Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Identifying a Spider

Options
  • 22-01-2009 7:25pm

200901220002.jpg

That fell was in my house earlier. The photo shows the red as being darker than it was in reality. It was more of a brighter blood red.

Never saw one before if its Irish. Also I have a book "complete Irish wildlife" which has all Irish spiders with photos in it and I cant find it there.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Roughly what size is it? Looks interesting, I'll have a look in my books when I get home.

1.5 inches maybe at a guess

could it be some irish spider that recently shed its skin ? and thats why it was so bright and colourful?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Afraid I can't find it in any books. Possibly a cellar spider. Or maybe an alien species?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

It could be an import from somewhere else.
    we had a import from a plant it was a form of a beetle you wouldnt find here.
    There was billons of them infected a whole row of houses coming thru the doors.
    It looks like a wolf spider kind of

Thanks, I looked up as many European and Irish spider species that I could find. Not able to identify it. We did just get some new bananas, chillies, grapes and lemons - possibly came off them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Thanks, I looked up as many European and Irish spider species that I could find. Not able to identify it. We did just get some new bananas, chillies, grapes and lemons - possibly came off them

Its very possible.
    You could go to a spider website were they have spider experts on them,and not joking i am sure they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Looks very like Steatoda grossa. Also called Cupboard spider or False Black Widow (presumably in countries which have Black Widows).

yeah that one looks like it allright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

sesswhat wrote: »
    Looks very like Steatoda grossa. Also called Cupboard spider or False Black Widow (presumably in countries which have Black Widows).

I have found quite a few of them over the past few years. Builds a horizontal sheet web (one I found covering a lawnmower box was about 30cmx30cm.

They can give you a nasty bite.

Other variations;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatoda_nobilis
    http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2007/may/news_11767.html

Advertisement