Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbe lager question could frementation be finished after 6 days

• 22-01-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I need some expert opinion. I have read lots of posts but cannot seem to answer my question. I am making my first batch ever of homebrew lager from a Coopers kit. I have followed the instructions with the kit and did everything properly, I think.

Fermentation started within a few hours and within a two days I had bubbles every 15 sec. Then after 6 days fermentation seems to have stopped.

I have it in the hotpress and the temperature is 24 degrees.

Question: Could it be finished fermenting? I have no hydrometer - next purchase I suppose.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dom
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Could be finished alright, that is quite a high temp. Brewing beer/wine creates its own heat. I used to aerate and keep warm at the start to get it off to a flying start, then i would wrap with loads of towels, the heat generated is then kept in. High temp brews can lead to off flavours and nasty stuff being produced. In fact some home brewers have to add frozen 2litre bottles of water to cool down rapidly fermenting big batch brews.

If it is finished it will be dry, i.e. not sweet. Just get a big spoon and take out a bit into a glass and drink it. I had a hydrometer but rarely used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eirebased

Thanks rubadub, I will crack the brew open and test tomorrow evening and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eirebased

Just had some of my 7 day beer. It does taste dry, so I guess the fermentation is over. looks like one of those cloudy German beers. It smells fine too. I am siphoning it into my Keg. It is one of those ones with a tap at the bottom and a place for gas at the top. I am going to put it away for three weeks now in a room (around 17 degrees). I added a small amount of sugar at this stage. one cup of sugar dissolved in water. Hope this all works out.

Advertisement