Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

quick question about the new car tax system

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

guys

I have a really quick question about the new car tax system.

I have a 1999 car and it is taxed under the old system and I pay 550 a year
    under the new system with the emmissions I would pay 1000 a year

if i was to import a 2003 version of my car, would I still be taxed under the old system and continue to pay 550 or because it's only registered this year, be subject to the new tax system and pay 1000?

any ideas....I'm getting different stories from different people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Will stay on the old tax rate only cars inported with a 08 reg the changes take effect..

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

homer90 wrote: »
    Will stay on the old tax rate only cars inported with a 08 reg the changes take effect..

thats what I thought, I have to replace my car and some serious bargins in the UK and the North but the thought of having to pay double my current road tax was killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The amount of VRT you will have to pay will be based on the new emmisions based system.

The amount of Motor Tax that you pay will based on the previous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I think it's the VRT you pay at the new rates (i.e. based on CO2 not engine CC), irrespective of the age of the car; that may be the source of the confusion

Advertisement