Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side Saddle... For it??

Options
  • 22-01-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi everyone, i'm just wondering is anyone into riding side saddle. I'm been riding since i was knee high and i've my own pony for near 12years.. yes the same fella, i didn't get any taller and he just got bolder!:D We hunt every season, and he is as fit and healthy as any youngster on the field.

But i've recently thought about trying side saddle:rolleyes:, for the laugh and i'm wondering has anyone any opinions on throwing a side saddle on an 18year old connemara? Is it difficult to ride side saddle? I was thinking of renting one for the summer. But what kind of size saddles are there, he's a good size hunting cob of just under 14hands, a typical looking connemara.

If anyone has thoughts, opinions, tips and hints on riding side saddle.. greatly apprieciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont know much about side saddle, but I think theres an association. The IPS might be good to contact.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one still riding the same pony they had as a child (I have her 16 years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You could contact the side saddle association of ireland. They should be able to help you.

Their website is: http://www.ssaireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I've ridden side saddle a few times, albeit unintentionally ;)

I have great respect for people who are good at it. I have seen people hunt and jump big walls side saddle. Amazing!!

And no i don't hink the horse is to old.

Contact the IPS. They used to have classes for it as i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 **Mac**

Thanks Guys, I was going to contact the Side Saddle Ass. but i said i'd get some info first not to sound like a nut!! To fits.. Glad you still have the same pony, i sold him once when i started college.. lasted nearly a year and bought him back... i'l have him forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

**Mac** wrote: »
    To fits.. Glad you still have the same pony, i sold him once when i started college.. lasted nearly a year and bought him back... i'l have him forever!!

Ahh its great to have a partnership like that though. My mare is like an old friend (and showing very few signs of her age).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

**Mac** wrote: »
    Thanks Guys, I was going to contact the Side Saddle Ass. but i said i'd get some info first not to sound like a nut!!

Don't be at all worried about contacting the Side Saddle Assoc and not knowing anything....they'll be used to that, and should be more than happy to offer you all the advice you need.

I've ridden side-saddle since I was around 10...

In answer to your question about whether its difficult or not....well initially, yes it is...but once you 'get it' its dead easy...and offers the most secure seat you'll ever have. I used to hunt, show-jump and even went x-country in mine. If I'm riding a confirmed bucker, hell I'd much rather *be* side-saddle, because there's no way he's shifting me when I get my left leg tucked up under the head and my right leg locked in, I'm not going anywhere :D
    *But*....please get lessons from an experienced SS instructor before you go it on your own. If you're even slightly twisted or balanced wrong you could risk doing serious damage to your pony's back.

Fitting, again, get it fitted properly by someone with experience in fitting side saddles....IMHO it is just as important that it fits *you* properly too....more important than a conventional saddle in my opinion, where as long as it fits the pony properly, an inch short or long for you is neither here nor there...with a side saddle the seat (length and width) needs to fit you perfectly or you won't (can't) sit properly.

It'll take a while for your pony to adjust to using a whip or cane as a leg aid on the right-hand side, but again an experienced instructor will help you with this, and your pony should get used to this just fine. And also, you typically carry your hands much higher, but again, they usually adjust to this very well after a while.

Renting is a great idea. I know the SSA in the UK do a renting scheme, I assume the SSA in Ireland will have something similar set up. Side saddles aint cheap, and they are not everybody's cup of tea...so don't purchase until you're sure. As you're a novice I'd recommend that you go for a suede seat, and not a leather one....much more sticky bum security for you, and one less thing to worry about while you're learning your new positioning and balance.

Have fun!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

sorry to hi-jack, but would side saddle suit a slightly disabled rider(weakness in legs?)

Advertisement