Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet access very unpredictable

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

This might be a common problem but I'm not clear on what is causing me this grief so I thought I'd ask a few more learned folks.

Basically a couple of weeks ago I found that I was getting a 'limited or no connectivity' message despite my Eircom wireless device being on and occasional messages telling me that I was connected. After doing a bit of investigating I discovered that my computer was on occasion assigning me an address beginning with 169.254.x.x rather than a 192 etc. address which I usually get.

I discovered via a Google search that if I go to 'View Available Wireless Networks' I can put in my WEP key and get net access that way. This has tended to work but tonight unfortunately I found myself knocked off the net and automatically assigned the 169 address again. It wasn't able to renew my IP address after several efforts and couldn't find the 192 address which wasn't in range apparently. I decided to knock off my wireless device downstairs and give it a half an hour. Having done that I was then able to get back online when I switched it back on. Thus here I am. :cool:

I hope this has made sense so far. I'm just curious to know what your thoughts are on what might be causing this issue. I've heard all kinds of theories as it seems to be a fairly common problem. I've thought about contacting Eircom but I'm not sure if they've anything to do with it from what I've read.

Could it be some sort of interference with the signal perhaps? Could my wireless broadband device be ready for the scrapheap? Do I need to reboot or reinstall anything? I'd appreciate any advice or opinions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The 169 address is usually an indication that the pc or laptop is not being given a proper address by the wireless router for some reason.

As you rightly state this is not a matter for your isp they are supplying your bb signal satisfactorily.

You say this problem only started in the last few weeks - did any wireless device appear in your household in recent times? TV sender etc etc?

You could as a first step try changing the wireless channel that the router is broadcasting on. access the router usually http://192.168.1.254 and have a look for the wireless settings - while in there you could change the security to wpa more secure than wep which is easily broken. Dont forget to save your settings when you are exiting.

You could also download netstumbler which should show you if there are any neighbours networks using the same channel as yourself.

Have you installed any firewall or anything similar recently on the pc?

You could also try updating the wireless card driver if you havent done so in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thanks dub. Funnily enough there is a new TV in the household since a number of weeks ago so there might be some sort of connection there.

I'll take the steps you advised. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pinksnack

Further on netstumbler:

If possible, you should take a wireless client to the perimeter of your property e.g. outside into front/back gardens or balcony/entrance hall, down side of house, into garage....inside beside windows to see channels that may be causing interference at your client location, but otherwise "invisible".

Then, (for 11b/g), NB the channels are 20MHz wide, but are spaced with centres 5MHz apart :eek:. So don't just pick a different channel, pick one that overlaps as little as possible.
    E.g. chs 1,5,9,13 don't overlap (in ETSI-land/europe).

If you can't find a gap for your channel, it might be possible to agree a mutually-beneficial non-overlapping use of channels with your neighbours, (and furthermore a mutually beneficial placement of routers which you're going to need when you move to 2.4GHz 40MHz-wide 11n anyway.)

wireshark is worth a look too. http://www.wireshark.org/

Just to follow up on this, I had a word with my father who told me that NTL were around a few weeks back to 'upgrade' and apparently did something with our TV cable. A letter was sent to households saying they would have to re-tune some TV channels. Nothing about net access though.

Is it possible that these changes could have in some way affected my wireless router?

Also, having used Netstumbler it found two access points. Is this bad? Is it a sign a neighbour's signal could be interfering?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just to follow up on this, I had a word with my father who told me that NTL were around a few weeks back to 'upgrade' and apparently did something with our TV cable. A letter was sent to households saying they would have to re-tune some TV channels. Nothing about net access though.

Is it possible that these changes could have in some way affected my wireless router?

No
    Also, having used Netstumbler it found two access points. Is this bad? Is it a sign a neighbour's signal could be interfering?

Are they using the same channel as yourself?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Are they using the same channel as yourself?

I don't believe so. At least not at the minute. It says 1 AP active.

My net access hasn't had problems tonight. Some days it does work without a hitch but other times it goes a bit mental.

Advertisement