Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID requirements for opening a bank acct

Options
  • 22-01-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Just noticing that today, I see a number of banks that require a P60 or other document from the revenue.
    In addition to the obvious ones: passport, utility bill.
    Actually some now require 2 items to prove address, so it's a utility bill and some other bank statement.

But, what's with requiring the P60?
    Ya can't open a bank account without being on the dole or working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

They need proof of PPSN - At some point they have to make returns to the revenue of DIRT deducted. The Revenue no doubt will compare deposit interest earned with declared income, not from the point of view of undeclared deposit interest (you are supposed to declare it anyway, although no further tax is due), but from the point of view on undeclared capital gains or other income used to generate the deposit interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just looked at my bank Permenent TSB, the P 60 is only for those who want a line of credit. In which case I understand the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Excatly as homer said. Its only for accounts that are subject to DIRT. For savings, and some current accounts. The just need proof of PPS number to prove your an Irish resident and a tax payer.

Advertisement