Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching from Sky to UPC

• 22-01-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi
    I am getting rid of Sky (they annoyed me) and am having UPC installed on Saturday. Can anyone tell me if my UPC box will work through the Sky connection?
    The reason I am asking is if it will work through the existing connection (in thr sitting room), when UPC come to install the new box I could ask them to install it in the bedroom. That way I can switch the box from room to room and it shouldnt count as multi room because I only actually got them to install one connection.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

UPC and Sky are very different....If you have satellite it's more than likely you have your own dish with cables running to your sitting room. If you are getting UPC then you are effectively changing from satellite to cable (and if they are installing MMDS they may need to put a mesh dish on your chimbley). If your question is related to cabling, then the real question is where does the old Sky cabling start and where does the new UPC cable start? If they don't join up, then you won't get what you really want! You could use the coax cables but only if they start and finish in the right places.

For the multi room thing, I use a digi-sender instead...you'll find it here in maplins... it just means I don;t have to move around the box (so it's not a bad alternative if you can;t get the TV point installed into the bedroom). You don't have to move the box around, just the remote!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

DONT DO IT....NTL/UPC SERVICE IS TERRIBLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jaysoose wrote: »
    DONT DO IT....NTL/UPC SERVICE IS TERRIBLE

+1 times a million there anyway!!! stick with sky!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭barrera

smellyanus wrote: »
    Hi
    I am getting rid of Sky (they annoyed me)

OMFG - wait til you get a load of UPC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

You are about to make a big mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

OMG - This is a first for me to hear about, Have you taken leave of your senses, no one switches from Sky to UPC-Chorus/NTL. Totally different service and the history of problems with Chrorus/NTL are off the charts.
    If you have really had issues with Sky it must be related to their overseas call centres, when you ring ask to be put through to the Cork call centre and hopefully you will get through to a normal person who can sort out any issues. All other Sky issues are either dish or box related which can easily be fixed and thats it really.

Good luck with UPC-Chorus-NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭smellyanus

Ha ha I haven't looked in here in a while so I hadn't seen any of your replies. I have switched anyway and so far so good.
    What annoyed me about Sky was their offer giving Sky+ boxes to new customers for €24 but charging someone like me (paying them around €900 a year in bills) €150. Surprise surprise when I told them I was cancelling my subscription because of that they offered me the box for €24, but I am quite stubborn so told them I wasn't bothered.
    Regarding the first reply I got, how reliable/good are those digi-senders?
    This evening I was trying one I got of my bro in law (he couldn't get it to work) and no luck. It didn't seem to be picking up anything at all - by this I mean NOTHING, not even a weak signal or anything.
    It is a "T'nB Video Transmitter", are these poo or are they completely the wrong thing?
    Thanks for previous and future replies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

smellyanus wrote: »
    Ha ha I haven't looked in here in a while so I hadn't seen any of your replies. I have switched anyway and so far so good.
    What annoyed me about Sky was their offer giving Sky+ boxes to new customers for €24 but charging someone like me (paying them around €900 a year in bills) €150. Surprise surprise when I told them I was cancelling my subscription because of that they offered me the box for €24, but I am quite stubborn so told them I wasn't bothered.
    Regarding the first reply I got, how reliable/good are those digi-senders?
    This evening I was trying one I got of my bro in law (he couldn't get it to work) and no luck. It didn't seem to be picking up anything at all - by this I mean NOTHING, not even a weak signal or anything.
    It is a "T'nB Video Transmitter", are these poo or are they completely the wrong thing?
    Thanks for previous and future replies!!

UPC have no idea what they are doing but for me their Phone Broadband DVR multi room package is ace.

Sky have the better TV product but they treat people like crap and it's no accident.

I will never go back to Sky I am not given my oath to UPC either but wherever I go Sky are bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Ranicand wrote: »
    UPC have no idea what they are doing but for me their Phone Broadband DVR multi room package is ace.

Sky have the better TV product but they treat people like crap and it's no accident.

I will never go back to Sky I am not given my oath to UPC either but wherever I go Sky are bastards.

You would think that the sun shines out of Skys backside the way some people go on! They can be problematic too. Once you have subscribed to them then they just don't care.

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    I know this thread is old but didn't want to open a new one. Anyway I too am thinking I might switch from eircom phone and bb and sky tv to upc's deal (fibre ultimate). At the moment we pay for eircom broadband, eircom house phone (which we never really use), and sky tv (6 mix sports and movies) and setanta and espn. The reason I want to switch is because I just can't afford all these anymore. So for €95 a month i can get the tv plus setanta and espn, the unlimited braodband, and the house phone. Plus for €10 i can add on movies, and €15 for the Upgrade to Multi Room Viewing & Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb. For a total of €110 it seems like a deal to me.

However, I already have serious concerns about UPC, their customer service. I spent 15 minutes trying to phone them 2 days ago and cannot get through to them on the phone. I have requested a call back two days ago and still waiting. Other than installation I have never needed to ring sky, I supposed it would be wishful thinking to expect the same from UPC?

If anyone has any information on the following i'd appreciate it;

We connect 3 wireless devices to our eircom broadband, I want to know if upc can hold 3 wireless connections also. Generally 2 laptops and a ps3 would be in use in the evening.
    UPC state they have no line rental, can I keep my same eircom phone number?
    Multiroom is €15 euro p/m with a €50 installation fee per room. Do I have to pay €15 per room per month?

Any answers would be appreciated as I may be waiting a while for UPC to respond.

Thanks

If your in an area that can get HD go for the HD boxes they are very good.
    Yes you can keep your Eircom number.

Multiroom is €5 per room.
    I have two consoles and a PC running off the connection no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Great thanks,
    I want to get on this right away but I dont know what to do first!? Do I just ring sky, setanta and eircom and tell them I want to cancel with a months notice from next payment date and order the upc bundle online as it offers free connection? If I have to cancel all a month from payment date i will be left without either internet or tv for 2 weeks. But will do whatever.

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    Great thanks,
    I want to get on this right away but I dont know what to do first!? Do I just ring sky, setanta and eircom and tell them I want to cancel with a months notice from next payment date and order the upc bundle online as it offers free connection? If I have to cancel all a month from payment date i will be left without either internet or tv for 2 weeks. But will do whatever.

If you cancel Eircom you will lose the number.

UPC will give you a new number.

If you want to keep your Eircom number you must first get UPC and sign a porting form and then Eircom gives UPC the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ndugu

Hi There

Need help.Im a UPC customer (both TV and broadband).I need to downgrade to just broadband.Recently sky installed a shared dish on our apartments and have been encouraging people to move to them.I dont want to join sky but I want to use their dish to connect to my satelite box (ccamline) and use the UPC broadband as I consider it better than sky.What i dont know is,does sky need to put some cables that connects the dish into my sitting room as I have on UPC cable or the dish can be connected through the UPC cables.With my box connected to the sky dish and internet I can get all the channels from sky and more.
    Help please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Why you open a three year old thread to ask this off topic question is puzzling. Wrong place for starters.

However, to answer your question. Yes. The installer will need to run cable from the satellite to your apartment. Otherwise, you won't get a signal! If your management company can get the installer to hook you up without joining Sky is a matter for them to discuss.

Some installers give the option of Sky or Freesat hook-up. Expect to pay a connection fee on install if you're not getting Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ndugu

@Mountjoy-sorry mate for opening an old thread.I hv been trying to figure out where I can open a new thread for my question but couldnt figure that out.It appears I might not have required permissions to do so,this is the reason why I risked in getting some guys here furious as I really need to know.

Thank you for your response.Much helpful

Advertisement