Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2009 - Meet-ups/When & Where are you going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

No
    vinylbomb wrote: »
    [html]This is allowed as long as you have a flight from Ireland that eventually returns to Ireland

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but what this seems to say to me is you can get the visa while staying in Ireland, then go traveling, but have to return to Ireland to travel to Canada? Theres nothing in the documentation to suggest you must travel immediately on receipt of the visa.

Ok, there seems to be a couple of points there so I'm trying to get where you're coming from (no pun intended)
    You must stay in Ireland, with the exception of short holidays, for the duration of the processing. Once you're cleared you can book your flights, from what I can gather... say you wanted to spend some time in the states before entering Canada... you book your flight out of Dublin to say.. New York and then book an onward flight for a month later from NY to Toronto or whichever city you choose to enter through, with USIT. Anything you do between those flights is up to you. Now obviously that's my interpretation so you'd need to double check with USIT etc
    But my point is, from what I can see, if you're travelling beforehand, it's the flights leading to Canada that need to be booked through USIT as they need to be on the documents for entering
    God I hope I'm making sense....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Cazlou wrote: »
    Ok, there seems to be a couple of points there so I'm trying to get where you're coming from (no pun intended)
    You must stay in Ireland, with the exception of short holidays, for the duration of the processing. Once you're cleared you can book your flights, from what I can gather... say you wanted to spend some time in the states before entering Canada... you book your flight out of Dublin to say.. New York and then book an onward flight for a month later from NY to Toronto or whichever city you choose to enter through, with USIT. Anything you do between those flights is up to you. Now obviously that's my interpretation so you'd need to double check with USIT etc
    But my point is, from what I can see, if you're travelling beforehand, it's the flights leading to Canada that need to be booked through USIT as they need to be on the documents for entering
    God I hope I'm making sense....:pac:

I get the impression that you'll have to book your main flights, i.e. across the Atlantic, with USIT. If you decide that you want to backpack around Europe in the meatime, or around the US/Central America, that's your business. I think USIT will force you to book your main travel flights (i.e. the ones that cost the most!) with them.

As Cazlou said, you should check with USIT as to what exactly you have to do. I cannot see them letting a situation develop where they forgo revenue, and I'm sure people could say they intend to travel elsewhere, but in fact their intention is to travel directly to Canada.

I'd check with USIT for specific information, as anything we know is just second-hand information, and I wouldn't be surprised if USIT have a different set of criteria depending on the specific situation.

No
    Hey all,
    just a quick note for anyone who hasn't voted in the meet-up, and may be around town tomorrow.
    I'll be there by 6 and I'll have Canada travel books on the table to mark the spot. lol.
    If anyone wants a contact number just PM me
    and if anyone interested in a future meet-up can either post when they're available or PM me and I'll keep note! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I'll do my best
    so how did the meet up go?

No
    mac123 wrote: »
    so how did the meet up go?

It didn't!......:(:pac: well not as regards other boardsies anyway. I was there with a canadian friend of mine for 2 hours, and as a result I may change the order of my travel plans.. I'll be deciding either today or tomorrow.
    I don't know if there's any point suggesting another day.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

No, but hopefully in future
    Thats a pity Caz, well done for attempting to organize something anyways, I'm not from Dublin town, so it was a bit out of my way with work and all.

I'm pretty sure on my travel plans anyways, and neither hell or high water is going to stop me .... well unless the high water happens to cover the runway .... that could be awkward. :D

Best of Luck with your decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Undecided
    I couldnt make it as was out of the city for the weekend, but fair play for trying to get something together.
    If you're in Van after July I'll buy you a drink as thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Undecided
    [QUOTE=juvenal;59116708
    If you can manage to find a way to force USIT to release your documents without booking flights, then fair play to you, and post it here! I reckon that even if you are planning on going elsewhere before Canada, then you'll be forced into booking something with USIT, be it a round-the-world ticket, flights from a third country, or direct flights to and from Canada.

I can't see them letting you go elsewhere and losing a few hundred Euro of revenue - if it were that easy I think we'd be all at it!

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you get on.:)[/QUOTE]

Just to let you know where I stand on this. Basically I got USIT down to booking a one way transatlantic flight (so potentially you could fly to New York, and organise a cheap connector flight yourself) as the sole concrete requirement that must be booked with them. Thats to say, while they still require insurance etc and some other bits and bobs, that is the bare minimum you have to purchase from them.

They impressed upon me that they a) "would not be responsible for me not gaining entry into any other country en route to Canada", that b) the final say on allowing me into Canada rested with the local authorities and c) that I would be required to provide evidence of funds sufficient to purchase a flight back to Ireland (they figure 4k Canadian !?!?!).

In answer to these point
    a) I don't know of any travel agent that guarantees anyone entry into any country, I was under the impression was that they facilitated travel!
    b) This is obvious from the outset.
    c) It would be foolhardy to go there and be short the relevant cash to do this. Although I think they have been reading me a price quote to go home to the moon, not Ireland.

Anywho, I am nearly there, hoping to bolt off in April, getting up to Van in early July. The first round is on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

My feckin application form came back the stamp was in the wrong place on the garda form and I have to fill out an "affiliations" box??? What the hell goes in there??

No
    Potcher wrote: »
    My feckin application form came back the stamp was in the wrong place on the garda form and I have to fill out an "affiliations" box??? What the hell goes in there??

Sorry Potcher I haven't a clue what is done in that situation. Maybe if you ring/call into your Garda station and ask them? Or else drop USIT an email. I always find them very quick at replying.

• Advertisement

No
    Hey All,
    If anyone's around this saturday for a natter drop me a post or a pm as I can't add another poll :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Hi All,
    I'm a bit late to this tread, but here's my story anyhow, I've applied for, and been granted the under35 work visa. I'm 30 years old from Galway and applied for this programme last October along with 2 other friends.
    Both of these guy's have pull out, one's decided to buy a house and the other to get married! So I'm kinda on my own here.
    My situation is that I'm self employed, I'm a carpenter and where as the construction industry has slowed I would have enough contacts, work and resoucse to see myself through a period of deep recession here.
    However, due to my age, I'm begining to feel this is probably my last chance at uping stick's and traveling whilst I'm still in my prime.
    I look at friends around home, even just a couple of years older than me, and can see that they will never venture abroad, and it scares me to think I could easily find myself in that position in as little as 24 MONTHS:eek:
    On the other hand I have never travelled futher than to Dublin by myself and even the though of booking the flights to Canada freaks me out, especially when I have it so comfortable here at home, I feel like I'm staring in to the abyss!........And this is what excites me about taking this step.
    So I would love to hear from other 'soloers' out there, and basically any info from anyone regarding taking the Canada trip.

I hope this post is at home on this thread, and please ask me any questions that I may be able to help you with.

Peace and Love! Kev:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Undecided
    This post has been deleted.

I have been granted the work auth docs .... woot.
    Now to apply for the flight :rolleyes:

kevcos wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm a bit late to this tread, but here's my story anyhow, I've applied for, and been granted the under35 work visa. I'm 30 years old from Galway and applied for this programme last October along with 2 other friends.
    Both of these guy's have pull out, one's decided to buy a house and the other to get married! So I'm kinda on my own here.
    My situation is that I'm self employed, I'm a carpenter and where as the construction industry has slowed I would have enough contacts, work and resoucse to see myself through a period of deep recession here.
    However, due to my age, I'm begining to feel this is probably my last chance at uping stick's and traveling whilst I'm still in my prime.
    I look at friends around home, even just a couple of years older than me, and can see that they will never venture abroad, and it scares me to think I could easily find myself in that position in as little as 24 MONTHS:eek:
    On the other hand I have never travelled futher than to Dublin by myself and even the though of booking the flights to Canada freaks me out, especially when I have it so comfortable here at home, I feel like I'm staring in to the abyss!........And this is what excites me about taking this step.
    So I would love to hear from other 'soloers' out there, and basically any info from anyone regarding taking the Canada trip.

I hope this post is at home on this thread, and please ask me any questions that I may be able to help you with.

Hi Kev,

You have to weigh up your options carefully. If its something that you really want to do and feel you may regrets if you don't go, then don't let travelling alone stop you.

I know its a big decision to make, but at the end of the day, you only live once, and if you head off for a year or two, you 'll make alot of memories and gained a world of experience.

You only live once, so live it well :rolleyes:

No
    Hi All,
    I'm begining to feel this is probably my last chance at uping stick's and traveling whilst I'm still in my prime.
    The part in bold is what stood out for me - as Gunscope says, if it's something you think you'll regret not doing - then go for it!
    I've barely travelled alone myself, and I had a meltdown a couple of nights ago when it all hit me, but there's no way on earth I'm gonna back out of it. I equally terrified/excited/anxious/happy about the prospect of being on my own, the thoughts of still being stuck in the same rut over here convinces me all the more that it's something I need to do.
    Best of luck with your decision! :)
    -Phuqer- wrote: »
    Finally applied :)
    Well done!
    GunScope wrote: »
    I have been granted the work auth docs .... woot.
    Now to apply for the flight :rolleyes:
    Congratulations!!!! hope you get a good deal!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

Hi All,

Hi theres two of us going but I don't know the other guy that well due to people pulling out. I'm afraid I wont be able to find a job as I dont have very much funds going. The last thing I want is to have to come home after a few months... but I fell its now or never!

Hi All,

I'm doing the same thing. Never been further than england and I'm heading off on my own aswell. I'm 29 and want to head before I'm 30. It's a chance but lots of people are taking the same chance. I'm leaving a full time job!!!

No
    Hey All!
    Thought I'd stick my head in as the Canada threads are going pretty quiet. Is everyone pretty much sorted at the moment?
    I'm heading in 2 weeks :eek: fly to Vancouver on the 8th April - and even though I have a friend to stay with for a few days I'm still very much interested in meeting up with other boardsies! I'll be attending the orientation on the 9th so if there's anyone else around for that make yourselves known to me! :D and even anyone coming after that time!
    I was looking up accommodation and stuff and in some cases it's cheaper to rent a house/apartment between a few people so even if there was a way of getting together in the hope of possibly sharing!?!
    Sorry just sticking up random ideas as they occur to me! :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 themodernage

Cazlou wrote: »
    Hey All!
    Thought I'd stick my head in as the Canada threads are going pretty quiet. Is everyone pretty much sorted at the moment?
    I'm heading in 2 weeks :eek: fly to Vancouver on the 8th April - and even though I have a friend to stay with for a few days I'm still very much interested in meeting up with other boardsies! I'll be attending the orientation on the 9th so if there's anyone else around for that make yourselves known to me! :D and even anyone coming after that time!
    I was looking up accommodation and stuff and in some cases it's cheaper to rent a house/apartment between a few people so even if there was a way of getting together in the hope of possibly sharing!?!
    Sorry just sticking up random ideas as they occur to me! :o:D

hows it going? im flying out to V.c next wednesday and might be interested in that house sharing arrangement as im by myself!
    im visiting friends there though and originally planned to go to toronto for the summer as i seem to have good contacts there, but i like v.c i may settle! anyways cant say much more now as im busy arranging everything and am stressed!

bon voyage

• Advertisement

No

hows it going? im flying out to V.c next wednesday and might be interested in that house sharing arrangement as im by myself!
    im visiting friends there though and originally planned to go to toronto for the summer as i seem to have good contacts there, but i like v.c i may settle! anyways cant say much more now as im busy arranging everything and am stressed!

bon voyage
    Hiya
    Are you hitting the orientation on the 2nd so? if you're still around on the 8th let me know - my facebook's on my profile either. I'm the same, as in sussing out the area and making a decision then, I think the fact that I have a friend over that way, I may stay there for a while anyway.
    Have a safe journey if you're not on here before you go!!

Undecided

I'll do my best
    Hey,
    Have applied for my student visa and all. Just waiting on a new passport. I have decided that the college course I'm in at the moment is not for me. Would like to drop out and return to college next year after my year in Canada. The thing is if I dropped out of college would I lose my student Visa which I'm in the process of getting?

Anyone here know or will I ask Usit?

dont drop out until you have applied for the visa. you need a stamp from your college so wait until you have all the forms sent!

Undecided

I'll do my best
    Ah right cool. but what if I get the forms stamped then drop out before the end of the year is it still possible to go yeah?

well id say once you have your visa your good to go, i doubt their gonna go checking up on you after that but i cant say for certain, im just assuming here. they accept final year students that are finishing in may though so i dont really see why there would be issues with it!
    id probably wait until all my flights were booked and i had the visa in hand before i dropped out though, just to be safe.

where you goin by the way?

I've been stuck at this point: 5. Work Auth Doc Issued No for about 4/5 weeks. how F'n long does it take!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Potcher wrote: »
    I've been stuck at this point: 5. Work Auth Doc Issued No for about 4/5 weeks. how F'n long does it take!!!

As in the fifth box is ticked? Then you have to go book your flights within two weeks.

Or if you waiting for it to be ticked, it took me about 6 6 1/2 weeks

No
    Drodan wrote: »
    As in the fifth box is ticked? Then you have to go book your flights within two weeks.

Or if you waiting for it to be ticked, it took me about 6 6 1/2 weeks

Noooooooooo!!!! That's not quite right, Drodan. The 2 week deadline is only for applications approved after 14th August:
    Book and pay for flights and insurance with USIT via the branch or Call Centre only. Participants should book their flights at least four weeks before departure. All participants who have been notified of their approval by 14 August 2009 must book and pay in full for their flights by the 14 August 2009. Applicants who are approved by the Canadian High Commission after that date must book in pay in full within 2 weeks of being notified of their approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Ah yes sorry I was only looking at the student part, typically studently reading only half of it then getting it wrong, oh well lol

• Advertisement

No
    Drodan wrote: »
    Ah yes sorry I was only looking at the student part, typically studently reading only half of it then getting it wrong, oh well lol

Lol, no probs! Just wanted to make sure noone panics! :D

Advertisement