Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running a Snooker Competition

• 22-01-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering does anyone know anything about running a Snooker Competition? It would be for about 120 people so i was thinking of starting off with groups of 4 or 5 so every member would get at least 3 or 4 games before they were knocked out, except for the one person that goes through to the knock out stages.

In the first round (the pool stage) there wont ever be a draw, or its very unlikely anyway so i was thinking of maybe one point for the loser and three points for the winner (that could be a bad idea as well, i dont know) and keep a table. Would that be the best way to go?

Can anyone give any advice on run it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I might be able to lend a hand, best thing to do is either divide into groups and each player plays another and top 2 go through or something to get to a last 32 and play it from there.. Or have a preliminary round to knock it down a bit. Where are you thinking of running it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Dave147 wrote: »
    Where are you thinking of running it?

Its going to be on in a local snooker hall. I have cleared it with the manager already. I just need to sort out the format and all that now. I just want to make sure that i'm covered for everything. If people dont turn up, if people have the same points, etc.

Can anyone help with this? Seriously of you had any advise at all i would welcome it. I just want to make sure i think of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

You'd need 128 people to have 32 groups of 4 (if that's how u want to play it) Maybe best of three's, round robin style (3 matches each in group stage) then the winner of each group goes into the last 32. If players are equal on points at top of group it goes down to who beat who when they faced each other.

How many tables have you got allocated? Snooker competitions take a hell of a lot longer than u might think to run. If u have 16 tables moving matches on and off smoothly one after the other you're probably lookin at 16 hours of play just for the above round robin stage. Then you'd have best of 3's from last 32-16-8 then 5 in semi, 5/7 in final or somethin.

With those kind of numbers, and trying to do it in a day, ur prob better off just doing straight 128 knockout draw best of 3 matches, with increases in frames as it gets later.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I cannot see you getting 128 players in Cork, really. Can you tell me where it's being held, or pm me? If it's on in Cork then I would probably have played in the hall many times before and could help you run it.

• Advertisement

consultech wrote: »
    You'd need 128 people to have 32 groups of 4 (if that's how u want to play it) Maybe best of three's, round robin style (3 matches each in group stage) then the winner of each group goes into the last 32. If players are equal on points at top of group it goes down to who beat who when they faced each other.

That is excellent and a great way of dealing with level points at the end.
    How many tables have you got allocated? Snooker competitions take a hell of a lot longer than u might think to run. If u have 16 tables moving matches on and off smoothly one after the other you're probably lookin at 16 hours of play just for the above round robin stage.

I have the option to run the first round over a two week period, so people can organise between themselves when to play it. Its their responsibilty to have the games played.

I will have a spread sheet and webpage to display the ongoing results, and the snooker hall i am talking to will help manage all of that data as well.
    Then you'd have best of 3's from last 32-16-8 then 5 in semi, 5/7 in final or somethin.

I was think along the lines of this ....

32 = 1 game
    16 = 1 game
    8 = 3 games
    4 = 3/5 games
    2 = 5/7 games

Then again, i haven't run this before so you are probably right.
    Hope this helps.

Definitely man
    Dave147 wrote: »
    I cannot see you getting 128 players in Cork, really. Can you tell me where it's being held, or pm me? If it's on in Cork then I would probably have played in the hall many times before and could help you run it.

Dave, i'll be honest man, i'm still talking to them about it. What i am looking for is the cheapest deal possible for the players during the competition (they have to split the cost of the table between themselves) which is currently €9.

Thing is, if you go further in the competition, you'll have to pay more which is a concern for me to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Loser pays the bill is the best method, therefore u only have to pay once in the competition.

In my experience also the whole "organise it yourself" thing is an absolute car-crash. Youll end up having to put a date on it and the second round will be 50-90% walkovers.

Play it over two weekends or something, have ur last 32 sorted after the first weekend.

consultech wrote: »
    Loser pays the bill is the best method, therefore u only have to pay once in the competition.

Thats perfect actually.
    In my experience also the whole "organise it yourself" thing is an absolute car-crash. Youll end up having to put a date on it and the second round will be 50-90% walkovers.

Play it over two weekends or something, have ur last 32 sorted after the first weekend.

Yeah, it really runs the risk of that alright. But to be honest, from my side of things i dont mind just as long as they have paid up. If they are a paid entrant into the competition then its in their interest to play the games. That was my thinking anyway. If they dont turn up then its a walkover.

Obviously its better if they do turn up and play. I can have a chat to the owner again during the week and have a look at the options.

Has anyone got a good name for the competition? Something like '147 Heaven' or 'Snooker Loopy' (i know they aren't great, just giving you the idea) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't think roundrobin works as there is no incentive to play your last game in a group if you can't qualify, which gives someone else a walkover which can be to the unfair disadvantage of another player who gets knocked out because he didn't get a walkover whilst someone else in the group did.

Maybe try a double elimination tournament, its the way a lot of pool tournaments are ran on the international circuit (its not completely dissimilar to the GAA backdoor system either).

It guarantees everyone 2 games, and also guarantees that no game is a 'dead-rubber' game for either participant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination

• Advertisement

Don't think roundrobin works as there is no incentive to play your last game in a group if you can't qualify, which gives someone else a walkover which can be to the unfair disadvantage of another player who gets knocked out because he didn't get a walkover whilst someone else in the group did.

Thats a good point, but i was thinking that all four in each group would meet up and play all their games in one evening, so even if the game was 'meaningless' it would still be played.
    Maybe try a double elimination tournament, its the way a lot of pool tournaments are ran on the international circuit (its not completely dissimilar to the GAA backdoor system either).

It guarantees everyone 2 games, and also guarantees that no game is a 'dead-rubber' game for either participant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination

That could add another element to it actually, good idea.

Advertisement