Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DN046-animal science?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

any information would be helpful

i'm in leaving cert and hoping to do this next year ,i've been ooking through the modules and basically i'm asking:
    Is it a science course?
    my career guidance teacher was sort of like" ah, okay ,well wouldn't you want a science subject?" when i mentioned it.
    so is it more the science of anmals or just another "how to be a farmer" course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

as far i know it is another "how to be a farmer" course as you put it
    maybe what your thinking of is more zoology which would be under DN008 science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Con Con

It is in the School of Agriculture, Food Science & Veterinary Medicine rather than the School of Biological and Environmental Science. So the degree you get will be in Ag Science rather than plain Science.

Overview: Understanding Your Degree
    Want to know more about animals? Want broad-ranging career opportunities in research, production, business and advisory roles? Then Animal Science might be for you.

Animal Science concentrates on the study of applied sciences such as genetics, animal physiology, animal nutrition and behaviour, health and welfare. These are fundamental to understanding how animals function - farm animals, companion animals and wildlife.

They also underpin the principles of livestock production. This degree is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide professional leadership and technical support for the dynamic and rapidly changing animal industry, which contributes 80% of Ireland's agricultural output. In particular, the objectives of this degree are to give you an understanding of:

- The growth and development of farm animals, how they function and of animal behaviour and welfare

- Animal production systems and how the components are integrated and managed in an environmentally friendly and sustainable manner

- The animal industry in Ireland, the context in which it operates and its relationship to animal industries in Europe and worldwide.

Career Opportunities
    Animal Science graduates have been highly successful in gaining employment in a wide variety of areas. These include:
    - Advisory and research
    - Animal feed industry
    - Procurement, processing and marketing of animal products
    - Second-level and agricultural education
    - Private consultancy
    - Farming and enterprise management.

In recent years, employment opportunities have arisen in both the public service and private industry. The Animal Science programme is also very suitable if you intend combining a professional career with part-time farming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

i've read the prospectus
    but i always think they sound more like a sales pitch than an information guide

e.g bovine restraint sytems=a few posts and a bit of wire
    animal gentics = good cow+good bull =good calf

Advertisement