Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can u upgrade your ghz

Options
  • 22-01-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

hey guys i got a dell inspiron 6400 and i got 2gb of ram and so on but only 1.6ghz and i want to do alot of gaming on it but cant play most of my games so how can i update my ghz and how much would it cost to get bout 3ghz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hey guys i got a dell inspiron 6400 and i got 2gb of ram and so on but only 1.6ghz and i want to do alot of gaming on it but cant play most of my games so how can i update my ghz and how much would it cost to get bout 3ghz

that's a laptop isn't it? then the only real possibility is to buy a new computer with a better processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

You could replace the CPU that's in the laptop you bought for something like:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/636901/art/intel/core-2-duo-t7500-2-2-ghz.html

This will raise your processor speed - GHz.

Your graphics setup will be your next hurdle which more than likely will be non-upgradeable.

What sort of games do you want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

like call of duty 5 and flight simulators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You could replace the CPU that's in the laptop you bought for something like:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/636901/art/intel/core-2-duo-t7500-2-2-ghz.html

This will raise your processor speed - GHz.

Your graphics setup will be your next hurdle which more than likely will be non-upgradeable.

What sort of games do you want to play?

this really isn't advisable unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

secondly, don't Dell solder the thing in or am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

like call of duty 5 and flight simulators

MOAR GIGAHURTZ is not going to fix your issue.

Your issue is that you are trying to play modern,graphically intensive games on a low power laptop that is not meant for gaming.

The biggest issue you have is that you inbuilt graphics card is no doubt utter utter pants for playing games on.

Choices:

1) Buy a new laptop with a better gfx card.
    (no you cannot upgrade laptop gfx cards as a general rule like a desktop:such is life.)

2) Buy/build a cheap gaming PC and play games they way they were meant to be played. (much much cheaper than a gaming laptop)

3) Give up on PC gaming and buy an xbox360 or a PS3.

As a rule laptop are utter pants for modern games unless you spend an obscene amount of money and accept running games at lower details settings than a good gaming PC that cost half the price.

Plus in a year/year and a half when your laptop starts dragging its ass in games all you can do is lower the graphic details, with a PC you upgrade the gfx card etc... and rock on for another year or so of high end gaming.

In short get a good gaming pc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

this really isn't advisable unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

secondly, don't Dell solder the thing in or am i wrong?

Nope, they are no longer allowed to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

i got a xbox 360 and xbox live i just like being able to play games when im in a car for a long trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

i got a xbox 360 and xbox live i just like being able to play games when im in a car for a long trip

this for around a grand is not bad value at all:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=420117

Bear in mind all battery life on gaming laptops are shoite, so would also need an in car charger for it if you are going to play modern games on a laptop.

Also heat with these can be an issue so I would def pick up a laptop tray cooler to sit between the laptop and your lap i you are playing in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

This is a laptop.. its a 6400.. not ancient..

so I think..

the 1.6 is either a core2duo..

or

a 1.6 centrino single core which is equal to almost 3 ghz equivalent in a desktop

just a guess, if so its not a bad laptop, but laptops are bad for gaming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've upgraded the processor in a Dell Inspiron 6400- I got a T2400 (1.83Ghz core 2 duo) on adverts.ie from someone who fried their laptop for EUR20. Its a lot of trouble opening up the laptop, disassembling things, unscrewing the heatsink and changing out the processor. On the plus side- there are no torque screws etc involved- on the negative side- if you've never opened up a laptop before- don't even consider doing it.......

At the end of the day most of the 6400s are using the onboard Intel graphics- which is a far more limiting factor for playing games, than the processor itself. If you do not have a discrete graphics card in the laptop- don't bother going down the changing the processor road at all.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It must be nice to be a kid these days. We had to count sheep in my day. Woe is you with your measly laptop dude. My heart bleeds.*

*May not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

More urgently, how the feck would anyone play Call of Duty World at War, on a laptop, in a moving car....that'd be like trying to play it on your PC with your fingers sellotaped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

More urgently, how the feck would anyone play Call of Duty World at War, on a laptop, in a moving car....that'd be like trying to play it on your PC with your fingers sellotaped together.
    Why would anywone want to play world at war in the first place? It's nothing but an attempt to squeeze a few more dollars out of COD4's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Friend with laptop: My laptop can't play crysis. How do I make it go faster.
    Me: You can't it's a laptop.
    (Friend goes away dejected.)

Next day...

FWL: I read on the interweb I can upgrade my computer to make it go faster.
    Me: Not really. You could upgrade the processor, but I wouldn't recommend it. You could maybe add a stick of ram.
    FWL: Will that make it go faster?
    ME: Ah.... no, it'll make **** all difference tbh.

Next day...

FWL: I read I can upgrade my graphics card to make my laptop play new games.
    Me: No you can't, it's a laptop, it won't work. Just play games on your PS3 okay?

Next day...

FWL: I read about overclocking on the interweb how do I do that.
    Me: You can't, it'll just melt your laptop. Sigh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would only be possible if you bought a new laptop motherboard from somewhere like Ebay and replaced it yourself (as the mobo with integrated is different then the one with dedicated graphics), and then got a card to put into it - expensive, would still be very poor performance wise (though capable of playing most recent-ish games, and much faster then your current video card, not really capable of playing COD5 or anything new however), and has a high risk unless you know what you're doing. Plus you'd need a new power adapter as well. Worth all that hassle? I doubt it. If you really need to play games, sell your current laptop and with some extra money you'd get a laptop capable of playing the latest games at playable levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Better yet, start reading books.

Advertisement