Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked iPhone, loss of features?

• 22-01-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some info about using an unlocked iPhone (if it's not ok to post about these can someone let me know and I'll ask to get the thread removed).

I will be using it was O2 (haven't decided if it'll be pre or post pay just yet) but is there a lot of features I'll be missing out on by not having an "iPhone contract" e.g. push email, iTunes store, free data downloads, free wifi etc?

Thanks for any comments! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll miss out on the likes of free wifi for 12 months and the 1gb of data over EDGE/3g if you don't go for the iphone contract.

you'll also lose out on visual voice mail but i'm not even sure o2 ireland provide this yet or will ever do but sure who the feck uses voice mail these days?

unlocking your iphone will open you up to extra features rather than a loss as you'll have the app store to download from and also installer and cydia which come with unlocking the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nennec

Thanks creamy goodness!

I think that I they offer up to 1gb per day for 99c on speakeasy (to be honest every network seems to offer better offers to their prepay customers), but I stand to be corrected on that.

As far as I'm aware they don't offer visual voicemail at the moment anyway.

I guess my biggest fear is purchasing it then using iTunes on the PC or the music store and the phone being disabled by Apple/02.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

It's 99c for 50MB of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

nennec wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just looking for some info about using an unlocked iPhone (if it's not ok to post about these can someone let me know and I'll ask to get the thread removed).

I will be using it was O2 (haven't decided if it'll be pre or post pay just yet) but is there a lot of features I'll be missing out on by not having an "iPhone contract" e.g. push email, iTunes store, free data downloads, free wifi etc?

Thanks for any comments! :)

you wont lose out on push email without a contract but you will have to pay for the data allowance which is 99c a day to be able to use it
    the itunes store you pay for yourself seperate from your o2 contract or can still get the free apps
    the pre pay still gets free wifi with bitbuzz for 12 months
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/

as for the upgrades these are provided free by apple and you need your computer and an internet connection for them

Advertisement