Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2009 - Meet-ups/When & Where are you going?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Undecided
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I'll do my best
    im either trying couchsurfing or staying at a hostel for a few days until i find a room to rent.
    il be bringing about €3500 at a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Buttons09

Captain Morgan:

I have a hostel booked for 5 nights throught the USIT programme, just to get settled and hopefully set myself up with a place to rent within that first week. Probably be bringing a few grand over, but hope to get a job within the first 2 weeks if possible. When are you going?

Undecided

Going in May. Sorry I see in another post you're going as part of the student programme? I'm going over with the Under 35 Work Programme. We probably have different aims!

• Advertisement

Undecided

Same as that! I'm going for a year though. Isn't the student programme only for a few months? Whereabouts are you thinking of going? You going over with a group?

Undecided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

No
    :)
    Hey all!
    I've finally found some time to get online. Just wanted to give my story of the first week in Vancouver...well B.C.... :D

Left Dublin at 6.40am via Heathrow, check-in was fine - after massive panicking on my Dad's part about how my bags would be too heavy (and making me take heaps of stuff back out :() my bags ended up being wayyyy under the weight :mad: not that they even checked the weights at the airport :rolleyes:

Flight to London was the usual, although we were circling Heathrow for ages and my ears popped horribly leaving me pretty deaf for the rest of the looonnnng day. Moving between terminals was fine, like Juvenal said before, bags went straight through so just had present myself at check-in and head through security. Procured myself a few essentials (and a bottle of Jameson :D) at duty-free then headed for the plane.

The cabin-crew were fantastic! So so nice - well the ones we dealt with anyway. I lucked out on seating neighbours got 2 lovely girls around my age, one either side of me and we had great craic on the flight - LOADS of films to choose from on your personal screen. Everything from the classics to Marley & Me. Food was pretty good, and the staff kept bringing refreshments and water around which was great!!

Immigration: :( This is where is all started to take it's toll.... 3 hours of queuing.... luckily Sean Bean was on my flight and was in immigration too so I had him just in front of me in the line to gaze at for a while :o:D at least until one of the staff recognised him and fast-tracked him to the counter..lol
    It was about 4:30PM Vancouver (00:30am Dublin time) by the time I got out of the airport.. completely exhausted. I kept awake until about 9pm then passed out until 8am the following morning.

Orientation: was pretty good, they give you folders with loads of info, you fill out your SIN applications, and a girl came in with deals for mobile phones, unfortunately I don't have a credit card so couldn't get that deal but I got a decent deal with Fido in the Pacific shopping mall. Sorted out a bank account easily too, with TD Canada Trust, I had the blue swap folder in my hand when I walked in and one of the staff recognised it and set me up an account there and then :D

I's advise everyone to go to your orientation and any SWAP nights out. I had the orientation and 2 meet-ups in the one day and met a good few people. I was then out of the city for a week and just back to the hostel today, and meeting up with most of the people tonight. the SWAP staff are lovely and will help you with any queries you might have too.

The weather is scorching out at the moment so I'm off for a wander around the shops now. Anyone else coming to Vancouver feel free to message me if you have any questions or want someone to talk to before/when you get here!:)

Caroline

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

taz30 wrote: »
    Hi all!Anyone know about sponsering a hubby to work in Ontario?Im from Hamilton but have been living in ireland years.I was planning on going home six years ago but I ended up marrying an irishman!Was always planning on going home but ive been really missing it the last year.Im actually at the point now that the thought of being stuck in limerick forever makes me physically sick!That does happen to alot of people though!!!!!!!
    Basicly my kids are automatic citizens but my husband has a mound of paperwork-the big question is........would we be better doing the whole thing when were over there or trying to do it from here?This is still in the theory stages because my husband does only what suits him whenever it suits him so there is no point in starting the process when he could change his mind stop it and then a week later change it back!Government officials kind of frown at time wasters and that sort of thing.Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think that to immigrate to Canada, you do the paperwork from outside Canada. We were born in Canada, my brother married a girl from Taiwan - he lived there for a few years. Apparently it was easier to sponsor her to come here once they were legally married, so they married earlier than they had planned to hurry the immigration process along. She had to apply from outside the country. She came back and forth on a visitor visa. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lonelyheart

taz30 wrote: »
    Hi all!Anyone know about sponsering a hubby to work in Ontario?Im from Hamilton but have been living in ireland years.I was planning on going home six years ago but I ended up marrying an irishman!Was always planning on going home but ive been really missing it the last year.Im actually at the point now that the thought of being stuck in limerick forever makes me physically sick!That does happen to alot of people though!!!!!!!
    Basicly my kids are automatic citizens but my husband has a mound of paperwork-the big question is........would we be better doing the whole thing when were over there or trying to do it from here?This is still in the theory stages because my husband does only what suits him whenever it suits him so there is no point in starting the process when he could change his mind stop it and then a week later change it back!Government officials kind of frown at time wasters and that sort of thing.Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

just a quick fyi, there's a great forum with fantastic info from ppl who have already been through the whole process, the regulars are very willing to help with any questions! They'd know alot more about it than I would, its www.roadtocanada.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ze4400

Cazlou wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I've finally found some time to get online. Just wanted to give my story of the first week in Vancouver...well B.C.... :D

Left Dublin at 6.40am via Heathrow, check-in was fine - after massive panicking on my Dad's part about how my bags would be too heavy (and making me take heaps of stuff back out :() my bags ended up being wayyyy under the weight :mad: not that they even checked the weights at the airport :rolleyes:

Flight to London was the usual, although we were circling Heathrow for ages and my ears popped horribly leaving me pretty deaf for the rest of the looonnnng day. Moving between terminals was fine, like Juvenal said before, bags went straight through so just had present myself at check-in and head through security. Procured myself a few essentials (and a bottle of Jameson :D) at duty-free then headed for the plane.

The cabin-crew were fantastic! So so nice - well the ones we dealt with anyway. I lucked out on seating neighbours got 2 lovely girls around my age, one either side of me and we had great craic on the flight - LOADS of films to choose from on your personal screen. Everything from the classics to Marley & Me. Food was pretty good, and the staff kept bringing refreshments and water around which was great!!

Immigration: :( This is where is all started to take it's toll.... 3 hours of queuing.... luckily Sean Bean was on my flight and was in immigration too so I had him just in front of me in the line to gaze at for a while :o:D at least until one of the staff recognised him and fast-tracked him to the counter..lol
    It was about 4:30PM Vancouver (00:30am Dublin time) by the time I got out of the airport.. completely exhausted. I kept awake until about 9pm then passed out until 8am the following morning.

Orientation: was pretty good, they give you folders with loads of info, you fill out your SIN applications, and a girl came in with deals for mobile phones, unfortunately I don't have a credit card so couldn't get that deal but I got a decent deal with Fido in the Pacific shopping mall. Sorted out a bank account easily too, with TD Canada Trust, I had the blue swap folder in my hand when I walked in and one of the staff recognised it and set me up an account there and then :D

I's advise everyone to go to your orientation and any SWAP nights out. I had the orientation and 2 meet-ups in the one day and met a good few people. I was then out of the city for a week and just back to the hostel today, and meeting up with most of the people tonight. the SWAP staff are lovely and will help you with any queries you might have too.

The weather is scorching out at the moment so I'm off for a wander around the shops now. Anyone else coming to Vancouver feel free to message me if you have any questions or want someone to talk to before/when you get here!:)

Caroline

Cazlou I think youre great! Been a member of boards for years, more a voyeur than a poster, but your posts have been really helpful and informative. Got the visa for canada recently, still trying to decide between vancouver (whistler is a serious attracrion) and toronto. Goin on me onio but really excited about meetin new people, keep up the the good work!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I've gotten a place on the 1-year student visa programme, planning to go to Vancouver, probably in late August/early September. Was on holidays there a few years ago and I've always said I would return someday :D

Is there anybody who has already moved over to Vancouver? I'd love to get some tips about finding a job and a place to live, and just any advice about settling in a new city. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

I'm heading over end of june and landing in toronto. Not sure where i'll end up after that but i'll be starting there anyways. heading over on me ownio aswell so give me a shout if yer in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Just in case there is anyone here who is still hoping to get a visa, USIT have re-opened the student programme and they are re-opening the Under-35 programme on Tuesday, 12th May.

More info here:

http://canada.usit.ie/

Undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lorcanh

Just in case there is anyone here who is still hoping to get a visa, USIT have re-opened the student programme and they are re-opening the Under-35 programme on Tuesday, 12th May.

More info here:

http://canada.usit.ie/

Cheers for that. A mate of mine said he'd go but left it too late as well. He probably still won't go but no harm in letting him know. At this stage I was fine with the idea of travelling over on my own anyway especially after hearing about all the other people going solo. All I've got left to do is book my flights to Toronto and I'm all set. :)

Undecided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

No
    I've gotten a place on the 1-year student visa programme, planning to go to Vancouver, probably in late August/early September. Was on holidays there a few years ago and I've always said I would return someday :D

Is there anybody who has already moved over to Vancouver? I'd love to get some tips about finding a job and a place to live, and just any advice about settling in a new city. Cheers!

Hey, I don't know about tips as such, but just a quick note,
    everyone says to use craigslist for jobs and accommodation - personally I haven't found it all that great for jobs, probably depends if you're looking for something specific or not, but they're not great for responding.
    I've had best responses from places that advertised on there but posted a phone number or address, and by calling into them in person I've been asked there and then to come for interview.
    I also signed up with temping agencies and I've had some work with them already which is looking like it might lead to a long-term contract somewhere so I'm very happy with that.
    Just thought I'd share some of my experience anyway!
    lorcanh wrote: »
    Cheers for that. A mate of mine said he'd go but left it too late as well. He probably still won't go but no harm in letting him know. At this stage I was fine with the idea of travelling over on my own anyway especially after hearing about all the other people going solo. All I've got left to do is book my flights to Toronto and I'm all set. :)
    Going by your usernames I'm guessing you're lads, so you'll have no problems travelling on your own. Us lone-girls get some funny looks if we sit in a bar alone, luckily my hostel is pretty ok for that though, but lads can just pull up a stool at a bar no problem and get chatting to random people

Undecided

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

If I were you I'd wait until you get there. I was in Newfoundland two years ago and Rodgers reception wasn't great in that province. It could be different in other parts of Canada though, but I'd still wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

ak27 wrote: »
    If I were you I'd wait until you get there. I was in Newfoundland two years ago and Rodgers reception wasn't great in that province. It could be different in other parts of Canada though, but I'd still wait.

Yes, Rogers reception is not great in Newfoundland, but in most of southern Ontario it's great. Bell or Aliant is probably your best bet for Newfoundland. Western Canada I'm not sure. Best to check the phone company coverage maps before investing in a cell phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mindlet

Hi

I will be in Toronto in Oct-fancy meeting up in advance?

Tried to send ua PM Lorcan and dont think it sent-what's ur current update?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TedDiBiase

I'm off to Toronto on the 17th November to stay and work (hopefully) for a few months and then travel across to Vancancouver, again to work (hopefully - haha).

I'll be travelling solo and would be interested to know if someone was travelling around that time for a meet and greet before or after leaving Ireland??

It's ages away yet so I was curious to see what people are doing???

Undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TedDiBiase

Hey!!

I know it's a bit off yet like, but it sounds like a plan....

Erm, from what I remember my flights were about €700 return. I fly into Toronto and back from Vancouver. I'm going over in the hopes of getting work, any kind of work, pretty soon. Even if that means it has to be pre-arranged.

I'm guessing moving into a house share would be the trick to start getting to know the locals quickly and start picking up contacts.

Let me know what your story is anyway fella, PM me if you need and we'll suss it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MLE2008

This might not make a difference to your mate but good news is always nice! I put my name on the waiting list on May 26th and was no. 172. I just got a place about a hour ago by email... I'm goin to Vancouver :D:)!!

I'd say it's well worth anyone's while to give it a go.
    Has anyone any advice? I just wanna chill out and enjoy it for a few weeks but will need to work soon too unfortunately :( I'm heading over on me own in Sept... I'll probably get a shared house (I like the look of West End & Downtown) but where's good to meet people?

Thanks guys! :)

TedDiBiase wrote: »
    Hey!!

I know it's a bit off yet like, but it sounds like a plan....

Erm, from what I remember my flights were about €700 return. I fly into Toronto and back from Vancouver. I'm going over in the hopes of getting work, any kind of work, pretty soon. Even if that means it has to be pre-arranged.

I'm guessing moving into a house share would be the trick to start getting to know the locals quickly and start picking up contacts.

Let me know what your story is anyway fella, PM me if you need and we'll suss it out.
    Hey Ted

PM me if you want to meet some eve before we head away..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MLE2008

Hi all,

Travelsupermarket.com have flights to Vancouver 1 way for €230, bought mine last night.

Advertisement