Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear to the Ground

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

just watching ear to the ground .. next week there is a piece on gun crime ,new laws and how its impacting gun clubs, shooting folk might be worth a look .7 pm thursday rte one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Just seen the end of Ear to the Ground on RTE one, next week they will be doing bit on gun clubs and the negative reaction that they are getting. Might be worth a watch, so its next thursday at 1900 hrs on RTE one.

jwshooter wrote: »
    just watching ear to the ground .. next week there is a piece on gun crime ,new laws and how its impacting gun clubs, shooting folk might be worth a look .7 pm thursday rte one

Jayzus jwshooter you bet me to it by a minute :D Good minds thing the same ...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I believe they filmed at Fermoy range a couple of weeks ago. It was either Ear to the Ground or Nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

So long as this doesnt turn into another Prime Time debacle.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Bump : just to remind everyone its on tomorrow evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I believe they filmed at Fermoy range a couple of weeks ago. It was either Ear to the Ground or Nationwide.

They did indeed film at the range in Fermoy and it will feature in tomorrow nights Ear to the Ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

try some ice on it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Anyone get a bit narked off at the journalist bloke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Too many mentions of the W word, but not bad I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

weapon and glock in the one breath :eek:,who was the guy calling our firearms weapons .but it came across well fair play to the guys in fermoy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

A hugely positive portrayal of sporting shooters. Brilliant!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much to the shooters/clubs involved for giving up your time to try to safeguard our sport. More of it I say, bravo!!:):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Recorded this last night and only just watched it this morning. Interesting how the reporter mentioned that most stolen guns are shotguns yet the government are all about banning handguns.

I also noted that the farmer interviewed not only had a gun safe but it was alarmed as well (contact on the safe door).

All those interviewed well articulate and well informed with convincing arguments as to why those law abiding guns owners shouldn't suffer due to the actions of criminals. DOJ take note!!!

K

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I watched it and found it a lot more even than the Prime Time garbage anyway.

Some of it was cringe worthy but I didn't feel hard done by watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

anyone got a link for it, just missed it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Good show! some truth at last!!!

thank god for it... it might even help to restore some faith in humanity for this poor sod!

Apart from "De Paper" journalists comments,a very good and balanced report.....For once! .Good music choice too!:D[ZZ Top Gun love].

I also spotted one of our august company of posters here in one of the range scenes .;):)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Overall it was positive. Fair play to the guys in the Fermoy Gun Club.

Did you notice that when the recovered firearms were being shown the camera zoomed in on blank cartridges?
    I also noted that the farmer interviewed not only had a gun safe but it was alarmed as well (contact on the safe door).

Yeah, a pity the contact was fitted to the outside!! By holding a magnet to it the door can be opened undetected by the alarm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Thanks for sharing - your some eejit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ease off there a hair's breadth B'man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Thanks for sharing
    No problem. Aren't you better off knowing now? The solution is simple, move the contact to the inside of the safe.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Not having a go fishdog but you could keep that information to yourself instead of putting it on a public forum. You never know who is reading the info it could be the answer to some gobsh!tes problems if he happened to break into any of our houses looking for firearms.

Isnt it better to knowthat there is a fault,and to tell everyone about it?So anyone who has a contact outside their safe,should now go away and remedy it??And criminals who know this one already ,will now know we have been alerted and are taking steps to remedy the situation??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

First of all well done to the Fermoy gang again!

I have to say, was it necessary for the farmers security setup to be shown at all?
    The less the crims know the better!
    Whatever about it having an alarm, how come it wasnt concealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Not having a go fishdog but you could keep that information to yourself instead of putting it on a public forum. You never know who is reading the info it could be the answer to some gobsh!tes problems if he happened to break into any of our houses looking for firearms.

Would you rather leave people in the dark??? Is it not better to educate improved security methods? Repair the cracks and save the dam. Thinking that the crims don't know these things is quite naive, have you ever met one that did'nt have a trick for every situation or could'nt recite the law chapter and verse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Would you rather leave people in the dark??? Is it not better to educate improved security methods? Repair the cracks and save the dam. Thinking that the crims don't know these things is quite naive, have you ever met one that did'nt have a trick for every situation or could'nt recite the law chapter and verse.

Hi Hezz, yes it is better to educate improved security methods but maybe not on a public forum?

Assuming that the crims are experts on security and firearms storage is no excuse for educating them further.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

:) Guys, you're having a discussion which has been ongoing in computer security for several years and in other security fields for longer again (more than a hundred years). Stick "full disclosure" and "security through obscurity" into Google if you want to see some of the current debate on the topic.

I watched Ear to the Ground today, I was impressed. Well done to all involved for making such a good impression. Nice to see some familiar faces there too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

tis on repeat now in 5 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

fishdog wrote: »
    Overall it was positive. Fair play to the guys in the Fermoy Gun Club.

Did you notice that when the recovered firearms were being shown the camera zoomed in on blank cartridges?

Yeah, a pity the contact was fitted to the outside!! By holding a magnet to it the door can be opened undetected by the alarm!

Thats why he fitted a Grade 3 Contact on the outside of the door:

When the detector is mounted in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and is subject to the presence of an external magnetic field generated by the interference of an external magnet and applied to the faces of the detector, the detector shall either:
    A) Be immune to any influence by the interference of the magnet and continue to operate normally.
    B) Generate an intrusion, and/or tamper, and/or fault, and/or other independent signal or message in accordance with the standard when the make or break distances exceed twice those specified.

:D:D:D

Advertisement