Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR 2 demo is out

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Used a rapidshare link, excellent :D

So........basically within 5 mins it was the scariest game I had ever played, well...in recent memory :eek:

There were 2 things of note for me :)

When walking through that corridor i was reminding myself...'its just a game, stay calm...theres no reason to.....RUNN......jesus runnnn.....feck feck feck ..WTF !!!!!....okay...ok....lets just sit in this corner here and wait....your not being a scaredy cat...its tactics...yeah...that it...tac...OH JESUS HELP ME!!!'

There should be warning for anyone with the slightest heart condition, its ridiculous !!!

Excellent variety of weapons for a demo, though I was dissappointed they left out walking, and the leaning .
    Also the mech part does nothing for me, just confusing. Jumping from a tense-horror-shooter straight into a mech shoot everything game

I'm intrigued. What is so pant ****tingly scary about this corridor? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after playin the demo, i never played the first FEAR game but this is incredible, will defo be buying this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ye gotta play it seriously :)...and i suggest for anyone whos gonna play it..do it properly

That is...not at 2pm with a cup of tea and the light glarin off your screen

9pm-3am ....at night, All the lights off, headphones on ...along with a nappy :P

But no DarkJager...youll know when ye play the demo..bout 5 mins in i think it is...i dunno WTF they are heheh. Its a combination of them, the lights, the sound and the tone the game sets...excellently done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Downloaded this last night and just fired it up there. Is anyone else having sound problems??

The sound works for the initial screens (Warner Brothers etc) but when the game menu screnn and game itself loads up, I have no sound whatsoever!!!! Peeing me off right now, cos I've a few hours to burn! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

SeantheMan wrote: »
    9pm-3am ....at night, All the lights off, headphones on ...along with a nappy :P

Headphones, MEH, even with the first F.E.A.R., 5.1 surround sound and a good soundcard are a MUST HAVE, You hear things crawling and moving behind You. The sounds are just amazing, scare the living shít outa You.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Headphones, MEH, even with the first F.E.A.R., 5.1 surround sound and a good soundcard are a MUST HAVE, You hear things crawling and moving behind You. The sounds are just amazing, scare the living shít outa You.

Maybe for those of us who live alone and have noone else in the house, Sure I can only play RockBand when everyone has gone out I make so much noise :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I just found out today that FEAR 2 will use SteamWorks, if you buy the game via retail you will have to register it on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm intrigued. What is so pant ****tingly scary about this corridor? :D
    It's the number of 'corridor-esque' moments is all :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well FEAR 1 creeped / scared the crap out of me (the office levels had me the most, specifically a "cubicle" moment :D) & had some very good shooting and AI.

Judging by this demo, both will remain the same; they continued the excellent high levels of tension & scares, and the FPS elements were very fluid with some top notch AI. So at the moment FEAR2 is a "likely purchase", bar anything 'orrible in the full game (though I did get sick and tired of the repetitive levels somewhat in the first game).

Scary, scary game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pixelburp wrote: »
    specifically a "cubicle" moment :D)
    That was definitly the scariest moment in the game. Really freaky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Argh still waiting for it to download via Xbox live marketplace,3 hours and only 60% through :(

Needless to say i have 3 wireless internet... :mad:

Hope its worth the wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

played the xbox demo just there.

Liked it but not wowed.

Took me a few minutes to get into the old Fear stride and being the first one I've tried on a console it naturally feels a bit stiffer then the pc original.

Though I remember the original allowing the player to do flying kicks wall flips and dives (though it could be a tricky memory) while this one doesnt, so the combat doesnt feel as much off the wall as the original.

Though its still good with the AI and the meaty weapons and satisfying scenery destruction.

The whole paranormal aspect is really overdone compared to the original, but my guess is the demo is like the one from the first game where its bits and pieces stuck from different levels.

But there are some good elements. Its nice that the paranormal is no longer just a lightshow and there will now be aspects where you seem to have to fight poltergiest etc (better then those *shades* from the first game) seriously had me tiptoeing through that section of the demo and trying to shoot the high speed ghost coming at me ducking and weaving.

My only serious complaint about the paranormal is that it doesnt have the same WTF? element when we know most of whats needed to know about Alma and everything is coming from her. I liked how in the original she was a rarity but seriously creepy and it was pattel who was haunting you and taunting you more throughout the game. I hope there is a similar element in this one, that there is a more creepy and powerful entity behind the one at you all the time.

Anyone else get a a slight tingle of Shogo (earlier monolith game) when they got in the mech (or at least AVP2)?

Overall I might pick it up for the pc more then anything else

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Though I remember the original allowing the player to do flying kicks wall flips and dives (though it could be a tricky memory)

I think it is slightly tricky, unless my game old game didnt have a wall flip and dive option :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yeah I don't remember wall flips or dives in the first game. Do remeber the jumping kick though, that was cool. One of the tips shown during the fear 2 demo about the melée controls did say combine it with running or jumping for special moves.

All in all fantastic demo. Love the familiar Fear slowmo shooting and the scares are brilliant. I am very iffy about the mech though. Just doesn't seem to fit. Hope there aren't long periods of mech use in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

L31mr0d wrote: »
    there was this one bit where I was walking into the train station I think and the lights where flickering and I heard something falling over in the distance behind me, so I turn around AND THE NAKED ADULT ALMA IS STANDING RIGHT THERE. I literally jumped right away from the screen shouting "OH HOLY SH*T!!!!"

Seriously, like Sean, I had to mentally keep reminding myself it was just a game.

Graphically though its not that impressive, kinda wish it lived up to its 5.9 Vista rating. I can run it at 1920x1200 with everything maxed. But still I don't think this game is selling itself on its graphics, more on the pants soiling tension :D
    spoiler tags

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really impressive demo, on the fright side of things anyway. I was almost too terrified to look behind me at some points, and going around corners I slowed to a crawl. Amount of shotgun pellets I emptied into some of the more sudden 'ghosts' :eek:

Great atmosphere, gunplay seems similar enough to the first (especially the shotgun, which thankfully retains some of its ridiculously powerful kick). Hope they don't dwell on the mech gameplay to much - might break the whole thing up a bit. And graphics feel a bit underwhelming - enemies in particular seemed way too shiny or something (on 360 anyway).

Looking promising though, and if they maintain the scares may well be picking this up. Hopefully they will solve the repetition issues of the first - damn generic industrial offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Played it last night (in the dark) on the 360.

I felt like the game was really trying to scare me, but totally failed. Which surprised me, cause horror games scare the crap outta me. I dunno, maybe it's just that all of this was done before in FEAR 1, so I was expecting it.

Graphics wise, they were nice (on 360 btw), but nothing mind blowing. What did impress me was the special effects, they were freaking awesome. Even more so as I am doing a games development course, and it's just amazing how they do it.

The weapons felt good (which some fps games actually fail to get right *ahem* Quake 4..), a nice selection of them too. The slow-mo was good as well, but at this stage it's nothing new or special.

All in all, i thought it was good. Disappointed a little, was expecting more (didn't even finish the demo) based on the comments here. I'm sure i'll get it when it comes out, just not straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Only played a small bit of it so far but its great, only thing thats bad is even though I've turned sensitivity down to the lowest its still EXTREMELY sensitive! And also can't bind anything to mouse 4 or 5! :( I'm sure the game will have these issued sorted!! ( I hope!)

Adam

edit// Just finished it...Loved it Loved it loved it... Cant wait for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dimgalad_PT

Just finished the demo... going to clean the scared poo on the chair... :Dthat flash in the theatre did it for me... DAMN YOU ALMA... oh wait... she allready is...!!!:D

All s***t aside its really great... can't wait for the full game... great playabillity, good (could be better) graphics, scary,scary visual and sound effects(the best i've listen to)... don't know about the mechs though... hope their not a big part of the game. or if they are hope they get better(slugish movement).

all in all a MUST buy...

FEAR ALMA AGAIN INDEED!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Played it and thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Nothing it it that blew me away.
    The first FEAR was so much better and this looks like it's just rehash of the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Played it and thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Nothing it it that blew me away.
    The first FEAR was so much better and this looks like it's just rehash of the first one.
    Funny, ordinarily I would agree that a lack of innovation was a fault; but I think that the makers have resisted tinkering with the formula that made FEAR 1 good, is worthy of praise. They have kept the scares, AI, good gunplay and so on. FEAR1 was nothing but a glorified corridor shooter in an officeblock anyway; just a really scary, polished one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I heard fear 2 is using steam as the drm method. Not sure though will i be able to from retail and it to my games list and be able to use the autopatching through steam ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Griffin87 wrote: »
    I heard fear 2 is using steam as the drm method. Not sure though will i be able to from retail and it to my games list and be able to use the autopatching through steam ?

Yes, if you bought Half-Life 2 or CSS on a disk, it should be the same principal.

Advertisement