Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2009 - Meet-ups/When & Where are you going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

though I'm now thinking, how many people from the UK have gone over, and if work is getting thin on the ground, maybe they won't release ay more visas....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

No
    seachto7 wrote: »
    though I'm now thinking, how many people from the UK have gone over, and if work is getting thin on the ground, maybe they won't release ay more visas....
    I would take it that they have a set amount of visas to offer and it all depends how many of the people who registered go ahead and apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

No, but hopefully in future
    Just finishing off the application forms now, sending them to USIT today. I'm in Galway myself and am looking to head for Vancouver and hopefully work in the ski resort area of Whistler for the year.

I am scared out of my mind but really looking forward to it at the same time ... I have VTS (Virgin Traveller Syndrome) :D

If anybody else is thinking of the same or has worked in Whistler before i'd love to hear any information or stories y'all have!

John :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 themodernage

hows everyone?

i applied after xmas 2008, and was accepted. waiting at the moment patiently to go, and just booked my flight to vancouver on april 1st(april fools day). am moving to toronto i think for the summer. but plans may change. im 23 by the way.

like everyone else i feel completely robbed by usit and im looking for ways to give as little of my money to them as possible.

someone somewhere mentioned www.accidentgeneral.ie as a site for insurance. how has anybody elses experiance been like with this insurance, has usit accepted it? how do i go about sorting it with them? from their site insurance seems to cost 280 euro, which is a decent save on usits extortionate price.

usit have given me a week from today to sort out insurance, and i nearly cried when they quoted me their price of 541 euro. any feedback would be much appreciated.

good luck to everyone else on their application and their trip to mighty canada. im nervous but exited. its a bit of a hail mary choice for me and im going alone. anybody else in the same boat as me and staying in toronto?

as for meeting up, im from galway so wont be able to do that. but might be willing to meet up over there.

No
    GunScope wrote: »
    Just finishing off the application forms now, sending them to USIT today. I'm in Galway myself and am looking to head for Vancouver and hopefully work in the ski resort area of Whistler for the year.
    I am scared out of my mind but really looking forward to it at the same time ... I have VTS (Virgin Traveller Syndrome) :D
    If anybody else is thinking of the same or has worked in Whistler before i'd love to hear any information or stories y'all have!
    John :)
    Hey John, when are you hoping to go?
    hows everyone?

i applied after xmas 2008, and was accepted. waiting at the moment patiently to go, and just booked my flight to vancouver on april 1st(april fools day). am moving to toronto i think for the summer. but plans may change. im 23 by the way.

good luck to everyone else on their application and their trip to mighty canada. im nervous but exited. its a bit of a hail mary choice for me and im going alone. anybody else in the same boat as me and staying in toronto?

as for meeting up, im from galway so wont be able to do that. but might be willing to meet up over there.
    Heya, you've booked your flights through usit yeah? can I ask roughly how much they were? when did you get word of your approval? I'm really getting p-ed off with the Canadian Authority, :mad:what's the big deal about wanting to go 3 days earlier :( I can wait 3 days to leave - Aaaaaaaarrrrghhh!!!! :( Sorry, I'm also going alone and getting itchy(er) feet as each day passes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 themodernage

by accepted i mean that they didnt put me on a waiting list like last year. they put me straight on the program.

i took it that they accepted my money straight away as a good sign!

i booked to fly into vancouver and out of toronto next year.

cost me 778euro.

but if you book toronto return it should be more than a hundred euro cheaper.

the best thing is to ring this number and inquire; 01 602 1600.

they told me that my application should be processed around mid march. i just hope there will be no complications. but im guessing there will be.i dont know why it takes six weeks to process anyways. but there you go.

I'm working to save money at the moment, I will be flying out at the end of september/start of october. Sent my application in last week, now on 2 "Y",s so they have it anyways. :)

I would like to go earlier, but my plan is a big one, and so requires a bit more financial backup .... spend 12 months in canada, next to the USA on a wee road trip, then fly out over the pacific taking in some island stops and then onto New Zealand and Australia. i wouldn't mind staying on in any of these places for longer if sponsorship was available and I liked it there. :)

I'm reaallly looking forward to it, and with the way things are going in Ireland with recession and all, I think its about the right time to go.

No
    by accepted i mean that they didnt put me on a waiting list like last year. they put me straight on the program.
    i took it that they accepted my money straight away as a good sign!

i booked to fly into vancouver and out of toronto next year.
    cost me 778euro.
    but if you book toronto return it should be more than a hundred euro cheaper.
    the best thing is to ring this number and inquire; 01 602 1600.

they told me that my application should be processed around mid march. i just hope there will be no complications. but im guessing there will be.i dont know why it takes six weeks to process anyways. but there you go.
    Ahh kk, so you were able to book your flights before getting the approval, I didn't think they were allowing that. I might give them a call myself so to get an idea for dates so I can prepare a bit more! I'll be doing the flights the opposite to yourself, in through Toronto and back from Vancouver probably.
    GunScope wrote: »
    I'm working to save money at the moment, I will be flying out at the end of september/start of october. Sent my application in last week, now on 2 "Y",s so they have it anyways. :)

I would like to go earlier, but my plan is a big one, and so requires a bit more financial backup .... spend 12 months in canada, next to the USA on a wee road trip, then fly out over the pacific taking in some island stops and then onto New Zealand and Australia. i wouldn't mind staying on in any of these places for longer if sponsorship was available and I liked it there. :)

I'm reaallly looking forward to it, and with the way things are going in Ireland with recession and all, I think its about the right time to go.
    I likey your plan!:) If I survive the year in Canada alright, I'd love to get to the point where I'd be comfortable continuing my travels, but it's baby-steps for me at the moment. I'm considering heading from Toronto to Vancouver around October/November (hopefully via Churchill for the polar bears in October :D).

No
    Hey all!
    I have now added a poll at the start of the thread about having a Meet-up on saturday. Please vote so I can have an idea if there is an interest or not!:)

I have 3 "Y"'s woot, thats an approved application right there ... not oo long now :)

I hope the coffee evening is a success and is informative for all :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

I cant make this saturday the on after would be good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nevee13Dublin

Undecided
    Cazlou wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I have now added a poll at the start of the thread about having a Meet-up on saturday. Please vote so I can have an idea if there is an interest or not!:)

Hey Cazlou,

well done for having the initiative for organising a meet-up like this.
    I've voted and am going to try to make it this Sat, if it's going ahead.

We're on the waitlist - numbers 127 & 130. Really hoping to go later on this year so fingers crossed :)

No
    Potcher wrote: »
    I cant make this saturday the on after would be good though.

Well Potcher, we'll see how this week's goes, and if there's any available next too/either maybe we can do one then too! Don't want people to be left out - especially when you were one of the first to share an interest!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Newsflash:

Today my Work Authorisation Document was issued by the Canadian High Commission. AFAIK once my alternative insurance is ratified, and my flights are booked, I'm on my way, although I'm waiting to get concrete information from USIT on exactly what remains to be done before I can travel.

Cazlou, I know we were in and around the same batch, so I hope you also have good news this evening. If you don't, do not fret, I was the same last week when 'lonelyheart' told us he'd got his issued! If you haven't gotten the word yet, then surely you'll have it in the next week or two.

I've already emailed USIT for more information on what happens next, and as soon as I hear anything that could be useful, I'll let you guys know.

Cheers,

j

Congratulations juvenal ... nearly there :)

No
    juvenal wrote: »
    Newsflash:

Today my Work Authorisation Document was issued by the Canadian High Commission. AFAIK once my alternative insurance is ratified, and my flights are booked, I'm on my way, although I'm waiting to get concrete information from USIT on exactly what remains to be done before I can travel.

Cazlou, I know we were in and around the same batch, so I hope you also have good news this evening. If you don't, do not fret, I was the same last week when 'lonelyheart' told us he'd got his issued! If you haven't gotten the word yet, then surely you'll have it in the next week or two.

I've already emailed USIT for more information on what happens next, and as soon as I hear anything that could be useful, I'll let you guys know.

Cheers,

j
    Aww congrats Juvenal!!!! Delighted for ya :D
    I, on the other hand, am still waiting :( I'll give it til the end of this week and then I'll start freaking/panicking/crying! :o:pac:

Aww congrats Juvenal!!!! Delighted for ya :D
    I, on the other hand, am still waiting :( I'll give it til the end of this week and then I'll start freaking/panicking/crying! :o:pac:

I get the impression (this is a total guess though!), that the Work Auth Docs come back in a batch once a week? So, despite you not getting news today, it could be early next week when you get the nod.

If you email USIT just asking for an update, they may tell you when your actual file was sent to the CHC. They were able to tell me the exact date my paperwork was sent to London, which at least can be a comfort as you can start counting from there.

I also received confirmation this evening that my Insurance was approved, and I was emailed an invoice for the monies paid so far (€489 programme fee + €40 Alt Insurance admin fee). They told me I could book my flights at my earliest convenience, so I'll be on to them tomorrow to book, and hopefully travel in the next couple of weeks.

Tomorrow I hope to have some more news re flights, and I'll see can I get average pricing for the various destinations under the programme as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

Well Potcher, we'll see how this week's goes, and if there's any available next too/either maybe we can do one then too! Don't want people to be left out - especially when you were one of the first to share an interest!;)

Cheers.:D Was off work there for a few days so no Web access. I sent the forms off to the USIT boyos on monday so just waiting now. Not quite sure what happens next!!

No
    I get the impression (this is a total guess though!), that the Work Auth Docs come back in a batch once a week? So, despite you not getting news today, it could be early next week when you get the nod.

If you email USIT just asking for an update, they may tell you when your actual file was sent to the CHC. They were able to tell me the exact date my paperwork was sent to London, which at least can be a comfort as you can start counting from there.

I also received confirmation this evening that my Insurance was approved, and I was emailed an invoice for the monies paid so far (€489 programme fee + €40 Alt Insurance admin fee). They told me I could book my flights at my earliest convenience, so I'll be on to them tomorrow to book, and hopefully travel in the next couple of weeks.

Tomorrow I hope to have some more news re flights, and I'll see can I get average pricing for the various destinations under the programme as well.
    Thanks Juvenal! I was planning on dropping them an email this week anyway, so I'll be doing that!
    When you sign up for the insurance with A&G do they email you the forms straight away? I've already gone through the quote system but don't want to purchase it until I know if I'm definitely going to need it!
    Potcher wrote: »
    Cheers.:D Was off work there for a few days so no Web access. I sent the forms off to the USIT boyos on monday so just waiting now. Not quite sure what happens next!!
    Welcome to the world of waiting - It's the most gutwrenching place to be!:p:D

Thanks Juvenal! I was planning on dropping them an email this week anyway, so I'll be doing that!
    When you sign up for the insurance with A&G do they email you the forms straight away? I've already gone through the quote system but don't want to purchase it until I know if I'm definitely going to need it!

When you purchase the travel insurance online, you will receive a receipt by email, and you'll also receive the policy details (a 56 page pdf file), which has the specific terms and conditions of the insurance. You have to submit a copy of the receipt (to prove you purchased it), the policy (the 56 page pdf), and the completed USIT Alternative Insurance Form with your payment details etc.

I tried submitting this information via email, but USIT will only accept it by post. Once they receive it, they'll process it and once it meets the criteria they'll approve it. They've probably seen hundreds of these policies, so the €40 charge is just another way of getting revenue.

Obviously the policy should be dated from when you enter Canada until when you leave, so if you're getting a one year policy the dates will have to exactly match the dates you're going to enter and leave so there is no period that you are not insured.

• Advertisement

No
    When you purchase the travel insurance online, you will receive a receipt by email, and you'll also receive the policy details (a 56 page pdf file), which has the specific terms and conditions of the insurance. You have to submit a copy of the receipt (to prove you purchased it), the policy (the 56 page pdf), and the completed USIT Alternative Insurance Form with your payment details etc.

I tried submitting this information via email, but USIT will only accept it by post. Once they receive it, they'll process it and once it meets the criteria they'll approve it. They've probably seen hundreds of these policies, so the €40 charge is just another way of getting revenue.

Obviously the policy should be dated from when you enter Canada until when you leave, so if you're getting a one year policy the dates will have to exactly match the dates you're going to enter and leave so there is no period that you are not insured.
    :eek: 56 pages???? That'll cost a fortune to get printed!:pac:
    Do I get request the Alt form from USIT? Or can I call in and pick one up from them? I'd probably go for the 2 year one too if I'm getting it (positive thinking, positive thinking! lol) in case I want to travel more at the end of the year :)

EDIT: Just checked the update page...something just made me do it...and since teatime it has changed from 4 green ticks to 5!:eek: I take it that means I'm good to go!?! :D:D:D

:eek: 56 pages???? That'll cost a fortune to get printed!:pac:
    Do I get request the Alt form from USIT? Or can I call in and pick one up from them? I'd probably go for the 2 year one too if I'm getting it (positive thinking, positive thinking! lol) in case I want to travel more at the end of the year :)

EDIT: Just checked the update page...something just made me do it...and since teatime it has changed from 4 green ticks to 5!:eek: I take it that means I'm good to go!?! :D:D:D

Yes, you're all set pending insurance and flights!

Email USIT immediately and ask them for the Alternative Insurance Form. They will email it to you, you complete, and submit the form, policy and receipt back to them. They should be able to approve your insurance in a couple of days if you're under pressure.

You can book your flights with the call centre, over the phone or in person. I did mine over the phone today and it was a doddle. They were about €80 more expensive with USIT than booking directly with aircanada.com, although I can change my dates for a €50 fee, which isn't bad at all.

You could book your flights for as soon as you wanted, provided that you're ready yourself to go, and the insurance approval should take a couple of days at most if they know you've a deadline to adhere to.

Good luck.:)

No
    Yes, you're all set pending insurance and flights!

Email USIT immediately and ask them for the Alternative Insurance Form. They will email it to you, you complete, and submit the form, policy and receipt back to them. They should be able to approve your insurance in a couple of days if you're under pressure.

You can book your flights with the call centre, over the phone or in person. I did mine over the phone today and it was a doddle. They were about €80 more expensive with USIT than booking directly with aircanada.com, although I can change my dates for a €50 fee, which isn't bad at all.

You could book your flights for as soon as you wanted, provided that you're ready yourself to go, and the insurance approval should take a couple of days at most if they know you've a deadline to adhere to.

Good luck.:)

Thanks J,
    gonna get sorted over the weekend methinks - the mother isn't in great form today so have to bide my time telling her I'm definitely off!:pac: Ergo, can't book just yet :rolleyes: Gives me a couple of days to decide where I'll leave from.
    The girl in the call-centre said that the tickets are 12-month open return tickets so I don't actually pick a return date, I can book that at any stage while I'm over there - they only need to know where I'll be flying home from. I thought it was a bit odd as I thought customs need a date of departure. Anyone else told the same thing??

The girl in the call-centre said that the tickets are 12-month open return tickets so I don't actually pick a return date, I can book that at any stage while I'm over there - they only need to know where I'll be flying home from. I thought it was a bit odd as I thought customs need a date of departure. Anyone else told the same thing??

Sounds a bit odd. My return date is provisionally set for Christmas, so that is only 10 months or so.

AFAIK a lot of airlines only allow bookings up to 330 days in advance, you your return date would be a dummy date, and you have a free date change then nearer the actual time. I did a couple of years around the world, and that's what we'd do; buy the ticket in advance, but only confirm the flights closer to the dates as you could only book so far in advance.

This is probably what she's talking about. You'll probably either have to nominate a random date and confirm or change later on, or else just choose the date closer to the travel time, as the airlines schedules etc aren't finalised that far in advance.

No
    Sounds a bit odd. My return date is provisionally set for Christmas, so that is only 10 months or so.

AFAIK a lot of airlines only allow bookings up to 330 days in advance, you your return date would be a dummy date, and you have a free date change then nearer the actual time. I did a couple of years around the world, and that's what we'd do; buy the ticket in advance, but only confirm the flights closer to the dates as you could only book so far in advance.

This is probably what she's talking about. You'll probably either have to nominate a random date and confirm or change later on, or else just choose the date closer to the travel time, as the airlines schedules etc aren't finalised that far in advance.

lol, yeah the next time I call I'll probably end up being given completely different information, I did ask her don't I need to give a date and she said "No, not at all, because it's only valid for 12-months it'll do" and she said we can only book on the phone whereas I thought we could do it in the offices too - aaah I'll know for sure soon enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Undecided
    Hi y'all, my first post on this topic.

I've been through the whole application process now at this stage (4 green ticks on my app, fingers still crossed) and have a point to make about the requirement to travel direct to/from Canada. I've a feeling this was concocted by USIT to facilitate the need for people to buy flights through them direct from Ireland. They are a serious bunch of t'leaves.
    After a lot of persistence in questioning USIT (and having my Canadian cousins asking the relevant peeps over there) I came to this conclusion because I heard nothing from the authorities to back this up while USIT insisted on it, so as such am off traveling elsewhere for 3 months before entering. I have no return flight, but have pleanty of cash to show I can purchase one as and when necessary(it is impossible for me to purchase a return flight through USIT as they wont book one more than 364 days in advance)

Also, Cazlou, I see you mention you plan to use 2 months of your visa to travel around Canada. While it may be bending the rules somewhat, I would be hopeful of working the full allocation of 12 months, then exiting and re-entering Canada on a tourist visa so as to maximize the benefits (that is to say, if I haven't been sponsored in the meantime!)

Can anyone tell me an insurance company that fullfills USITs requirements but also covers WinterSports? Prefereably for 18-24 months.

Cheers one and all, hope your applications are going smoothly!!

No
    vinylbomb wrote: »
    Hi y'all, my first post on this topic.

I've been through the whole application process now at this stage (4 green ticks on my app, fingers still crossed) and have a point to make about the requirement to travel direct to/from Canada. I've a feeling this was concocted by USIT to facilitate the need for people to buy flights through them direct from Ireland. They are a serious bunch of t'leaves.
    After a lot of persistence in questioning USIT (and having my Canadian cousins asking the relevant peeps over there) I came to this conclusion because I heard nothing from the authorities to back this up while USIT insisted on it, so as such am off traveling elsewhere for 3 months before entering. I have no return flight, but have pleanty of cash to show I can purchase one as and when necessary(it is impossible for me to purchase a return flight through USIT as they wont book one more than 364 days in advance)

Also, Cazlou, I see you mention you plan to use 2 months of your visa to travel around Canada. While it may be bending the rules somewhat, I would be hopeful of working the full allocation of 12 months, then exiting and re-entering Canada on a tourist visa so as to maximize the benefits (that is to say, if I haven't been sponsored in the meantime!)

Can anyone tell me an insurance company that fullfills USITs requirements but also covers WinterSports? Prefereably for 18-24 months.

Cheers one and all, hope your applications are going smoothly!!

From the USIT FAQs:
    Can I book a round the world ticket or enter Canada via somewhere else?
    This is allowed as long as you have a flight from Ireland that eventually returns to Ireland – please note that flying via some destinations may be very expensive, so if you’re thinking about doing the Tran-Siberian and flying one way from Beijing to Canada that you research the price of this before you set you itinerary in stone as this can be very costly. Please note that we cannot guarantee that you will be allowed entry to all of the countries on your itinerary, so please make sure you have all required/suggested documentation. Please also be aware that countries may not accept your Canadian visa as proof that you will be leaving their country, so you may want to pre-book your transportation from there to Canada.
    The point of having the flights originate in Ireland is, as has been stated before, so the CHC know that you haven't been elsewhere, possibly committed a crime or two, and then headed to Canada. It's to keep your history in check so that any Police Certs you've submitted are still valid - Someone else worded it a LOT better than I did if you look back through the threads...:pac:

As for USIT and booking return flights, this isn't a restriction by USIT, airlines don't release seats for flights more than 10 months in advance! THIS is why most people purchase dummy flights for the furthest dates possible, and then change the dates when in Canada.

Thanks, I am aware of the loophole to leave and reenter on the travel visa, but I may head elsewhere at the end of the year (saying I make it that far, lol) so I'd like to get as much as possible done in the 12 months.

As for alternate insurance, if you look through the last week or so of posts here or on the 'Canada!!' thread, there's a good bit of talk about insurances, including 24 month, thanks to Juvenal and Canada09 and some others
    Best of Luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Undecided
    [HTML]This is allowed as long as you have a flight from Ireland that eventually returns to Ireland

The point of having the flights originate in Ireland is, as has been stated before, so the CHC know that you haven't been elsewhere, possibly committed a crime or two, and then headed to Canada.[/HTML]

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but what this seems to say to me is you can get the visa while staying in Ireland, then go traveling, but have to return to Ireland to travel to Canada? Theres nothing in the documentation to suggest you must travel immediately on receipt of the visa.

[HTML]As for USIT and booking return flights, this isn't a restriction by USIT, airlines don't release seats for flights more than 10 months in advance! [/HTML]

My bad on this for not explaining my point properly here. I took USIT as the example travel agent, as they deem themselves as much as possible to be the only travel agent used in these process. So if you fancy going anywhere prior- or post-Visa you need to know exactly where you wish to go in order to book flights, incurring extra expense along the way for destination/date changes.

Anywho, these are minor foibles in the greater scheme of things, its just frustrating to have so much poxy unexplained bureaucracy to fight through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 taz30

Hi all!Anyone know about sponsering a hubby to work in Ontario?Im from Hamilton but have been living in ireland years.I was planning on going home six years ago but I ended up marrying an irishman!Was always planning on going home but ive been really missing it the last year.Im actually at the point now that the thought of being stuck in limerick forever makes me physically sick!That does happen to alot of people though!!!!!!!
    Basicly my kids are automatic citizens but my husband has a mound of paperwork-the big question is........would we be better doing the whole thing when were over there or trying to do it from here?This is still in the theory stages because my husband does only what suits him whenever it suits him so there is no point in starting the process when he could change his mind stop it and then a week later change it back!Government officials kind of frown at time wasters and that sort of thing.Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

vinylbomb wrote: »
    This is allowed as long as you have a flight from Ireland that eventually returns to Ireland

The point of having the flights originate in Ireland is, as has been stated before, so the CHC know that you haven't been elsewhere, possibly committed a crime or two, and then headed to Canada.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but what this seems to say to me is you can get the visa while staying in Ireland, then go traveling, but have to return to Ireland to travel to Canada? Theres nothing in the documentation to suggest you must travel immediately on receipt of the visa.

As for USIT and booking return flights, this isn't a restriction by USIT, airlines don't release seats for flights more than 10 months in advance!

My bad on this for not explaining my point properly here. I took USIT as the example travel agent, as they deem themselves as much as possible to be the only travel agent used in these process. So if you fancy going anywhere prior- or post-Visa you need to know exactly where you wish to go in order to book flights, incurring extra expense along the way for destination/date changes.

Anywho, these are minor foibles in the greater scheme of things, its just frustrating to have so much poxy unexplained bureaucracy to fight through!

I appreciate where you're coming from, and it's a farce that USIT are in a cartel and there is zero competition from any other agencies. I can only assume that this is partly because the Canadian Immigration Authorities have not allowed other agencies to get involved in the programme.

In any event, USIT receive your Work Authorisation Document from the CHC in London. Now, they say that they will not release this to you until your flights and insurance are booked, so it's kind of a catch 22. Sure, you can try and book your flights with another agency, but the reality appears to be that as they are your sponsors, they hold on to your documents until you've paid them the €€€.

I've had run ins with USIT before, but never had to actually book anything with them, preferring to take my business elsewhere. They are a money-grabbing business, but the fact is that they appear to have the Canada thing sown up. If you look at the USA J1 programmes for example, there are a variety of agents, USIT, SAYIT, goforless etc that are competing, that keep prices down and promote a bit of customer service as well.

If you can manage to find a way to force USIT to release your documents without booking flights, then fair play to you, and post it here! I reckon that even if you are planning on going elsewhere before Canada, then you'll be forced into booking something with USIT, be it a round-the-world ticket, flights from a third country, or direct flights to and from Canada.

I can't see them letting you go elsewhere and losing a few hundred Euro of revenue - if it were that easy I think we'd be all at it!

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you get on.:)

Advertisement