Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish internationals tv coverage in Australia (soccer)

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Howyis.

Asked this as a sub question in another thread but anyway. Is there always at least one channel available in Australia that always without fail shows Irish World Cup qualifiers live? I know the Ireland-Poland friendly was shown when I was on holiday and this wouldnt exactly be a high demand game, is there always coverage broadcast in the main Irish or sports bars?

Also, what about in more rural areas? To qualify for the 2nd year, and to escape the Sydney winter, I will unfortunately have to head to the likes of Cairns or Darwin (Ive no interest in anywhere bar Sydney really except for a week long or weekend long trip, cant imagine any reason to take me to the likes of Perth or Adelaide at all tbh). Is there usually spots up in those areas showing the football?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Don't know if the tv schedule is available yet but Setanta usually show the Ireland matches out here. They show England matches as well so if the times of Ireland and England matches clash I'm not sure what the situation is!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

hmm, this was pre-Setanta as we know it days but when I was in Brisbane '03-'04 I had to pay in to the local PJ O'Brien's pub to see the Ireland qualifiers $5 or $10 I think it was. BAck then it was the RTE covergae beamed via the old Setanta pub channel I think

And at that stage we had the local Fox sports package (equivalent of Sky Sports) but I don't remember there ever being an Ireland game on that package.

PS: try to check out Melbourne/Brisbane/places outside Sydney - well worth it. or even Alice

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

England got preference the last time.

Apart from Setanta there's no other way to see them live on tv. Streaming is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Thanks lads.

Do any pubs ever bother hooking up the tv to the RTE internet stream so?

As for travelling Ergo, meh, as said the odd week or weekend away but Im not really big on packing up and hauling luggage the whole time :) Somewhere sunny is all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

not to hijack the thread but i have a similar Q ??

in sydney, is there a pub that shows live premiership soccer "with sound" , there are lots of places that show it with "no" sound , the sports bar on kings cross is handy but no sound ???

if someone can lead me the right way i promise i will buy the round !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

shane86 wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

Do any pubs ever bother hooking up the tv to the RTE internet stream so?

As for travelling Ergo, meh, as said the odd week or weekend away but Im not really big on packing up and hauling luggage the whole time :) Somewhere sunny is all I need.

RTE Stream is only available in Ireland.

daftdave wrote: »
    not to hijack the thread but i have a similar Q ??

in sydney, is there a pub that shows live premiership soccer "with sound" , there are lots of places that show it with "no" sound , the sports bar on kings cross is handy but no sound ???

if someone can lead me the right way i promise i will buy the round !!!!!

I watched the last Manc derby in the KC Sports Bar and it had sound. Maybe there was just signal problems the day you saw it?

I watched the last Manc derby in the KC Sports Bar and it had sound. Maybe there was just signal problems the day you saw it?

ive been in there for a couple of games , still to have sound on any of em , id give a limb to watch a game like i can in ireland !!!!

thanks for the help lads , anyone help id really appreciate it !

I think Scruffy Murphys shows EPL, and with sound I would assume. Have you asked the staff in the sports bar re the sound? (just to check we are on about the same place, the one on the street in KC that the McDonalds is on, but nearer the neon coke sign, correct?). All I know is it was deffo on for the Manc derby. The last Ricky Hatton fight was broadcast with full sound and all (only events I watched in Sports Bar).

I think Scruffy Murphys shows EPL, and with sound I would assume. Have you asked the staff in the sports bar re the sound? (just to check we are on about the same place, the one on the street in KC that the McDonalds is on, but nearer the neon coke sign, correct?). All I know is it was deffo on for the Manc derby. The last Ricky Hatton fight was broadcast with full sound and all (only events I watched in Sports Bar).

yeah same place man, i will be in there tonight so i must say it to em when im gettin a beer , must check out scruffy murphys also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

where in melbourne will the games be shown im thinkin the celtic club would be the only pub showing it. crown is 24 hour and has foxtel but i doubt they gonna show ireland georgia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

daftdave wrote: »
    yeah same place man, i will be in there tonight so i must say it to em when im gettin a beer , must check out scruffy murphys also.

KC Sports Bar had commentary for both soccer games last nite.

watched a game down in cheers on george street the other night , they had 4 different premier league games on at the same time , handy for the 3pm uk games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

The Ireland Georgia game is on ESPN in the morning at 6:45 Sydney time.

nice 1 , i was gonna get up and watch it on the net as i thought it was not on the box , cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

its my birthday today so im gonna go home early from work, get a crate of beer, pass out early, get loads of sleep then get up at 5am to watch ESPN. ooh ye!

will i actually make it....only time will tell! :p

Advertisement