Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPnP media player for NAS & Xbox 360

Options
  • 22-01-2009 5:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a LaCie NetworkSpace NAS yesterday and have transferred all my media files across to it, the intention being for it to be a media streamer for my various networked devices (laptop, netbook, WiFi radio and Xbox 360 at the moment).

In order to get the media streamed onto my 360 from the NAS I seem to need a UPnP media player (at least that's what the details on the LaCie site seems to suggest).

So what can I do to sort this? The Xbox 360 is finding the drive but can't find any files on it...

Is it something as simple as installing Windows Media Player onto the drive??

Secondly, the folder with all my content on it is password protected - there are other people on the network who I'd like to block - but is there a way to ensure my laptops can always get direct access, without having to enter the password every time I boot up?

Not a major deal, just a slight inconvenience I'd like to bypass if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just to add to this - the 360 seems to be able to find files I put in the 'openshare' folder, which is the one the NAS automatically designates to be freely accessible to anyone on the network.

As I was saying, I'd rather not have totally open access so do I need additional software to have the 360 access the 'myshare' folder which is password protected or is it not possible at all??

Advertisement