Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2009 - Meet-ups/When & Where are you going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Teamhar wrote: »
    Canadian job scene is pretty good at the mo and they're going to weather the current worldwide financial difficulties pretty well.

If you're looking for a serious job, you'll want a degree or else a whole lot of documented experience and good references. Casual work- retail, bars, restaurants- are easy enough to get. Bar and restaurant work is a great way to make easy cash as tipping is pretty much mandatory. Don't let a basic wage put you off as you might still do pretty well out of it with the tips. Flexible hours are great too.

Anyone who has degrees in engineering, medicine, nursing or other healthcare, teaching, law and host of others may need to re-license to work in certain professions in Canada. My cousin just spent a year doing Canadian law exams to qualify for the bar over there. You'd want to check it out on the Canadian government website http://canada.gc.ca/home.html

There is a demand in these professions, so don't let a bit of extra study put you off- the rewards are excellent, even if it means struggling pulling pints for a while.

Also good demand for experienced IT professionals and its one sector where experience counts more than a degree and you won't need to re-train. Recognised certifications help- MCSE, Cisco and security specialties are good.

Its statistically proven that immigrants make less than Canadian citizens for up to 5 years, but don't let that put you off. I'm sorry to say that it depends where you're from- Easter Europeans and Asians suffer more than those from Western Europe. Fluent English and decent French count for a lot.

Don't forget that the dollar goes a hell of a lot further than the Euro, so even if the wage sounds crap, you may be better off than you are here.

T.
    Thanks Teamhar still kind of leaning towards Oz cause i have been there before but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

anyone interested in meeting up HERE before we head over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

No
    Potcher wrote: »
    anyone interested in meeting up HERE before we head over?
    That's kinda WHY I started this thread - hence the title! ;) lol

:D yep i thought that, it's just I didnt see anyone suggesting anything. So should we pick a day, location and venue and see if theres any interest?

No
    Haha, yeah cool! I'd imagine a saturday/sunday would be the best bet for drinks??? or a week day for coffees? I'm brutal at thinking up stuff!:pac:
    Are most in the Dublin area? or is there anyone who'd be coming a distance so would prefer a weekend??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I'll do my best
    SOH32 wrote: »
    I'm No. 63 on the waiting list & hopefull that extra places will be made available. Was hoping to go in late May so that timing may be a little too ambitious now!

What kinda posters are considering heading over? Just finished college? Recently been made redundant? Or simply those looking for an alternative for the year out?

Im just finished college in may, was gonna travel anyway but the current work situation would have forced me to leave anyway...what about you?

No
    What kinda posters are considering heading over? Just finished college? Recently been made redundant? Or simply those looking for an alternative for the year out?
    mac123 wrote: »
    Im just finished college in may, was gonna travel anyway but the current work situation would have forced me to leave anyway...what about you?

Sorry SOH32, I didn't see your post!
    I'm heading on the u/35, I've worked for over 10 years, decided on a career-change so studied for 2 years, set-up my own business last year, but I picked the wrong industry at the wrong time so need to wrap it up :( So took it as fate's way of telling me to go 'find myself' I guess :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Canada's great

I was in Toronto for a month last Aug/Sept and loved it

so depressin comin back here :(

so doin the same this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Hey, sorry i posted this in the other Canada thread too but im really woried and panicing like mad. Any help/advice will result in a massive hug if i actually get to canada

I booked my visa (student one) ages ago but have been waiting to send away my info because the Gards have been messing me about with the cert for practically 6 nad a half weeks now. The particular garda i was talking to was really nice and said he'd rush it through because i was cutting it a little close, even rang the day after to say it was sent off.

However everytime i ring to find out whats going on, i get sent to 4 or 5 different people who say i need to talk to someone else, finally get through to the right office, am told the woman only works 9 to 1 everyday, yet when i rang the office the next day a woman answered, i foolishly say"hello is that michelle"who panics and said shes not in work today.

I really getting worried now that through the crappyness of the gards im after wasting 400e. Will i just send my info off now, or am i stuck on a bloody huge waiting list?

When did you apply for the Police Certs?

Go into the station in person

they hate answerin the phone, and its easier to hang up the phone than tell someone to piss off in person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Took me three times, plus a trip down to Raheny to tell them what the hell was going on just to get the form filled out.

Il be in there monday morning though, feck my accounting lecture it can wait!!

Got the oul polis certificate last fri so all systems go with the forms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Undecided
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 codeblack

I'll do my best
    Am i glad for this thread!!! I think I'll be heading over to Toronto maybe around July, and I'm nervous as hell but so excited, it'd be great to know some people before I go and over there too. I still dont know whether to stay in Toronto or move to Vancouver after that. Part of me can't believe I'm actually doing this, while the other side is so excited to finally do something different with my life.:D
    Its getting harder and harder to get any job here in Ireland, much less a job in the field I've spent 4 years studying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ze4400

I'm No. 63 on the waiting list & hopefull that extra places will be made available. Was hoping to go in late May so that timing may be a little too ambitious now!

Hey SOH, I'm no. 29 on the list. Applied for it straight after the usit talk last sat week. As another poster said they will be releasing more visas in the coming weeks and a certain percentage of them don't get taken up for whatever reason. I'm an engineer (construction), still in work but can see the edge of the cliff fast approaching. Canada looks like an amazing country, so maybe its a case of every cloud has a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SOH32

I'll do my best
    ze4400 wrote: »
    Hey SOH, I'm no. 29 on the list. Applied for it straight after the usit talk last sat week. As another poster said they will be releasing more visas in the coming weeks and a certain percentage of them don't get taken up for whatever reason. I'm an engineer (construction), still in work but can see the edge of the cliff fast approaching. Canada looks like an amazing country, so maybe its a case of every cloud has a silver lining.

thats interesting as I applied on the Monday following the talk & ended up at 63 on list! Fingers crossed that the additional quota will be released. I have started to get the paperwork together in any case.

I agree that Canada looks amazing so may well be a good place to take refuge!

Am i glad for this thread!!! I think I'll be heading over to Toronto maybe around July, and I'm nervous as hell but so excited, it'd be great to know some people before I go and over there too. I still dont know whether to stay in Toronto or move to Vancouver after that. Part of me can't believe I'm actually doing this, while the other side is so excited to finally do something different with my life.:D
    Its getting harder and harder to get any job here in Ireland, much less a job in the field I've spent 4 years studying for.

Have u applied for the visa?

Toronto and Vancouver are pretty different, and miles away from eachother, about 4,000 actually

So ye should prob stick to one

Also, when its not spring/summer [Late September to around the end of March] theres REALLY heavy snow and low temperatures

Undecided

So wheres the best place to meet up then Dublin??? Some saturday???

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shinnac

Hey

well i applied last week and am at number 150 on the list so not sure what my chances are now!!! Any one know how many extra ones they are releasing???

• Advertisement

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Also one more question to add. My current passport in due to expire early next year. Does this mean I must wait for a new one to arrive before I can apply, or can I apply with my current one and edit the details once my new one arrives?
    I think ye can. it mentions this on the website

Just check for sure as U hafta give your passport number in the application

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Got the oul polis certificate last fri so all systems go with the forms now.

Do you mind me asking how long it took? I got my Garda one done last week but i'm still hanging out for my Oz Po-lice clearance that i sent away 3 weeks ago.

Also wondering how they know where they lie on the list? Do you only find this out after you submit full forms or do you get it on initial registration?

Cheers

Undecided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cripes. all gone in a month or thereabouts. How many do they issue?
    What would have been the average before? Would it have taken 2 or 3 months before all the visas had been taken?
    Not that I was planning on going this year, but to bear in mind if things get worse, though one can only assume the competition for visas will increase as well for next year...
    I'll have to be on the ball big time...

ibh wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how long it took? I got my Garda one done last week but i'm still hanging out for my Oz Po-lice clearance that i sent away 3 weeks ago.

Also wondering how they know where they lie on the list? Do you only find this out after you submit full forms or do you get it on initial registration?

Cheers

It was only the Garda one that I got. Still have to send the forms to canada. I was happy I got it cause it's been a colourful life to say the least. I thought I'd be refused it.

No
    Hey,
    Have been thinking about doing this for months now and am really keen on the idea. Am I too late to apply for a student visa? Not too pushed on when I want to go. Doesn't have to specifically be the summer. And is Usit the best place to go through?
    Thanks
    The student programme is still open for now..
    Also one more question to add. My current passport in due to expire early next year. Does this mean I must wait for a new one to arrive before I can apply, or can I apply with my current one and edit the details once my new one arrives?
    You can register with your old passport but you must have your new passport details on the actual application forms
    What if I don’t have a valid passport at the time of application?
    You will still be able to register and hold a place on the programme on the opening date, however you will not be able to complete the application process until you obtain a new passport. Once you obtain a new passport you should login to your application and follow the procedures accordingly. You must do this within 30 days of registering – failure to do this will delay the processing of your application and could lead to your application being cancelled.
    So wheres the best place to meet up then Dublin??? Some saturday???

Hi floatingsmartie! well guys shall I get the ball rolling and suggest maybe saturday 21st Feb for now, for about 6pm at Starbucks on Dame st??
    that way, if anyone's coming from outside Dublin it's early enough for them to meet for a bit and still head home at a decent time?? and anyone who's around for the evening can go for a drink nearby after?:confused: Trying to consider everyone here...:o
    seachto7 wrote: »
    Cripes. all gone in a month or thereabouts. How many do they issue?
    What would have been the average before? Would it have taken 2 or 3 months before all the visas had been taken?
    Not that I was planning on going this year, but to bear in mind if things get worse, though one can only assume the competition for visas will increase as well for next year...
    I'll have to be on the ball big time...
    were you looking for the u/35 or the student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 codeblack

I'll do my best
    unreggd wrote: »
    Have u applied for the visa?

Toronto and Vancouver are pretty different, and miles away from eachother, about 4,000 actually

So ye should prob stick to one

Also, when its not spring/summer [Late September to around the end of March] theres REALLY heavy snow and low temperatures

I have indeed applied for a visa, luckily I'm a student as all the U35 isnt taking anymore applicants.

lol! dont worry, I have done loads of research about weather etc. I think the ambitious side of me wants to cover as much of Canada as I can. I would be happy to settle in Toronto though.

Also, Hi Cazlou!! That sounds great!

Undecided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cazlou wrote: »
    were you looking for the u/35 or the student?

it was the u/35. No major dramas as I had planned on possibly going next year, but I would have gone maybe the end of this year if it came to it.
    I was thinking of doing a reccie trip this year to check out Montreal (I speak French). Mate of mine lives in Vancouver though, and said he's put me up if I went for a few days...

Just worried now I might not even get one next year...

• Advertisement

No
    Also, Hi Cazlou!! That sounds great!
    :cool: hopefully there'll be a few around for then!
    Is there any hope that the under 35 one will reopen or is there any other way for my mate to get a visa? We were thinking of heading together but he just missed out. :(
    seachto7 wrote: »
    it was the u/35. No major dramas as I had planned on possibly going next year, but I would have gone maybe the end of this year if it came to it.
    I was thinking of doing a reccie trip this year to check out Montreal (I speak French). Mate of mine lives in Vancouver though, and said he's put me up if I went for a few days...

Just worried now I might not even get one next year...

I'd never say never when it comes to it reopening, I THINK it closed and reopened last year around autumn - I could be wrong, but I'm nearly sure someone mentioned it in a post from back then. I'd imagine that this year there was a flurry of applications after the open day, and they'd want to keep track of the interest that's there. Clear the waiting-list a bit and see whether there's many cancellations/refusals etc before the list got too long

Advertisement