Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the garda band be kept on?

• 22-01-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

I know people will say I'm only bringing this up because of the current desolate economic climate, but should the garda band be kept on?

For those who don't know, the garda band is made of professional musicians. Although they wear the uniform and are attested members, their induction consists of a two week course in Templemore and they don't have the power of arrest.

The reason I make this point is because they cannot perform normal operational duty in the course of their career, so transferring them out to stations isn't an option, unless they are assigned clerical duties.

AFAIK the garda band was reinstated in the early 1960's after a very long hiatus.

Is retaining a professional band an essential part of 21st century policing, or is it a throwback to the days of guards living in barracks and the organisation being more militaristic in character?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think the resources would really be better spent elsewhere having read your post but I don't know much about the resources they use up. What sort of budget do they have ?What costs do they have ?What is their number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Are you serious?

What about the Rose of Tralee?

Besides - they pull their (not insubstantial in many cases) weight.

They do Freeflow-2096187_18cf02a1cc.jpg

Public order and plain clothes-460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_band2.jpg

The beat-2858797416_c9200aa4d6.jpg%3Fv%3D0

. . .and undercover work-the_police-the_police-frontal.jpg
    (sting, gettit?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What is the fundamental role and purpose of the band?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

I know people will say I'm only bringing this up because of the current desolate economic climate, but should the garda band be kept on?

For those who don't know, the garda band is made of professional musicians. Although they wear the uniform and are attested members, their induction consists of a two week course in Templemore and they don't have the power of arrest.

The reason I make this point is because they cannot perform normal operational duty in the course of their career, so transferring them out to stations isn't an option, unless they are assigned clerical duties.

AFAIK the garda band was reinstated in the early 1960's after a very long hiatus.

Is retaining a professional band an essential part of 21st century policing, or is it a throwback to the days of guards living in barracks and the organisation being more militaristic in character?

Band members have the same powers as any other garda, and have served on the border afaik during the foot & mouth. There the public face of the garda at events up and down the country,the old folks love em.

Band members have the same powers as any other garda, and have served on the border afaik during the foot & mouth.
    onemanband-1.jpg
    There was some confusion when the memo about the Foot and Mouth reached some of the band members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

They keep me entertained at matches!

Hey, they play the anthems at matches, good to have members of the nations police and defence forces playing their national anthem imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

eroo wrote: »
    They keep me entertained at matches!

Hey, they play the anthems at matches, good to have members of the nations police and defence forces playing their national anthem imo!

We heard you the first time, anyway, yes they should go, and take the horses with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Band members have the same powers as any other garda
    They don't.

CLADA wrote: »
    and take the horses with them.
    That'd keep the dog unit happy.
    dog.food.jpg

They don't.

Your either an attested member or your not,there is no in between state.

• Advertisement

Your either an attested member or your not,there is no in between state.
    Without wanting to turn this into a "oh yes there is, oh no there isn't" pantomime type discussion, I'd ask you to backup that fact.

My assertion still stands that members of the garda band, whilst being attested, are not granted powers of arrest and only have to attend a two week course in Templemore as opposed to the usual training schedule of regular guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

They are attested but don't do the whole templemore thing.
    There was a female member of the band who wanted to leave the band and transfer into the regular units but the brass wouldnt let her so she sued. As far as i know, she won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

First I've heard of this. Immediate reaction is no, they should cut.

Without wanting to turn this into a "oh yes there is, oh no there isn't" pantomime type discussion, I'd ask you to backup that fact.

My assertion still stands that members of the garda band, whilst being attested, are not granted powers of arrest and only have to attend a two week course in Templemore as opposed to the usual training schedule of regular guards.

Not trying to be smart,but it's you that has to backup your view. Unless you can show me an Act, SI or regulation that limits the powers of members of the garda band then they assume the exact same powers as any other member.
    I do know they don't get full training,though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Mentioned here before, and posters were of the view that members are attested and do occasional patrol duty.

Not trying to be smart,but it's you that has to backup your view. Unless you can show me an Act, SI or regulation that limits the powers of members of the garda band then they assume the exact same powers as any other member.
    Then go look up the State Statute Books (yes, they are online!) for Article 7/Regulation 14 guards.

Yes, Metman, they do muck-in during Operation Freeflow, but then again so do probationers.

That just prevents members from transfering out of the band,doesn't limit any of their powers or prevent the band as a whole being directed to perform any duty as has happened previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Then go look up the State Statute Books (yes, they are online!) for Article 7/Regulation 14 guards.

Yes, Metman, they do muck-in during Operation Freeflow, but then again so do probationers.

Probationers have full powers of arrest so why wouldn't they do freeflow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

latenia wrote: »
    Man, there's a real whack of bacon on this forum.

Banned for a week for trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭foxtrot-oscar

TheNog wrote: »
    Banned for a week for trolling
    Good stuff

As for getting rid of them im not sure, do they bring in an income?

Sure if we get rid of them, bye bye army no.1 band and equestrain school etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

This thread has gone seriously off topic. If ye want to debate whether the Garda Band members have powers or not, please post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

They are attested but don't do the whole templemore thing.
    There was a female member of the band who wanted to leave the band and transfer into the regular units but the brass wouldnt let her so she sued. As far as i know, she won.

are u sure it wasnt the string section :P

On a more serious note, a fella who was on my unit in the castle transfered in from the band.

bryanmurr wrote: »
    On a more serious note, a fella who was on my unit in the castle transfered in from the band.
    Wasn't the late Brendan Campbell in the band?

I remember meeting a guy in Templemore who was a fromer band member on the bike course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

deadwood wrote: »
    I remember meeting a guy in Templemore who was a fromer band member on the bike course.

If that was about 10 years ago I was on that course. I remember him telling me that in order to perform operationally he just had to 6 weeks in Templemore and after that away he went fully empowered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's PR pure and simple. It keeps the Gardai visible at major events, portrays a professional, talented and clean cut image and most likely makes other Gardai more approachable.

They also bring a fair bit of joy and craic to the taxpayers.

Keep them on I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Probationers are attested members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

They don't.

They do!

they can be deployed if need be and considering their numbers are small I dont really see an issue. To be honest, people are blowing the economic situation out of all context. The money we had circulating hasnt been burnt, its just not being spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Good stuff

As for getting rid of them im not sure, do they bring in an income?

Sure if we get rid of them, bye bye army no.1 band and equestrain school etc

Why the No. 1 Band? They still do duties in the Barracks. The Horsey School is a waste of manpower though, get rid of it quick.

As for the Garda Band, I say keep it. The lads do a cracking job and they make a lovely racket.

TheNog wrote: »
    Band for a week for trolling
    :D

• Advertisement

Poccington wrote: »
    Why the No. 1 Band?
    How many bands were there?

(Was the No. 2 band [EMAIL="S*$%e"]S@$%e[/EMAIL] !!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭foxtrot-oscar

One hit wonder. they were always playing second fiddle and so on so forth, you seem to be better then me at these

One hit wonder. they were always playing second fiddle and so on so forth, you seem to be better then me at these
    Don't "beat" yourself up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bureau03

Degree Holder;;; They have full power of arrest, although Temple-more is longer than 2 weeks. When I was interviewed for Nationwide RTE, I mentioned this span and was told by a person in the band that I should have lied?? Odd. I DO NOT work for them anymore. Considering their smoking ethos it's sure to bring them all crashing!! Pity there doesn't seem to be any active intellectual-copyright segment of rank & file to cater for the larger music world both smoking and non smoking. adeaus..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

8 years. Ah, come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Welcome to 2009.

• Advertisement

They have full power of arrest form day 1, although Templemore is longer than TWO weeks. When I was interviewed for Nationwide RTE, I mentioned this shorter span and was told by a person in the band that I should have lied as to telling the public they do the full amount?? I DO NOT work for them anymore. Considering their smoking ethos it's sure to bring them all crashing! Pity they don't have an intellectual-copyright Unit for the greater world of music where plagiarism/infringement issues can occur.

ahhh well they'll get it the second time...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Zombie thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement