Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Bank Of Scotland Ireland move to Halifax?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I took out my mortgage through a broker with Bank Of Scotland Ireland and when my fixed term ends can i easily switch over to Halifax as their variable rates are cheaper, i.e. no longer deal with them through a broker but deal directly?

Any info or thought would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The fact that you went through a broker last time doesn't mean you have to do so again.
    Have you looked at AIB too - their rates are also good. Halifax will pay towards legal fees for mortgage switchers. I think AIB do sometimes (more likely if you don't use a broker) . I have heard of people getting 1200 towards legal fees when they moved to AIB. How long on the fixed rate left and what is the rate?
    Have you asked BOS what penalty you would have to pay to end the fixed rate early ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

short answer is certainly yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Can easily be done by ringing BOSI or Halifax. Ring BOSI and they may just match the rates to save the hassle as there the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

heymcflyx wrote: »
    Can easily be done by ringing BOSI or Halifax. Ring BOSI and they may just match the rates to save the hassle as there the same company.
    Thanks all,
    just one final thing, am i to assume that legal fees would not be needed as Halifax and Bank Of Scotland Ireland are part of the same parent group? Or would it be as if switching mortgage providers with the associated costs etc.?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I am in a similar position. I got a mortgage with BOSi standard variable. the halifax rate is nearly 1% cheeper. this is alot and i feel a bit of a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

There wasnt but at the time I was there, Halifax paid the fees. So I cant be 100% sure. I dont think there will be. A lot of the time I was there people came in and said they are with BOSI but Halifax are cheaper. Put them on the phone and it was sorted for them. Ring BOSI first,

Advertisement