Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Roads to Ride

• 22-01-2009 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Where can i find some fun roads to go for a spin in the greater dublin area? I seldom seem to find a corner that isn't littered with manholes, bumps and potholes. I did enjoy a spin up around the Blue Light one day. Where do you guys like to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Sally Gap - Wiklow Mountains - "Roller Coaster Road"

That's where we go with my friend when we want to have fun! Only problem is I follow him as I haven't got a clue where it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'd echo what Steffano has said, its not in the Dublin area but not too far out either. In fact, you should just let loose in Wicklow, so many great roads there, its hard to not find a good one.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Back of the airport-onto M1 out to skerries for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭batman_oh

You want the Wicklow Gap not the Sally. They are right beside each other but the Sally gap is almost an offroad bike road, narrow and horribly bumpy. Good fun on the KTM 660 i had tho!
    Wicklow Gap is about the best road ive ever been on, my favourite anyway - great surface, fast, lots of crests to launch off :pac:
    tis the regular sunday thing during the summer
    Also roads around the area are fairly good too, plenty of nice ones like the rollercoaster and on out to arklow direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Back of the airport-onto M1 out to skerries for me!

I did that route one day 'cause I was bored, temps dropped below freezing that evening. I was in bits on the way home :(

I keep meaning to do one of the gaps, I take it I'll be doing the wicklow as I have enough of ****ty road surfaces in dublin. Just waiting for the weather to perk up, as it can be icy enough up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

I'm originally from Mayo, but living in Kildare. I went for a spin one day with a mate of mine out the N11 and headed for Roundwood and then on to Glendalough. Brilliant road for a spin on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

batman_oh wrote: »
    You want the Wicklow Gap not the Sally. They are right beside each other but the Sally gap is almost an offroad bike road, narrow and horribly bumpy. Good fun on the KTM 660 i had tho!
    Wicklow Gap is about the best road ive ever been on, my favourite anyway - great surface, fast, lots of crests to launch off :pac:
    tis the regular sunday thing during the summer
    Also roads around the area are fairly good too, plenty of nice ones like the rollercoaster and on out to arklow direction

We had some craic over that sally gap on the KTMs .. flat out and soft landings.

would be horrible on a spert bike though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My all time favourite is the N81, just after leaving Tallaght and then the rest of it.

Its biking bliss in my mind, I love all those curves. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

KTRIC wrote: »
    My all time favourite is the N81, just after leaving Tallaght and then the rest of it.

I think that's the road we end up on when coming from Laragh and doing the "Wiklow gap" (and not the "Sally Gap" as the "Gap" I know is definitely not narrow and bumpy!).

Basically we start by going all the way around the M50 and getting off in Sandyford. We then go through Stepaside and onwards to Laragh. We usually stop there and have a coffee then go have a crack at the roller coaster road. We then somehow end-up in Tallaght and back on the M50 then home...

Could we perhaps start making some nice routes in Google Maps to show people where the "nice roads" are?

I'd like to recommend this small stretch I found on Sunday morning between Julianstown and Duleek:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Julianstown,+Co.+Louth,+Ireland&geocode=&dirflg=&daddr=Duleek,+Meath,+Ireland&f=d&sll=53.674425,-6.286365&sspn=0.019016,0.055275&ie=UTF8&z=13

It's only 10km but by God I enjoyed them last week-end! And it was the only stretch of my long spin where the road was mostly dry on Sunday morning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

KTRIC wrote: »

+1

got lost once and ended up on this..very nice

• Advertisement
Advertisement