Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of War II

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Dawn of War was one of my favourite rts. So as you can imagine, I've been looking forward to this for some time.

The multiplayer open beta just started, and from what I hear it's quite different from what the Single Player campaign has shaped up to be.

Just played a round of it there. Quite nice. The Tyranids are fun to play. Though I inadvertently let my Hive Tyrant get mobbed and killed when I stepped away for a moment.

Its quite like Company of Heroes, there's still a tiny bit of base building, but it's almost gone. Also, I couldn't figure out how to reinforce squads.

Everyone has a one base building and two turrets. You can level up your base to get access to more powerful units such as a Lictor and a Carnifex. Both teams start with 500 Points, and there are three critical locations, when a critical location is taken, the opposing team begins to lose points, slowly at first, but faster if you take two critical locations. When the opponents points hit zero, the game is won. There are also strategic points which grant income, and power generators which can be upgraded.

Like Warcraft 3, and Demigod I guess, the commander is the most important character. He can take multiple wargear upgrades and as the game progresses, gets access to special abilities. When he is wounded, he will lie about until he respawns, or if you can't afford to wait, you can pay requisition points to refield him immediately.

It'll take a few more plays before I completely get the grasp of it, though I feel that those who are good a micro will find this a bit easier than me, as the game progresses, you'll have more and more to keep track of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Quite tactical im looking forward to the single player co-op mind you its a bit to easy to lock down the smaller maps with a single heavy bolter squad but i guess thats why the god emperor invented jump packs.

On a side note what the hells up with steam price for this game? 50 euro! you can get it sent to you from play.com with a dvd/box/Exclusive wargear for 32 euro whats valve smokeing these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just dont know if I want to buy Soulstorm to play the Beta :p

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

If you wait about 5 days you won't need soulstorm.

Having said that, Soulstorm is only 5 euro on Steam, and stand alone. Pretty decent value.

I've very pleased to see how good this game runs on my computer. It looks very nice and runs fast.

Regarding reinforcing squads, each squad starts at max capacity. You can re stock a squad with men when they start do die, but you need to be beside your home base as far as I can tell.

I've yet to get my hands on my beloved terminator squads, looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

You can reinforce the marine squads with a razorback out in the field or if your a techmarine commander you can build a teleporter forward base think the eldar use the falcon and orks the wartruck not sure what the tyranid use

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just watched the trailer there on the website, looks great. DELIGHTED to see the 'nids, but what about the Squats? :p

I'll definitely be picking this bad-boy up when the appointed time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I played dawn of war and to be honest it just wasnt that tactical enough for me to fall in love with.But this looks far more tactical from the videos i've watched so i'll be getting it :D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it true relic are'nt releasing any modtools for this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Thread for this in the RTS section i think

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Gonna derail the thread now by attracting your attention to this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055469271

Just wanna compile a list of Irish DOW II beta players so we can find each other online.

Cheers.

Advertisement