Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your toughts on this lens please...

• 22-01-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

ive come across this lens --Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 Apo DG HSM. its £439 on this website.http://www.ukcamera.com/ffordes/usednikon.htm i need a lens that will suit sport etc but cant stretch the budget to far??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

conair01 wrote: »
    ive come across this lens --Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 Apo DG HSM. its £439 on this website.http://www.ukcamera.com/ffordes/usednikon.htm i need a lens that will suit sport etc but cant stretch the budget to far??

In short for sport No.

We could enter a debate again but at f6.3 you'd be stretching it on anything other than days with quality light.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

i was thinking at 300 would the lens not have f4.5 or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

conair01 wrote: »
    i was thinking at 300 would the lens not have f4.5 or so?

This is from a review on testfreaks.com

The Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Lens is decently sharp wide open in the center at 50mm through 200mm but degrades rapidly to soft at 300mm and beyond. Corners are not as sharp as centers (not unusual), but are not bad wide open until the longer focal lengths. 200mm seems to be a sweet spot for this lens. Stopping down 1 and especially 2 stops makes a big difference in the results.

However, stopping down an already slow lens with no image stabilization means you need a lot of light or high ISO settings to stop subject motion. To handhold this lens at the longer focal lengths, you need a lot of light, high ISO settings or a support such as a tripod - and a relatively still subject. The Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Lens' 9-blade aperture gets narrow fast - going from f/4 @ 50mm to f/4.5 at 57mm to f/5.0 at 72mm to f/5.6 at 116mm to f/6.3 at 417mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Having used this for sports it's woeful.

However! If you're into wildlife it's pretty good. Great upto about 450mm then all of a sudden it gets extremely soft. Very very heavy lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have used this lens for Polo and had lots of shots published, I certainly wouldnt put it off the list. Its a very versatile lens with a great range, with camera bodies they way they are people can shoot more comfortably at higher iso's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement