the El Clásico game in Mexico, I've also attended top flight games in Spain, France, Germany, Bolivia, Mexico, Brazil, Ireland, England, Holland, Argentina and Belgium. I've attended two World Cups and three copa Americas and I've had a season ticket to my local professional soccer team for 10 years (no matter where I've been).
    Pics or none of it ever happened. :)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jesus.

H.

Tapdancing.

Christ.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ok, well then as I'm someone who has attended and played more high quality soccer than most in the forum what is illogical?
    Well firstly, you don't have a penis...or do you :D

As regards the level you played at, it's not comparable to the same in Men's Soccer but fair play regardless. Unfortunately, you would be the exception rather than the norm, and I do respect that. But it seems anytime I see your posts you're always ready to reach for the big red button and make with the bans.

I've never had a deep meaningful conversation with a lady about Soccer, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Jesus.

H.

Tapdancing.

Christ.

:rolleyes:

What he said, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've failed to explain to me how the absence of a penis makes GY any less capable as a Soccer mod. Is she supposed to be banging it against the keyboard or something?

Oh, and I locked this because there's only one way it can go, and nothing to be gained from it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement